Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Mario Galaxy

Ashley

http://www.cubed3.com/news/5335

Miyamoto Talks Mario Galaxy

One thing I've always wanted to do with the Mario games is alow for one player to play as Mario and for other players to join in. The way that the Wii Remote works, given that we can have up to four Wii Remotes using the player functionality simultaneously, it would allow one playe to control Mario, wih the other players using the Wii Remote to help him out or get in his way.

Interesting stuff, so one character... one game... but four players. However the next line is really the best bit of the interview.

I think implementing this functionality into past games could make for some exciting changes

Past games? So does this mean that the implementation of the Wii Remote into VC games is back on? Here's hoping...

Interesting indeed!!

• 2 weeks later...
Eager for information on any and all things Mario Wii related, fans of the series (surely everyone with a real heart) will be pleased to hear that two player co-operative mode will be included in the upcoming Galaxy.

Nintendo has confirmed this in the past few days, though has not outlined exactly what lies in store. However, what we do know is that one player will use a standard WiiMote, the other a WiiMote and Nunchuck and both will play at the same time.

Of course, this news sparked the beautifully predictable yearnings of Nintendo fans for a co-op game featuring Luigi, Yoshi, perhaps even Toad... Again, we just don't know at time of press. We can report that the theme of saving Princess Peach (or Toadstool, depending on how pretentious you are) remains very much intact.

Fantastic! It'll be awesome if they make it online co op too.

Fantastic! It'll be awesome if they make it online co op too.
I wouldn't get your hopes up this will be the two character co-op everyone wants!

In the interview I posted Shigsy said this;

One thing I've always wanted to do with the Mario games is alow for one player to play as Mario and for other players to join in. The way that the Wii Remote works, given that we can have up to four Wii Remotes using the player functionality simultaneously, it would allow one playe to control Mario, wih the other players using the Wii Remote to help him out or get in his way.
I'd assume this means one player will use the Wii-mote and nun-chuck to control Mario and Mario's star pointer, whilst the other player(s) will have a Wii-mote star pointer, to help Mario out e.g. by holding back enemies, or they could choose to hinder play and maybe there will be aditional power-ups etc... for the other player(s) to use.

This fits in with what you posted;

one player will use a standard WiiMote, the other a WiiMote and Nunchuck and both will play at the same time
If it was two characters on-screen, both would need the nun-chuck!

Hope I'm wrong, but this may not be the classic Mario and Luigi co-op mode everyone wants!

Lets Calm down lads!

and remember who the real enemy is...

...sony.

Calm down, it's quite normal you get commented on for posting old news and Hellfire didn't mean to anger you in any way. We knew about the co-op for quite a while actually, it was revealed at E3 already.

I don't think the second Wiimote will make things a lot more fun though, just a lot easier.

We knew about the co-op for quite a while actually, it was revealed at E3 already.
I know it was, I've never said otherwise! details of co-op modes however were not!

Sorry 'bout all the battling Hellfire!

I've deleting all the posts to clear the thread up, if you wanna do the same?!

• 1 month later...

About the multiplayer thing, didn't someone (Miyamoto?) mention there was going to be a new character in this game at Mario's side? Will that have to do with multiplayer? Or a new creature to ridOr something new, that won't replace any classic characters, just become one.

Exciting, isn't it!

I wouldn't, there's too much at launch as there is and with Zelda and Metroid both ready for launch, having Mario as well would be like them blowing all their load at once right at the beginning, there could be months without any really big releases which is what Nintendo feel is a mistake they've made with previous systems.

Galaxy will hopefully come out around halfway between launch and Smash Brothers Brawl, to bridge the gap.