NEurope
Ashley

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Spoilers Topic)

Care to elaborate?

There's nothing too exceptional about it. Standard controls, meh single player, decent multiplayer and there's not all that much depth to it. It's good but there's nothing amazing about it.

Come on, that's just not a valid argument.

I didn't realize this was an argument.

I've now unlocked:

Ness, Marth, Snake, Luigi, Game & watch, R.O.B., Falco, Captain Falcon, And Lucario.

Lucario is Exactly like Mewtwo. Snake is awesome, I think he may be my new best character.

I still need:

Ganondorf, Young Link, Wolf, Jigglypuff and Sonic.

I just played adventure mode and a few brawls on co-op with a friend all afternoon. The multiplayer is pretty awesome. I have yet to play a match online though.

There's nothing too exceptional about it. Standard controls, meh single player, decent multiplayer and there's not all that much depth to it. It's good but there's nothing amazing about it.

Mate, I think the first Halo deserved a 9, 3 deserved an 8, and I'm not exactly a fan of the series. That said, the injustice there was the MP:3 score. That game gets a good 9/10 in my book.

Halo has had a huge impact on the modern day shooter. It created the importance of melee attacks, recoverable health (taking cover after being shot at - health/shield regenerates), being only able to carry two main weapons at once (restricting the player's arsenal making them tactically think about what weapons they'll need) and grenades having their own button (instead of swapping to them, leaving yourself wide open for attack from enemies). These are all gameplay traits that can be found in modern shooter classics such as Call of Duty (4). To say the game doesn't have much depth to it is a very naive perception. In competitive play you need to know your guns; sure a shotgun can kill in one shot up-close but from 10 metres away you're going to get raped by someone with a Battle Rifle. Then there is the motion detector (radar) which detects all player movement within a certain range and only the most skilled players can use this to their advantage; if you hide and don't move people won't know you're there. One quick melee attack to the back and you've got yourself a kill. There's probably loads more to Halo that I don't even know about.

There are many quirks and techniques to be learnt in Halo, to deny its significance and depth is stupid.

The singleplayer of the first two is crap, I agree. The third slightly improved but still had a substandard campaign considering the game's acclaim. Counter Strike has no singleplayer though yet it is still one of the best and most popular team based shooters out there. That's because like Counter Strike Halo's substance is to be found in the multiplayer.

I'm in no way justifying Edge's 10s for both Halo and Halo 3, personally I think they're strong 9s like Resident Evil 4 a game that has also had a huge impact on shooters (Gears of War) and videogames (the now widespread use of quicktime events and cutscenes).

Wait a minute is this the smash bros thread?... (sorry for going way off topic)

Okay so why doesn't Halo 1 or 3 deserve a 10?

Halo 1 doesn't deserve a 10 or anywhere near it for a lot of reasons, mainly the single player: it's fucking terrible. The level design is attrocious, it's always the same thing, it's confusing and near the end, hey, let's go backtrack! Oh and exciting Warthog finale complete with controls that don't work on tight levels!

If the singleplayer was an extra and the multiplayer was the main mode, like UT it would be cool, asides from that, no. Halo 2 I loved and 3 didn't play much, so can't say much about it, besides that giving it a 10 and MP3 a 7, is ridiculous.

1201795223746on5.jpg

This is the general opinion I get about Halo.

Mmmm copypasta from the conflicting idiots of /v/.

Halo has had a huge impact on the modern day shooter. It created the importance of melee attacks, recoverable health (taking cover after being shot at - health/shield regenerates), being only able to carry two main weapons at once (restricting the player's arsenal making them tactically think about what weapons they'll need) and grenades having their own button (instead of swapping to them, leaving yourself wide open for attack from enemies). These are all gameplay traits that can be found in modern shooter classics such as Call of Duty (4). To say the game doesn't have much depth to it is a very naive perception. In competitive play you need to know your guns; sure a shotgun can kill in one shot up-close but from 10 metres away you're going to get raped by someone with a Battle Rifle. Then there is the motion detector (radar) which detects all player movement within a certain range and only the most skilled players can use this to their advantage; if you hide a don't move people won't know you're there. One quick melee attack to the back and you've got yourself a kill. There's probably loads more to Halo that I don't even know about.

All done before, it's just like Shino said, it's like people didn't play FPS' before.

Anyway, back to Brawl.

All done before, it's just like Shino said, it's like people didn't play FPS' before.

Alright, where?

You said it yourself, CS had melee attacks, and a strategic arsenal.

CS doesn't have Melee attacks, unless you count a knife, which has been around since Doom. (Fists/Chainsaw).

Alright, where?

Considering, I've been playing a gazillion FPS on the PC way before Halo came out, I can't come up with anything now, but I remember when Halo came out people said the same thing you're saying and I said the exact same thing, I can at least remember a limited number of weapons in CS (MoH:AA was like that too I think), and the back melee attack was in basically every game that had a melee attack. Realistic war games didn't have health bars either, although being realistic, you didn't recover.

I remember seeing some sort of wiki thing with that kind of stuff, I'll try to look it up. I'm not denying that these things are in vogue now because of Halo, I just know that I played lots of games with it before Halo coming out.

people when did this become a Halo thread?

Back to Brawl.

I went to the Dojo half expecting some sort of post about the game launching in the US and Europe still waiting... not even the courtesy to acknowledge our pain.

:mad:

Sorry to jump in right in the middle of things guys but this is the Brawl thread so could you try and swing the discussion back round towards Smash Bros.?

If theres more to be said on Halo then what about making a thread in Other Consoles? I'm sure more people would contribute! :)

Sometimes I wonder why I should even bother getting out of bed in the morning, knowing that Brawl won't be out any time soon. Haha.

I'm quite happy that G&W is in brawl, him and young link are my main's in Melee. I've been playing a LOT of Melee lately. Apparently he's not as light as before now too.

I went to the Dojo half expecting some sort of post about the game launching in the US and Europe still waiting... not even the courtesy to acknowledge our pain.

It's pretty fucking ridiculous and shows a complete lack of respect to Europe. I can somewhat understand the delay, but no date? It's not like this is Animal Crossing!

It's pretty fucking ridiculous and shows a complete lack of respect to Europe. I can somewhat understand the delay, but no date? It's not like this is Animal Crossing!

i really wanna make a good ranting angry vid for my youtube account, but once i do NoE will anounce something and make the vid void....wait a minute... maybe i'll do that tomorrow :indeed:

people when did this become a Halo thread?

Back to Brawl.

Just import it, It will be worth it, I'm expecting it will win countless awards, Game of the year, Best Music, Best Fighter, Ect. Its the best wii game yet. Its surpassed Galaxy and MP3.

Mine's been shipped too! :D Now to wat for the Freeloader to be shipped..

I didn't realize this was an argument.

It wasn't, but you can't just rule out two control schemes "because others say they're bad". What if you don't find them bad? :)

"It reminds me of being in some underground bar, sitting next to an overdressed man who is wafting his cigarette smoke through the air, the pinched corners of his mouth evidence enough that he is plotting something full of intrigue."

Sakurai wins lol

I find it hilarious that they blank out Game & Watch and Flat Zone 2, but the music for it titled: Game & Watch: Flat Zone 2, isnt hidden lol