Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Playstation Discussion Archive

CooInTheZoo

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess that means then its been completed and may be given a bit extra polish.

However while I am here does anyone have any clues about when they will start announcing their euro ps3 plans

They said they're announcing the plans soon. It will probably be in march or shortly after. This is the latest I've heard on it:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=155330

They're starting their advertising campaign before the end of march.

Supposadely the March date given for 'Heavenly Sword' was just a mistake and it isn't coming out then....

The official site, had the date of March 7th 2007, earlier this week, but once people started to notice the date changed to a vague 2007.

mmmmmm, it's a shame if it doesn't make Euro's launch.

A estimated date of May/June now seems more likely!

Lair was also mentioned by the Sony Rep, who stated this hasn't been given a firm date either! So don't expect this for March.

For the whole story (which i mainly posted) head over to http://www.gamesradar.com. :awesome:

The MD of US development studio Valve Corporation has labelled Sony’s PlayStation 3 “a total disaster” and predicted that Nintendo’s Wii will win the next-gen console battle.

Speaking to Game Informer magazine, Gabe Newell suggested that Sony should scrap plans to release PS3 and develop an entirely new system.

“The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It’s really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted,” said Newell. “I’d say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a ‘do over’. Just say, ‘This was a horrible disaster and we’re sorry and we’re going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it.’”

Newell reserved special praise for the Wii, which he said would outsell Microsoft’s Xbox 360 by next Christmas.

“The happy story is the Wii,” he added. “I’m betting that by Christmas of next year, the Wii has a larger installed base than the 360. Other people think I’m crazy. I really like everything that Nintendo is doing."

Newell is a co-founder of Valve, which made its name by developing the multi-award wining Half Life and Counter-Strike series. More recently, it’s become equally known for its Steam digital download service, which has attracted publishers including EA, Activision and Take 2 to sign up.

In December, the firm signed an in-game advertising deal for Counter Strike with IGA, which was billed by the two companies as one of the biggest of its kind.

http://www.mcvuk.com/Valve-boss-blows-a-gasket-over-PS3

IDC analyst Billy Pidgeon has told GamesIndustry.biz that Sony must produce more first-party software for PlayStation 3 or risk seeing more and more units left on shop shelves.

Pidgeon's comments follow the release of NPD's videogame sales data for 2006 which, according to SCEA boss Jack Tretton, show "the power of PlayStation".

The IDC analyst said he agreed with Tretton that the power of the brand "is confirmed with the PS2's performance in the market", adding that sales of hit titles such as Guitar Hero 2 meant that last year "PS2 was helpful to most third-party publishers' bottom lines".

However, he continued, "The PlayStation brand doesn't appear to be helping the PS3. If NPD's numbers are correct, there are over 300K PS3s on retail shelves. That is not good for a console launch of only a million and it's not good for publishers with PS3 software."

Pidgeon warned that Sony must focus on the games available for PlayStation 3 and the number of first-party titles in development, stating, "Software libraries are the key driver of console sales, and no console is going to sell on the promises - they've got to deliver.

"Sony needs more must-have first party titles to sell consoles. Gamers know Halo 3 is coming on the Xbox 360, and they can expect Mario on the Wii, but there are no established first party franchises coming to the PS3 except Gran Turismo - and that is delayed."

Pidgeon did say that first-party PS3 games Heavenly Sword and Motorstorm "look great", but observed, "They are new and less anticipated."

www.gamesindustry.biz

-------------------------------------------------------------

Sony Corp. (6758.TO) will reach only 75% of its global target for PlayStation 3 sales this fiscal year through March, according to a Nomura report released Monday.

Nomura cut its target for PS3 game units shipped during the period to 4.5 million from 6 million, citing poor sales over the holiday season in North America.

The Tokyo-based consumer electronics maker is fighting to keep its position at the top of the video game market against rivals Nintendo Co. (7974.TO) and Microsoft Corp. (MS). The company's rollout of its newest system has been beset by delays and supply shortages, but it has maintained it will sell 6 million units through March.

Sony said last week it had shipped 1 million consoles in the U.S. in 2006, but it sold only about 470,000 in Japan according to data released by computer game publisher Enterbrain Inc. This put it well below its global goal of 2 million for the year.

