N-Europe

Playstation Discussion Archive

CooInTheZoo

Is anyone else bored to death of sales figures?

Still, Sony certainly made a good job of the PS3 launch in the UK. I seriously wasn't expecting it do nearly as well as it has, mainly because I don't know anyone that's bought one, or indeed anyone that knows anyone else that has. Obviously the people around me aren't representative of the country as a whole, but it just seems a bit weird.

To be honest, short term sales figures don't really mean much anymore. If you take the British album charts for example, British records are broken each way, and everyone can get to number 1 now, whereas before it was prestigious. Nowadays, I actually think the gaming charts are much more exciting than music charts, but it's still not that great.

As others have said, we'll see how it sells week after week. Although, the initial sales figures are impressive. So, hats off to Sony for that.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you getting your Playstation TRIPPLE Cox?

Probably for my birthday in June. If not, I'll just save up and get one.

Although mildly amusing, Is this a jab at the Wii/360?

Wii makes money on consoles sold, and PS3 doesnt. Quite the opposite scenario if this is the case...albeit a joke.

*Wink*

It's the PS3/Wii. When what actually happened was the exact opposite.

Probably for my birthday in June. If not, I'll just save up and get one.

It's the PS3/Wii. When what actually happened was the exact opposite.

Ill tell you a funny story. I was gonna add you last night on XBOX LIVE, but I forgot what the middle word of your name was...I was like "Cox the Seagulls....No....Cox and Seagulls...No"

Lol.

18:45, Mar 26th 2007 by Neil Long

New format becomes fastest-selling home console ever over its debut weekend.

The figure is three quarters of the total 220,000 UK launch stock for day one, and makes PS3 second only to PSP in the overall launch weekend sales stakes. The Sony handheld shifted 185,000 during its opening weekend back in September 2005.

PS3’s record-breaking debut for a home console comfortably beats the previous top seller Nintendo Wii, which sold 105,000 after its frantic launch weekend in December last year. Fellow format rival Xbox 360 racked up an estimated 70,000 at launch in December 2005.

Source.

Are you sure this is correct??

http://www.cubed3.com/news/7104/

Sony's PlayStation 3 Fails to Break Records

Update - Following the slow start in the UK last Friday, where the only real spark came from some large televisions given away for free, information has come about from the other PAL territory, Australia. According to Sony, just over 20,000 PlayStation consoles were sold in three days, meaning that it failed to break the fastest selling system record, which Nintendo's Wii set on 7th December last year.

Despite the price of AU$1,000 / £424.99, Sony was confident the system would sell in vast numbers. However, this is the first console to have failed to beat its predecessor's opening weekend sales. The Wii out-did the Xbox 360, which in turn sold more than the PlayStation Portable, which itself out-performed the Nintendo DS's start.

Whilst it is not all doom and gloom just yet for Sony, it appears to be the continuation of the PlayStation name losing some of its sparkle in the public eye, following the PlayStation Portable's failure to surpass sales of the far under-powered Nintendo DS around the world.

Expect more details when the UK chart updates tonight and Australian games positions are revealed later in the week from GfK.

Sony said 20,000, not 220,000!

Read it dumbass its talking about Australia sales not the UK sales.
Oh yeah, I just read it as PAL and thought UK!

Still says this though;

Update - Following the slow start in the UK last Friday, where the only real spark came from some large televisions given away for free, information has come about from the other PAL territory, Australia.

and why would it say that if it supposedly broke the record?

Shut up will you!

Yeah you're right it does say Aus, I just read it as PAL and thought UK!

Still says this though;

and why would it say that if it supposedly broke the record?

Yeah well it did break the home console, however, we don't know if this journalist as said it as an aside comment or not?

But if Sony did state that this, then I could only presume its because it failed to beat the UK current fastest selling console which was the PSP in the Uk at 185k units.

Probably they wanted to see it at that figure or higher.

Having too much money is never lame man!

I wish I had too much money.

Same. Damn student life *shakes fist*

Can't moan cos i'm spending £1,200 on a macbook pro in a couple weeks lol which reminds me-

Was in the Virgin in the Arndale on friday, just to check out the latest releases and offers etc, and some guy came up to me after seeing i was looking at the VF 5 case and asked if i was interested in the PS3. I said nope, he said, ah riiight don't have the money for it, i said, naw, its not that. just getting a macbook pro instead and i can't be arsed buying an overpriced console with a small selection of games that interest me at the moment.

with that he skulked off and i never saw him again :D

what the fuck are they teaching store staff these days eh?

Glad somebody else asked! I want to know too, but I don't want to seem like a n00b for asking. :red:

Does it have anything to do with that PSHome thing? (the second life avatar type..stuff)

not as far as i know, its just a way of helping scientists by allowing your PS3 to run calculations to do with protein folding. Some people at a uni thinks it might be possible to discover treatment or a cure for conditions such as Alzheimer's and make some money from it basicly.

but the program has a few other lil 'fun' bits to it, like the ability to change in what way your viewing the macromolecule and to see a globe of which PS3s in which areas are running the program at the time on a globe.