N-Europe

PlayStation 3 still far from complete?

DiemetriX

[A C V]

OK, so I can understand that nobody likes those 'PS3 Delayed' articles. Well, according to The Inquirer's assumptions, the PS3 is still far from complete. The official release date is November 2006. So that leaves about 6 months till D-Day.

As is the case generally with all major software/hardware release, the last 6-8 months are generally spent in debugging and cleaning up the code. Plus, the developer kits are generally well within the grasp of the game-developers. But that's not the case with the PS3.

Few people have seen it in action, and even fewer have actually had a hands-on experience with it. There's basically 2 problems which are plaguing the release of the PS3.

* Size : Yes, all the ultra shiny hardware is actually too damn big to fit in the box which they've been showing us all this time. The problem can be solved by using smaller components. But if you're not sure what components are going in the console 6 months before release, then you have some serious problems in your hand.

* Few components not finalised : Sony is still bidding on some components. Sounds ridiculous, I know. The final hardware should've been finalised a long time ago, so that the developers know what they're working with.

Although Sony might make it by November 2006, it's doubtful if all of the rough edges will be polished. There might be patches for it, like the Xbox 360, as soon as it is released. Let's just hope that the PS3 stays on track and is actually launched on the promised date.

Source: http://theinquirer.net/?article=30931

Omg.. what the hell is sony doing :shakehead Sony has done so many things wrong with the PS3 :/ Lets *hope it launches when promised.

*Deep down i hope it don't

I always thought the november release date seemed too soon. I think Sony should only release it when its been finalised and all that. But I doubt they will, will probably release a rushed launch with hardly any stock, similar to the 360.

I am looking forward to the PS3, don't get me wrong, but sounding a bit fanboyish, i really don't mind if it's delayed to 07 as long as i get my Revolution this year, i think the PS3 can't wait! :)

Still it does indeed sound like bad news for Sony, although a couple of days ago i read a article on Eurogamer saying there 'On track for a November launch'.

I reckon Sony will do it.

[A C V]

* Size : Yes, all the ultra shiny hardware is actually too damn big to fit in the box which they've been showing us all this time. The problem can be solved by using smaller components. But if you're not sure what components are going in the console 6 months before release, then you have some serious problems in your hand.

What?!?! It's going to be BIGGER??

Guest Jordan

By being Sony. But lets not forget, XBOX360 was only finished in Auguest last year only a couple of months before launch. Same with PSP.

The point is, not many units are gunna be ready for launch whatever way you look at it.

how can you charge £400+ for a console that isn't even finished?

They're not charging you for an unfinished console, it's not as if they're going to send you out the pieces to build it up yourself. They'll charge you when it's actually finished... You know, it's called preordering?

Last I heard, Sony and their mates were practically beaming about being ahead of schedule for November. Although if they really don't have any playable demos at E3, (I'm sure they'll have something) serious questions are going to have to asked. The Sony Hype-o-matic has continued to remain unusually quiet.

The PS3 launch looks bleaker and bleaker. We already reported that, yes, Sony will have no bananas — or rather, PS3s — at E3 this year. But a couple more insidious rumors about the PS3 are going around.

The first rumor is that, currently, the innards of a Playstation 3 are too large to functionally fit in the case. Although fat people can suck in their massive guts or cram fists fulls of cellulite down into a slimming girdle, no such option exists for the PS3, meaning that either the sleek and empty cases they've been showing off will have to grow larger to accommodate the electronic bulk or the components themselves will have to shrink... and soon.

The second rumor? Sony is still bidding on components. As Inquirer states: "This means the development is far from final, and it will be debugging up to, and in a Microsoft overheating manner, past the last minute. Not a good sign."

The last bit of bleakness is the rather astounding news that the OS that the PS3 will be running on will consume 25% of the system's core and 18.75% of the system RAM! Holy crap! Don't we buy consoles so we don't have to deal with that sort of OS overhead?

HAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHH

i think ps4 will the the REAL ps3 ..

in the same sence that:

the next good turok (if ever any)will be the REAL turok 3 because every turok after part 2 sucked royal ballZZ so far ........

if the ps3 failed (or sold less then cube sold ) would we ever see a ps4 ?