Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Playstation Discussion Archive

CooInTheZoo

Just read the Perrin Kaplan news on the front page. Pathetic.

what a load of rubbish. that is a very important area, its just that nintendo doesnt feel like putting any money into it.

It really isn't. Just because you'd like to see an MMOG doesn't change the facts; it is a niche market.

I'm thinking of picking up a PS3 when the price cut comes along, but I was wondering what the PS2 backwards compatibility is like. I know there are some issues with certain games, such as music not playing when it should and the screen freezing, but how's performance for the games that do work? More specifically, would I be able to play SotC with a double-figure framerate?

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the update most of the games are fine now. They all run at 480p too. And new ones like God of War 2 even run at 720p.

Your right. That update was great. I had Okami before the update and it was unplayable, the screen was like someone had put all vaseline on it and the writing was all slashed and had lines through it.

Then i downloaded the update and the picture quality is now fantastic. Thankfully the update for Europe will do this and much more.

I think there still maybe some teething problems with some games, but you'll know that the main ones will work fine, like God Of War II which i can't wait to see running at 720p as the game looks great.

Very suprising news regarding VF5

On Friday, we reported that Japan was exactly kookoo for Virtua Fighter 5. To put things into perspective, Japanese game blog Ore Teki Game Sokuhou @ Katana points out the following:

February 8th, 2007

600,000 PS3s

Virtua Fighter 5 Copies Sold: 30,000

December 29th, 2005

80,000 Xbox 360s

Dead or Alive 4 Copies Sold: 60,000

Not exactly a system seller. (That, dear readers, should be the upcoming Gundam Musou!)

In other related Virtua Fighter 5 disaster news, the Mainichi News reports that Sega's slick VF 5 joystick has been found to be faulty. Sales of it have ceased and refunds are being offered. Sega is investingating the issue.

Source: Kotaku

The ratio of PS3 systems and copies of VF5 sold is crazy. Many are saying its due to VF5 having such a huge fanbase in the arcades over there, whether that is the reason for the average sales is up for you to decide.

the only thing i can think of is everyones waiting for the 360 version :laughing:

joke, anywho, the REAL only thing i can think of is that maybe they think its not a true a port as they want? or erm, yeah.

e3-2006-in-depth-with-the-ps3-controller-20060515010609802.jpg

i dont understand why sony decided to stick with the same controller layout. its very impractical and needs to be revised. the 360 pad is much better. all that they've changed is that now it doesnt have rumble, but a tilt thing, and the trigger buttons are anologue. they really haven't made much of an effort.

e3-2006-in-depth-with-the-ps3-controller-20060515010609802.jpg

i dont understand why sony decided to stick with the same controller layout. its very impractical and needs to be revised. the 360 pad is much better. all that they've changed is that now it doesnt have rumble, but a tilt thing, and the trigger buttons are anologue. they really haven't made much of an effort.

They did make an effort, but it sucked. The reason they stuck with that design is because it is well recognised by the casual gamer, not because it's good.

They did make an effort, but it sucked. The reason they stuck with that design is because it is well recognised by the casual gamer, not because it's good.

Well, the "boomerang" design was pretty hideous. You're meant to improve the design, not worsen it!

In the end, I honestly think Sony are stick in their ways with this controller and the layout. It'll make backwards compatability a bitch in the future if they decide to go for a whole new layout, with their next console for example.

I'm not saying that's the main reason why they won't change it, but I think it is one of the reasons.

I use to hate the PS2 pad when I first got one, but now I'm so used to them I really don't care. One thing is for sure is that they are the best pads for Fighters anyway. Somewhat like what the SNES pad was.

I suppose you do get used to new controllers. Still, I can't say I'm a fan of the controller at all. One thing I do like is that it's symmetrical, but then I also hate the button names and stick placement. If someone were to ask me where the triangle button was or what colour it was, or If I asked someone to do the same, we'd be there for a while. :heh:

I use to hate the PS2 pad when I first got one, but now I'm so used to them I really don't care. One thing is for sure is that they are the best pads for Fighters anyway. Somewhat like what the SNES pad was.

You're right there. Although I do like the Gamecube pad for Soul Calibur II.

i think the PS2 controller is backwards i mean it has a d-pad where the analogue stick should be!!!

d-pad aside the 360 is the best pad i have ever had the pleasure to play with.

Also agree with that. I didn't realise quite how good it was until I went back to the GC pad. It's the perfect size and everything, and the sticks have an excelent feel to them.

Advance orders for Sony's highly anticipated PlayStation 3 console have broken all records, with high street stalwart Woolworths revealing it has been taking one order every 20 seconds during the past week.

The state-of-the-art PlayStation 3 will go head-to-head with Microsoft's Xbox 360 when it hits the shops on March 23 and Woolies, one of the first stores to accept pre-orders, has admitted it has been staggered by the demand.

Gerry Berkley, Woolworths' head of games, said, "It's the hottest gaming system since the PS2 launched in 2000 - demand will outstrip supply."

With a retail price of £425, the 60Gb PlayStation 3 costs £125 more in the UK than in the US, but this has failed to deter those determined to try out Sony's latest dream machine.

Advance orders for Sony's highly anticipated PlayStation 3 console have broken all records, with high street stalwart Woolworths revealing it has been taking one order every 20 seconds during the past week.

The state-of-the-art PlayStation 3 will go head-to-head with Microsoft's Xbox 360 when it hits the shops on March 23 and Woolies, one of the first stores to accept pre-orders, has admitted it has been staggered by the demand.

Gerry Berkley, Woolworths' head of games, said, "It's the hottest gaming system since the PS2 launched in 2000 - demand will outstrip supply."

With a retail price of £425, the 60Gb PlayStation 3 costs £125 more in the UK than in the US, but this has failed to deter those determined to try out Sony's latest dream machine.

where the hell is that from? lol

some tabloid? latest dream machine? hahahahaha demand will outstrip supply-no shit fucking sherlock, arent you clever, here's a medal!

the hottest gaming system since Wii you mean, i really can't remember a console launch as big as the Wii, even the PSone launch wasn't as staggering.

You forgot that it's Woolworths that is saying that, they get excited about somebody buying batteries from them.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read something strange in HMV. "Pre-Order the PS3 Now, Guarenteed to sell out"

....Erm....if you can guarentee they are sold out, how are we able to pre-order?!?! :shakehead

16 hours and 45 mins and I'm 80.4% Throught Ridge Racer 7! On some crazy arse extreme battles now. Some are fairly toughy.

I've changed the hell out of my Soldat Raggio. Gave it flex nitrous (which means it only gets nitrous back when it's drifts, but you just have to tap it the nitrous a little so it boosts a tiny bit when around the corner and you get fair amount of nitrous back, very easy to get lots of nitrous, it's also just one big bar as well) It's a dynamic but I never liked using them so gave it some nice grip types! Seems to work wonders on the duel battles atleast.

Well, the "boomerang" design was pretty hideous. You're meant to improve the design, not worsen it!

People criticised the boomerang, but how many of them actually held it? It might've been really comfy for all we know.

I've always found the PS2 controller to be too small, the handles just aren't long enough (and I've played on it quite a bit), I would've thought they would've changed the controller a little bit at least, keeping the same looks. The joystick placement is now dated as you use the joystick for virtually every game, swap the left joystick with the D-Pad and it would be a lot better.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!