Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Ashley

It has more than double the RAM and the GPU is 100-140% bigger. You're kidding yourself if you think it's an overclocked GC.

It is an overclocked GameCube. You can't deny that. That being said, graphics should be able to make a noticable leap because of the additional memory, which should allow much higher quality textures, and because of the additional shader functionality of the GPU. This game should improve a fair bit over Metroid Prime 2 in the graphics area, and judging footage, it already has.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is an overclocked GameCube. You can't deny that. That being said, graphics should be able to make a noticable leap because of the additional memory, which should allow much higher quality textures, and because of the additional shader functionality of the GPU. This game should improve a fair bit over Metroid Prime 2 in the graphics area, and judging footage, it already has.

Sure I can, watch.

BAM.

I deny that.

It isn't an overclocked gamecube, because the GPU is bigger. That alone is enough evidence to show that the graphics chip is actually new.

It isn't an overclocked gamecube, because the GPU is bigger. That alone is enough evidence to show that the graphics chip is actually new.
Bigger, as in what?

The GPU is actually smaller than it was in the Cube...

The GPU is bigger than the Cube's would be it it were made on that fabrication process. It has more transistors.

That's only because they supposedly increased the onboard memory from 3 MB to 5 MB, which requires transistors. That doesn't mean it's a new chip. If they really remade it, developers wouldn't be saying 'overclocked GameCube', and games would've looked better already.

The chip has gotten some improvements in memory, clock speed and shaders, but that's it. It can create significantly better graphics than the Cube's I hope, but essentially it's still an overclocked Flipper.

The chip has gotten some improvements in memory, clock speed and shaders, but that's it. It can create significantly better graphics than the Cube's I hope, but essentially it's still an overclocked Flipper.

You've contradicted yourself quite sharply there. May I ask what else you could improve upon without using a new cutting-edge design? If you want to put it that way, PS3 uses an overclocked Xbox GPU.

Nice job using first gen games as proof of Wiis lack of power. You don't think maybe the reason all Ubisoft, Atari and EA games look like ass on Wii is because all they ever did on GC was port PS2 games? That don't have a clue about how to properly utilise a Gamecube, let alone a Wii.

Think for a second, which companies actually bothered to push Gamecube last gen? Off the top of my head I can think of Nintendo, SquareEnix, Capcom and Factor 5. Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 look a ton better than Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime 2; we've yet to see anything substantial of Crystal Chronicles Wii and RE: Umbrella Chronicles, and Factor 5 have legged it, so really all we can base it on are two games.

As it stands the gpu probably has some new functionality, but, until nintendo releases some info on the thing we are shooting blind. On a logical level ATi did have a years to work with the thing and only had to maintain backwards compatibility which I would imagine is not that hard. Maybe nintendo payed ati that money just for a die shrink and up clocking and maybe not.

Maybe nintendo payed ati that money just for a die shrink and up clocking and maybe not.
That wouldn't make sense, since Flipper was manufactured by NEC, who did (or was supposed to do) a core shrink from 0.18 to 0.13 microns on it's own, to cut costs; this by mid 2003's.

The only doubt I have is if they ever done it, since cube production got stalled (in order to no build up too much stock) in mid 2003. But it was possible, no need for ATi on that one.

I've always wanted a sequal to Fusion, its my favourite 2D Metriod... but its very unlikely.

Tiss my favourite too... noting beats the feeling of another fully powered Samus walking about trying to kill you when your in a weakend state! Everytime i came across the SA-X my heart was in my mouth while i tryed to escape!

Why don't we discuss Metroid timeline to keep this thread alive? My theory is, Metroid Fusion > Metroid 2 > Metroid Prime: Corruption > Zero Mission > Metroid Prime: Echoes > Metroid Prime > Super Metroid.
Uh, No!

How can Prime 3 be before Prime 2? and Prime 2 before Prime?!! They are a continuing trilogy of sequels!

The Metroid timeline is no secret and has always been set out! unlike Zelda.

Each new adition has been given a definate place in the timeline! It goes;

- Metroid/Metroid Zero Mission (hence Zero)

- Metroid Prime

- Metroid Prime: Hunters

- Metroid Prime 2

- Metroid Prime 3

- Metroid 2

- Super Metroid

- Metroid Fusion (new suit!)

Also...

http://www.cubed3.com/news/6684/1/Super_Mario_Galaxy_Delayed?_Metroid_Online?

Nintendo Rumour | Super Mario Galaxy Delayed? Metroid Online?

Contrary to popular belief of a spring release, a report on Gamedrift.com suggests a winter release date for the plumbers first Wii outing.

The tip, aledged to have given birth from an anonymous Nintendo representative, will certainly displease many fans of the popular series who have been waiting patiently for the impressive looking title.

A release between April and June for Metroid Prime: Corruption was also hinted at, additionally that it will feature online play, further fuel on the fire for this persistent rumour. Some consolation perhaps for some disappointing news.

Keep it locked to C3 for further updates...

How would it be online? I really hope they aren't working on a major multiplayer aspect for the game!

Have Metroid 3 focusing on an EPIC ending to the single player Prime story!!

Then create a seperate spin-off Multiplayer focused Metroid game/series!! based around the Galactic Federation and Space pirates!

Have Metroid 3 focusing on an EPIC ending to the single player Prime story!!

I've seen people go apeshit over this on other forums and I've never really understood why. Prime 2 had a multiplayer mode and the single player didn't suffer for it. Bungie manages to get both right (sorta, I think their single player blows but there's still obviously a ton of work put into both). Hardly any work at all was put into Goldeneye's multiplayer mode, yet it still worked out.

Prime 2 had a multiplayer mode and the single player didn't suffer for it.
The single player could have been made better still!
Hardly any work at all was put into Goldeneye's multiplayer mode, yet it still worked out.
Same with Prime 2, but in this case, it didn't!!

The multiplayer added nothing to the game, it was pretty rubbish and all because Nintendo folded under pressure from fans and made Retro put one in, which I'm pretty sure they didn't want to do!

You've contradicted yourself quite sharply there. May I ask what else you could improve upon without using a new cutting-edge design? If you want to put it that way, PS3 uses an overclocked Xbox GPU.

Not really. If you take a car, give it a new tire set, a new paint job and a spoiler, then it drives somewhat nicer it's still essentially the same car. Likewise the Hollywood is essentially the same thing as the Flipper, but with some new stuff glued on, which make it go better, but not as good as a brand new chip/car would've made you go. The Cube chip just isn't cutting edge anymore (I won't go technical here), you'd need a new chip to be cutting edge again. The PS3's 'car' design is probably nowhere similar to the GeForce 3 design in the Xbox except for the fact that it has four wheels. A Ford Ka, in the same sense, isn't similar to a Ford Mustang.

Anyway, what this means for MP3 that, underneath the surface the game looks essentially like Metroid Prime 2, but with new effect and high res textures to spice things up :smile:

The multiplayer added nothing to the game, it was pretty rubbish and all because Nintendo folded under pressure from fans and made Retro put one in, which I'm pretty sure they didn't want to do!

I found it quite fun. The biggest problem was lock-on...which won't be a problem in MP3..

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!