N-Europe

GDC 2006

david.dakota

Nitpicker? Me? That's true actually. I'm a perfectionist lol

But I just gave my honest opinion. Good point about the stand, i keep forgetting it is standing in a seperate stand. Let's hope for some good footage tomorrow :)

Isn't Revo the smallest of all next gen consoles though? If being less bulky is the issue, you probably won't have a better choice. By the looks of it it could possibly be smaller or about the same as the old NES.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the overall look anymore. It's gotten bulkier. But what i don't like is how the top is not straight.

nah. its just that there is so little on the back! probably lighting has something to do with it as well...

probably something you should ask a photographer about, not a bunch of gamers :grin:

this is still the same console that we seen last year it's still the prototype with any luck we may see the final one tomorrow. Nintendo reps said to ign that the controler has also changed a little bit.

i wonder what that panel on the top is you carn't really see it in the revolutionreport screens but the ign one at

http://media.revolution.ign.com/articles/697/697733/img_3480733.html

you can clearly see it on the top of the unit.

It's not thicker, some pics just made it look thinner

NintendoRevolution_front3.jpg

Hottest console ever.

EDIT: http://ds.ign.com/articles/697/697671p1.html

Nintendo's booth

Strange, i now prefer the black one over the white. My opinion may change later though!

I personally think Nintendo has to reveal something. Now people know the PS3 is out November, comes with a hard-drive, is region-free it may tempt people to buy Sony's console even more (we all know it's going to sell well).

So i think Nintendo 'has' to reveal a little something we don't know. It won't be the 'big' secret. I'm guessing a release-date estimation and Zelda.

The title of the keynote doesn't exactly do it for me 'disrupting development' what the hell does that mean, do you think???

:awesome:

Hmmm, whoever said the Revolution isn't rectangular is correct.

Yes, yes, I know it's in a sloping base unit, but cast your eye over these two pictures:

http://media.revolution.ign.com/articles/697/697733/img_3480728.html

http://media.revolution.ign.com/articles/697/697733/img_3480721.html

In the first picture, if you use a ruler, you can determine that the bottom of the back end of the Revolution should be at the level of the cabinet floor.

The second picture shows that it clearly isn't. This means the back end of the Revolution is shorter than the front end!

It's probably nothing, given that it's still a prototype.

Just breathe people!

As said, Sony didnt say much, though they had announced some big stuff not long ago which they just re-iterated (release period etc)

Expect Nintendo to talk about DS Lite, a US release perhaps and New Super Mario Bros, and definitely some Zelda talk as wolf sections are going to be playable.

The most i think we'll get out of them are hints on release, hints on where theyre up to, more praise developers are giving, that kind of thing, and lots and lots of the same old 'were different, were changing the way we play games' talk.

The more hyped you get for GDC the more angry you'll be if you're wrong. And you only have yourself to blame.

Hmmm, whoever said the Revolution isn't rectangular is correct.

Yes, yes, I know it's in a sloping base unit, but cast your eye over these two pictures:

http://media.revolution.ign.com/articles/697/697733/img_3480728.html

http://media.revolution.ign.com/articles/697/697733/img_3480721.html

In the first picture, if you use a ruler, you can determine that the bottom of the back end of the Revolution should be at the level of the cabinet floor.

The second picture shows that it clearly isn't. This means the back end of the Revolution is shorter than the front end!

It's probably nothing, given that it's still a prototype.

The back lower corner of the console is cut out, as you can see here.

But it's still mainly rectangular - not a trapezoid, as you are suggesting.

INterview with Iwata

Q: You’re going to save your information on the Revolution until E3?

A: Your prediction is correct.

Q: What will you talk about there?

A: Our objective for E3 is to have a lot of product to experience things such as the controlle. At the Tokyo Game Show last year, we showed video of the controller. A lot of people were surprised, pleasantly I hope. With E3 we want to take the experience of the video and show people what it’s like to hold it in their own hands. That is where were will do more talking.

Q: How much information will you share at E3 about the price and launch dates?

A: We’re still in the process of deciding how we’ll release the information. The goal is to have the product there to experience. The Revolution is coming out this year...

Q: Nintendo stands for first-party innovation. But what about innovation for third parties (those independent companies who make games for Nintendo’s platforms)? Larry Probst, the CEO of Electronic Arts, said that he believes Sony and Microsoft are fighting for the largest market share. But he said he didn’t think Nintendo cared about market share and it is comfortable with its niche. As a result, EA will invest heavily in Sony and Microsoft platforms, but it will be more selective about investing in games for the Revolution.

A: Anytime you introduce a new game machine, there are new ways of providing content. Someone needs to take the lead to show the developers what to do. When 3-D graphics hit, someone had to show how you could do 3-D in a console game. Super Mario 64 did that. It became the starting line for 3-D. We need to continue to do that in a number of different ways. We need to stimulate the development community in ways the other consoles don’t. I think the idea that Nintendo doesn’t care about market share is a misunderstanding. Market share is a way to sell your innovative content. It’s a means. It is not an end. If we create innovative and unique software, we use the market share to deliver it to the widest audiences. That unique and innovative software drives hardware sales. With the GameCube model, we weren’t able to execute on that. This time around, with Revolution, I don’t think that will happen.

It was about three years ago that we were thinking about the DS and planning Revolution. The Japanese game market was continuing to decline. We were sensitive. We saw if we have 100 percent market share, it doesn’t do any good if the market keeps declining. So we are looking at ways of expanding the market...

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2006/03/gdc_an_intervie.html

Don't expect much info.

I don't find it very reassuring, especially as he completely avoided the point that the interviewer was asking and just served up a ready made PR-style answer. Real info, less PR talk please.

Actually he answered the questions completely head on:indeed:

I found that to be a very enjoyable read, including this bit:

"Market share is a way to sell your innovative content. It’s a means. It is not an end. If we create innovative and unique software, we use the market share to deliver it to the widest audiences. That unique and innovative software drives hardware sales."

Good stuff. :)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!