NEurope
Ashley

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Spoilers Topic)

im confused with wavedashing, what specifically is it and how do you do it?

mewtwos wavedash...

I'd give it at least a couple of months first actually, just until everyone has unlocked all the characters and had time to experiment and find "their guy". To do otherwise would be sacrilege against the whole process.

Hmmmmm good point. Nonetheless, does anyone know any other forums that would be interested. We could set up some proper good rivalries.

im confused with wavedashing, what specifically is it and how do you do it?

mewtwos wavedash...

That video pretty much explains it. It's a long vid but it explains pretty much all the basic advance techniques including wavedashing and wavelanding, as well as explaining and giving examples to how they are useful.

basically, to wavedash, you need to air dodge at an angle into the ground. Try playing as Luigi on FD, jumping, then as you are about to hit the floor, air dodge into the level at an angle. If you do it right, Luigi will slide across the level.

The advantages are pretty big:

-It's a lot quicker than rolling.

-Unlike a roll, you can attack whilst performing it. This means when an opponent goes to attack you (say with a dash attack), you can wavedash back as they're about to hit you and then attack them.

-It allows weaker characters to space better against the better characters. This is especially evident with Luigi who's wavedash means he can actually attack the faster characters who would otherwise destroy him.

-If you wavedash off the edge of the level, you grab the edge. This can prevent your opponent from getting back on the stage.

An example of this last point is evident in this video of me and zell playing:

. 58seconds through it i quickly grab the edge and he dies..woo.

Edit: God we were awful back then..

This whole N-Europe team and inter-forums clashes is making me shiver with excitement.

I also hope the game has some advanced techniques, but not those like the wavedashing, which i still think is an exploit. And anyone that hangs on the edge should be vulnerable, so that the downed foe have a chance to come back.

I heard some of those techniques were already present in Smash 64 and that worries me.

Some people read WAY too much into this game. How can you get to the point where you take games so seriously that you dismiss fun characters because "their skill potential isn't the high enough"?

It really does make some of you guys sound obsessed, like you spend more time studying the game than you do enjoying it...

Some people read WAY too much into this game. How can you get to the point where you take games so seriously that you dismiss fun characters because "their skill potential isn't the high enough"?

Yeah but why would you want to choose to get good with a character who ultimately will beat very few people!

Most people are going to choose a character good enough to develope into an ultimate fighter; you play to win!

Apparently the latest Nintendo Power states that Sakurai is going to run a daily blog. If true, that's awesome, and it probably means Brawl's release isn't that far off.

Yeah but why would you want to choose to get good with a character who ultimately will beat very few people!

Most people are going to choose a character good enough to develope into an ultimate fighter; you play to win!

I play for fun. I will admit that I always use Roy when playing with my mates and they use Kirby, Marth and Roy and all the matches are pretty close. I didnt think Roy was a problem til I read comments on here, to be fair I still dont think he is :)

i played most of the time with adult link i kicked everyones ass with him haha

i hope when the game comes out that they bring enough copys for everyone not that i have to wait 6 month to get my hands on it haha

I don't know why I was complaining about wavedashing now. Me and my Smashing friends usually just laugh at it, and make jokes about the GameFAQs guide. "You can't be pro if you can't do these moves." Usually I'd do it and get hit straight away.

I'll still be Mario, simply because he has a really fun feel to him, but I can imagine there being such a vast concentration of "pros" that us funners will just end up staying offline and have to plan all of our online matches.

does anyone else find these countdowns and endless hyping annoying when its a cynical marketing attempt by a company and blantantly so.

does anyone else find these countdowns and endless hyping annoying when its a cynical marketing attempt by a company and blantantly so.

yes i very much do

I love it! I always get hyped up when something like this happens, it makes for great reading on message boards, especially when nothing new gets announced. I fall for it everytime :)

Yeah they are. Don't you love it?

I love it! I always get hyped up when something like this happens, it makes for great reading on message boards, especially when nothing new gets announced. I fall for it everytime :)

Same here.I get excited at what could possible get released.But if I know nothing will come out of it then I won't get hyped.I do think something will be shown on the news site though.

This whole N-Europe team and inter-forums clashes is making me shiver with excitement.

I also hope the game has some advanced techniques, but not those like the wavedashing, which i still think is an exploit. And anyone that hangs on the edge should be vulnerable, so that the downed foe have a chance to come back.

I heard some of those techniques were already present in Smash 64 and that worries me.

if you hang on the edge you are vulnerable. You're only invulnerable for about 20 frames of second; after that you can get hit. it's all about timing.

Also, wavedashing really isn't an exploit. Past interviews have shown that

that it was added into the game to remove glitches such as air-dodging through the levels. If you open up the debug menu you can see wavedashing was clearly programmed into the game and called 'land fall special'.

Smash 64 did have advance techniques, but Melee develops them further.

It really does make some of you guys sound obsessed, like you spend more time studying the game than you do enjoying it...

Erm no, you're kinda wrong there. I LOVE to play as Game & Watch and he's regarded as being one of the worst in the game (next to bowser and Mewtwo). Do I care? No, because it's fun playing as him. Playing as Fox and Marth is incredibly fun too (Fox more so because he's crazy good). I don't care that Game & Watch doesn't have 'as much skill potential'; i'll still play as him. However, if i was at a tourny and i was playing against someone chances are i'd pick Fox to play as because he fairs better in most matchups.

I don't think i or any other pro really 'studies' the game. I play Smash because i get A LOT of fun out of it, and everytime i play i learn new things, so the next time I play I can adapt what I have learnt into my playing strategy. It's more of a case of learning from mistakes than studying.

Infact, I can't wait for my maths exam tomorrow, because i'm going to zell's straight after to Smash. Actually can't wait :)

If someone ever edgehogged me then I would probably throw the Wavebird at his evil sneaky little face... Luckily my friends suck more than I do (in fact only two of them actually have the game).

People are confusing "using advanced techniques" with "playing seriously". I play for fun, yet I use advanced techniques.

Just because you know these techniques doesn't mean you can't your ass whooped! I have no idea wth you lot keep fighting over but all I know is, come online day you will all see who is the best :)

ME blates.

Erm no, you're kinda wrong there. I LOVE to play as Game & Watch and he's regarded as being one of the worst in the game (next to bowser and Mewtwo). Do I care? No, because it's fun playing as him. Playing as Fox and Marth is incredibly fun too (Fox more so because he's crazy good). I don't care that Game & Watch doesn't have 'as much skill potential'; i'll still play as him. However, if i was at a tourny and i was playing against someone chances are i'd pick Fox to play as because he fairs better in most matchups.

Mewtwo's being considered one of the worst characters in the game? That's bullshit, he's just extremely hard to master, but he has some really strong moves, and his jumping capabilities are worth every bit of training! Also, his throw is lovely.

No character is better than any other, some are just easier to master than others. At some time, I tried to beat Event 51 with Pichu, even almost succeeded, if I hadn't put the game down "for good" then.

That's the reason for Roy and Marth and many others being used by a fair deal of players: they are easy to master. I hate using them, though.

Having looked at all these "advanced techniques" I'm glad to see they're nothing like snaking in MKDS, which I believe to be tantamount to setting your golfing opponent on fire.