Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Playstation Discussion Archive

CooInTheZoo

Now THIS is hilarious:

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19430

Funny, how hypocrit "graphics don't matter" stance is, could it be another downgrade in the horizon? :grin: or is it that the graphics on PS3 are stuck on X360 level? :woops:

One thing I know for sure... AI on PS3 and X360 should be no match for any PC CPU today, as both console's CPU's are just crap at general purpose processing.

Unlike he states... It really wasn't a concern when designing their architectures, they simplified general purpose processing threads to achieve more MHz (and more fill rate), there are no 3,2 GHz PowerPC's out there, old PowerMacs only achieved 2,5 GHz, for a good reason.

A Xenon @ 3,2 GHz is actually equivalent to a Pentium IV Celeron 1,7 GHz when it comes to general purpose. PS3's CELL is no better. (actually it could be worse. Xenon has 3 cores after all, while PS3 has one PPC raped custom core with 7 SPE's that are only suitable to run microcode.

But generally speaking... a Xenon core @ 3,2 GHz is 2 times as powerfull as the original Pentium 733 MHz of the first Xbox in real world general purpose... impressive, heh?

Still PS3 will see a big improvement in AI since PS2 was so horrible at it in the first place.

Also considering Online is supposed to be the future aswell there will be a lot of games where AI is no longer needed since you have real oponents.

I see your point, which is a technical one and I would probably agree if I knew anything about that stuff (so I'm with you :grin: ).

I actually found this pretty weird. I mean I don't really know any game which was amazing due to the AI. It has always added to a game but I have never really seen it as feature which has made a game fantastic. Plus he talks about art. Pfffft my ass! AI just means that a porgram will do all the work for you and you don't have to do the art! The guy doesn't even know the meaning of the word!

Look at some of PS2s most "arty" games. From the ones I think of (MGS, Shadows of the Collosus, FF etc) none of those were made good by AI. Hell it didn't even make HL2 that much better. Is it just me or are they struggling to find decent reasons for it to be a good games machine?

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually found this pretty weird. I mean I don't really know any game which was amazing due to the AI. It has always added to a game but I have never really seen it as feature which has made a game fantastic.

I can think of one, "Advance Wars" on the GBA. This therefore prooves that the power of the cell is necessary for great AI. It has absolutely nothing to do with the developer :grin:

AI is not like graphics. You dont just up the horse power and instantly get better effects.

And totally agree with the reasoning that AI is largely irrelevant in the age of online multiplayer. And we really dont want anything too smart else skynet will come online.

Actually your right shino, does any one remember the video they showed the E3 just gone?

Had like Sony fans in it, and it ended on a retarded note:

Ugly fan: Like, im gonna beat you coz.... Ermmmm... I dunno I just am!

That always annoyed me, I felt glad to state it.

i wanted to murder sony and anyone who had any involvement with that god damn evil trailer!!!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!