Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

What The Hell?? Nintendo Wii!!??

Nick

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as they say, bad press (wii) is better than no press (Gamecube).

Plus, regardless of the wierd name, the machine itself is still gonna look HOT on store shelves. On another positive note. Nintendo has up until now been synonymous with Mario (viewed as kiddy) now theyre synonymous with 'ii' which is neither kiddy nor adult, its just 'ii'.

Dude.. You need to think before you put your 2 cents in. First of all amercans could handle a nice sounding japanese name. CoughnintendoCouch! Secondly what THE HELL DO YOU MEAN japanese people don't like forieghn sounding names. Have you ever hered of the playstation.(Count the sillibles moron. 4!!!!!)

actually playstation has 3 syllables PLAY-STA-TION

I thought it was a crap name, until…

'Wii can be remembered by everyone around the world no matter what language they speak. No confusion, no need to abbreviate.'

Now consider that Re-vo-lu-tion is a four-syllable word. It's meaningless to non-English speakers, and it'd be hard to say. The English speaking market wouldn't appreciate a four-syllable Japanese word, meaning the same/a similar thing, especially if it was hard to pronounce.

Then again, I'm not that bothered what it's called, as long as it's fun.

Dude.. You need to think before you put your 2 cents in. First of all amercans could handle a nice sounding japanese name. CoughnintendoCouch! Secondly what THE HELL DO YOU MEAN japanese people don't like forieghn sounding names. Have you ever hered of the playstation.(Count the sillibles moron. 4!!!!!)

This is as crazy as unveiling a TV remote, or even crazier :D

At first I hated it, then it grew a bit on me, now I like it to read but not to say, it just sounds so stupid to speak out loud.

The video sure helped to get accustomed to it and the look of the video prove that Nintendo isn't completely out of its mind.

But it will need hell of a lot of getting used to it.

American men hate Japanese cars, because of what it did to the economy.

America has no real electronics production industry.. therefore they will probably have no gripe with a Japanese named games console.

I think the result of the name pushing people away is slim and none in a global media world.

Very few Americans still follow the ideology that Japanese products screw the world over.

Hmmm, the name is pretty bad really,but it has to mean something. And surely this shows that Nintendo didnt speak to nintendo-europe as they would have warned them of the repercussions of calling a console wii/we/wee.

Me personally I don't care and i hope in a few years that the software and nintendo will redefine the name wii and it will be as acceptable as other equally absurd names such as - ipod, walkman, yahoo, manic street preachers etc etc. We don't think of the words anymore, they have a new meaning, we think of the device, the service, the music. Hopefully when we hear wii we'll just think of the games.

Unfortunately that will be harder for English people than anyone else!!

I don't know anyone who hasn't bought a console because of it's name.

Didn't most people who bought a playstation and PS2 (and soon PS3) do so because of the name, which is why Sony refuse to let go of the "Playstation" name and just add on numbers

Didn't most people who bought a playstation and PS2 (and soon PS3) do so because of the name, which is why Sony refuse to let go of the "Playstation" name and just add on numbers

oh god......lets hope ninty dont go for Wii2 or WiiII or summit stooopid like that after this one!!!

Wiii maybe!!! W3????:woops:

I like the name, I think that if they use it arresively in the market it'll stick out pretty well...

but really for us in this forum... it's not about the name it's about the games...

but anyway... is the name of the site going to change? I can picture it already... "Wii-Europe" :P

Have you ever hered of the playstation.(Count the sillibles moron. 4!!!!!)

Too funny.

GameFAQs Revolution - er, I mean Wii - boards have shot up to 27 pages of topics from the usual average of 17 or 18.

So . . . what colour do you want your wii to be?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!