Just a few who are rumoured to succeed:

Simon Pegg

John Simm

Paul McGann

Rhys Ifans

James Nesbitt

David Morrissey*

*I would actually climax.

Paul McGann? How the hell would they make that work? Same applies to Simon Pegg, John Simm and David Morrissey, since they've all made, or are due to make, an appearance I don't see how it'd work. Has that happened before with any of the previous Doctors?

Paul McGann? How the hell would they make that work? Same applies to Simon Pegg, John Simm and David Morrissey, since they've all made, or are due to make, an appearance I don't see how it'd work. Has that happened before with any of the previous Doctors?

If anything, I think it makes them stronger candidates. They could always neatly forget about "one-off" Doctors, and if all else fails, just manage to weave it into the story somehow.

Afterall, when he regenerates, he might just happen to take on the appearence of a character they'd already come across. I'm sure they can make some sort of humourous script set-pieces to acknowledge it.

The actress that played Martha played someone else that died in the previous series and they just explained it away with some lame story. I'm sure thay can do the same.

If anything, I think it makes them stronger candidates. They could always neatly forget about "one-off" Doctors, and if all else fails, just manage to weave it into the story somehow.

Afterall, when he regenerates, he might just happen to take on the appearence of a character they'd already come across. I'm sure they can make some sort of humourous script set-pieces to acknowledge it.

McGann is acknowledged as the Eighth Doctor though, hence why Tennant is the Tenth. Maybe he's keeping one of McGann's dismembered limbs somewhere to use in his regeneration... :heh:

Morrissey is playing a future incarnation of the Doctor isn't he? Unless its a foiler or 'twist' in the story itself that it turns out he is lying

The actress that played Martha played someone else that died in the previous series and they just explained it away with some lame story. I'm sure thay can do the same.

"Yeah that was my cousin who worked there." Yeah, because I look and sound the exact same as my cousins too.

I can see them using Paul McGann in one of the specials, with it ending with him regenerating into Eccleston.

Simon Pegg wouldn't really need any explanation plot-wise. The only problem is that he would probably implode as he gets to be both Scotty and The Doctor.

John Simm would seem a bit too odd, though.

Morrissey is playing a future incarnation of the Doctor isn't he? Unless its a foiler or 'twist' in the story itself that it turns out he is lying

I believe it has been revealed that that is the case

The Next Doctor has a first minute preview during the Children in Need appeal on 14 November.

Bill Bailey or Alan Davies (was excellent in Jonathan Creek) would be pretty good I reckon. James Nesbitt would be alright too mind you.

Heard the news, and I'm sad to see Tennant go, really loved the guy as the doctor. Eventhough it would be weird & illogical, I'd love it if John Simm through some bizar twist gets to be the new doctor. I think he'd be an excellent one. Allthough I love James Nesbit as well, I don't see him as a possible new doctor. Steve Coogan anybody? :D :P

And about Martha, it's funny, because with her first appearance I thought "Ow, that's a shame. why does that hot babe have to die?", so you can imagine my joy when she was announced as the new assistant! ;) And my disapointment when she left. Freema is hot, she needs her own Arena cover.

From Children in Need and on the BBC Youtube Channel...the teaser (first 2 minutes) from the Christmas Special entitled: The Next Doctor

Oh dear, I hope that isn't the next Doctor, he seems a right pompous ass.

I doubt he is...else he'd have recognised himself ;)

I doubt he is...else he'd have recognised himself ;)

Easily explained. Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff.

Oh dear, I hope that isn't the next Doctor, he seems a right pompous ass.

right pompous ass = a conman

Looks like a phillips screwdriver :P

Easily explained. Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff.

Yeah but 10 recognised 5 immediately so

I'd prefer whoever that was speaking...Anyway I think theres no point in listening to maybes or possibilities for now. Can get annoying.

The fact he's so talked about now, especially on the BBC side of things, means he wont get in

I'm still for Julian Rhind-Tutt to get it