The unit is due to be released in Europe sometime in March.

In its report Monday, Nomura also cut its PS3 sales forecast for next fiscal year to 10 million from 16 million next fiscal year and to 11 million from 18 million for the following year.

But Nomura maintained its neutral rating on Sony shares, saying it expected strong large-screen television sales in North America and continued strong performance from the Sony Ericsson cellphone joint venture.

Sony shares finished trading Monday up 2.5% at Y5,700.

www.marketwatch.com

-------------------------------------------------------------

High Profile PS3 Title in Trouble

So here’s the little tidbit that all of you PS3 enthusiasts may not want to hear. An anonymous source working on a high profile title for the PlayStation 3 confirmed to me yesterday that their upcoming game had “stalled completely.” Apparently, the company has brought in a new director to salvage the project, but it looks like SCEA wants to stop the bleeding, preventing any more wasted money to be put on the project.

The most intriguing decision that might be considered is releasing the game as a downloadable game on Sony’s online store, instead of a full-fledged title. Obviously, SCEA refuses to start from scratch. And as of right now, there’s only four missions in the game and online multi-player isn’t even guaranteed. This is pretty shocking when you consider that the game was once set to be a major release.

Why did all of this have to happen? My source states that “infighting and [a] lack of clear direction” has cost the studio and SCEA millions on scrapped ideas and development paths.

The stalling of this title also had an adverse effect on the state of the studio’s employees, forcing layoffs and migrations to rival development studios in the area. With current employees already filing for newer and better jobs, it seems as if this particuar developer could be in deep trouble, especially if work morale stands still.

With little revealed on the title in the last few months, and doomsday getting closer for PS3 owners… this one could have plenty of credibility, whether Sony fans like it or not.

We’ll name the title and the studio soon, just be patient for the time being.

No I think its actually Eight Days Later, apparently the complexity of the game engine needed meant that it was supposed to be out in early 2008.

Personally to me it won't be killzone as they need that title to be awesome, so they will more more money into that if they could.

No I think its actually Eight Days Later, apparently the complexity of the game engine needed meant that it was supposed to be out in early 2008.

Personally to me it won't be killzone as they need that title to be awesome, so they will more more money into that if they could.

No, it is Warhawk.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/16/rumor-warhawk-canned-to-become-ps3-download/

Square Enix announced Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition and Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition for PSP, as the first games in the Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary series. Both games will be contain all the new elements in Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls for GBA, plus further enhancements in the graphics and music, as well as new CG movies and some innovations on the levels and contents.

Nice, me buy! Hopefully it will be turned into 3D like the DS FF3.

Square Enix revealed new details in Final Fantasy Tactics: Shishi Sensou for PSP, in addition to the Onion Knights, the game will also have the job class Dark Knight, and Balthier from Final Fantasy XII, as a playable character in the game. Balthier will play an important role in the game

Wooo :D

Have Sony just jacked up the price on us????

According to information on the Irish version of the official PlayStation 3 website, the 60GB version of the console will launch in the territory priced at EUR 629.99 - EUR 30 more than previously announced.

Text on the "Price" section of the website also suggests that the 20GB model will retail for EUR 529.99. However, it will not be available "at launch" in Ireland.

Back in May 2006 at Sony's pre-E3 conference, it was announced that the PS3 would cost EUR 499 / 599 in Europe, and the other EU territory sites still feature these price points.

According to remarks' of Howard Stringer, chairman of Sony, held in an interview granted to News.com, the European launching of PlayStation 3 would be delayed until next April! The person in charge also indicates his objective to distribute 6 million PlayStation 3 in the world before the tax end of the year in progress which encloses at the end of March 2007. LMFAO

jeux-france

According to remarks' of Howard Stringer, chairman of Sony, held in an interview granted to News.com, the European launching of PlayStation 3 would be delayed until next April! The person in charge also indicates his objective to distribute 6 million PlayStation 3 in the world before the tax end of the year in progress which encloses at the end of March 2007. LMFAO

jeux-france

When they say next April, they don't mean 2008, do they?

jeux-france

It seems that Sony are trying there hardest to screw the launch up. If i was gonna get a PS3 i would be mightly pissed off with them right now.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!