N-Europe

Given Up On TV

Ashley

Not another "nothing good on TV" thread, but rather I've pretty much given up on watching new shows on TV and I'm switching to DVD. I'm sick of being told I have to watch Supernatural on Sunday at 9pm, or Bones on Thursday at 10pm. I like Bones, but haven't watched it for weeks because of awkward scheduling. So I've decided with both I can live without them until the DVDs come out.

Similarly, How I Met Your Mother. BBC have had the rights for ages and its been a fairly big critical and ratings success in America and BBC haven't even mentioned it since they picked up the rights in July. By the time it comes out here the DVD will probably be out, so I'll just get that.

Its also a good way of discovering new shows. I've gotten into Arrested Development and Scrubs through DVD. I've watched the entire first season of Scrubs in about four days because its much easier to do so on DVD.

So who else out there prefers TV on DVD? What programs do you own? etc etc etc

Erm, couldn't you just record something if you know you won't be able to watch it at the scheduled time?

Don't have a video recorder (since DVDs videos are difficult to watch) and thought about getting Sky+ multiroomed into my room but thats £100 and im leaving for uni in September. Plus I'd still have to forward through ads.

But then there are the other DVD benefits; any episode when you want, special features etc.

Erm, couldn't you just record something if you know you won't be able to watch it at the scheduled time?

But then you're still restricted by not being able to watch like 12 episodes in a single day if you feel like it. I am completely with you on this one Ashley. DVDs for TV are the way to go. Especially with something like 24, Lost, Prison Break where they insist on finishing with cliffhangers all the time.

I'm excited for the day when we have a greater choice over how we receive our media. Simultaneous releases of films say, via cinema, HD DVD/BD and the internet would be cool.

This is the start:

http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3588801

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4770458.stm

I agree i miss so many programmes due to the silly days and hours they are on. (nothing to do with me doing shift work of course) But yeah if i really like a TV series like Teachers for example, i buy it and watched them on DVD. I have all 4 series of that and have watched them all in about 4 weeks.

I know what you mean.. I cancelled Sky a few years ago but kept the digi box to tune into the Radio stations which I haven't adjusted in months.

I either watch Channel 4 news or listen to BBC radio stations.. I prefer internet medium.. I love podcasts more than I ever used to watch TV because as mentioned you don't have to schedule your life around them.

DVDs are the best, and so reasonably priced these days. Though I don't understand why UMDs are so popular.. it's such a small screen you could get a DVD for the same price :S

Fuck UK television, Fuck Murdoch, God bless the BBC though.. Freeview + Hard drive recorder is the future I tell thee..

Oh yeah, News that you will love, Film Four is going freeview along with E4 soon.. they air the best movies going.. we'll have to put up with adverts so it is not technically 'as the director intended' but I am willing to put up with that.. though I would gladly pay £7 for advert free movies for a month.

24 is much more enjoyable on DVD. You don't have the week gap with the television broadcasts, and it also allows you to have endless binges that usually end around 3-4am. God bless 24 on DVD.

This is how I got into 24. Decided I wanted to watch something new so i bought the first series and ended up getting them all. Not watched the 5th series on tv once. I'm getting pissed off with sky showing fecking trailers showing what happened in the last episode.

I'm not sure I could live without Sky Sports though.

Well thats the downside, live events and such. Although I never watch them. I think post-uni I might just get Freeview and watch DVDs instead, far easier.

Although the only time I do schedule my life around my viewing is Thursdays - Veronica Mars nights. Although with the bleedin' hiatus not had an episode for a few weeks. Another advantage of DVDs - no hiatuses...hiati?

Yeah, i'm in full support of waiting and watching stuff on DVD. I'm currently going through the X-Files DVD sets (I only ever watched the odd episode when I was younger) and it's great. Finished the first season last week and bought the second one the other day. I also got into The Sopranos via the DVDs, as well as Firefly.

24 and Lost are the only things I watch every week, really.

Fuck UK television, Fuck Murdoch, God bless the BBC though.. Freeview + Hard drive recorder is the future I tell thee..

Oh yeah, News that you will love, Film Four is going freeview along with E4 soon.. they air the best movies going.. we'll have to put up with adverts so it is not technically 'as the director intended' but I am willing to put up with that.. though I would gladly pay £7 for advert free movies for a month.

Yeah, fuck Murdoch.

Anyway, do you have any other confirmation that FilmFour is coming to freeview? That would be absolutely awesome and another excellent channel from the Channel 4 people, after E4 and More4.

Apparently More4+1 currently occupies the slot that it will take right now, as digitalspy goes on..

We have the ex-chairman of FilmFour to thank, he's now boss man at Channel 4 and he loves films! Win Win.

thomson%20DHD4000.jpg

Freeview, 40gb hard drive (20 hours DVD quality) and you can watch one channel while recording another, or even record 2 at once.

Wowza to that, how much £160 c|net gave it 9.0, beating the Philips offering at £260. I'm thinking of getting one of those once signal strength improves here.

I have to say without the BBC though we'd be swamped by reality TV far too much, it's good they offer a standard not set by ratings but more by what the people should get. It's not my cup of tea but at some point in my life I'm sure I'll appreciate it more.. but at this point in my life 4 is all that meets my needs as a viewer.

Couldnt agree more with this thread, today ive watched pretty much the whole first season of arrested development. Over the past few weeks ive been watching all seasons of the Sopranos. Ive also got the first season of the West Wing to work through as well. I only ever really watch the football on T.V now.

Actually realised I have nothing to watch tonight (granted I was planning on going out but that got cancelled) and it feels weird. Although tomorrow im getting Scrubs season two but I've watched the first season and all the extras.

i rarely watch tv anyway, i either go online, or watch a dvd, there is rarely anything decent on that i dont alreasy own on dvd, scept stargate (sg1 an A) an battle star galatica, tis the only shows i watch on tv now, other than that stricltly dvds.

24 is definitely better viewed on DVD, becomes an addiction then!! and i collect a lot of classic shows on dvd too (knight rider obviously, also a-team, airwolf, magnum) but i have to say i couldn't live without my sky.

i would hardly say 10pm, with a few such repeats before the next week's show, is awkward scheduling for bones. love that show, the chemistry and humour is superb, david boreanaz is brilliant in it too!

i watch battlestar religiously every tuesday night, though if i'm on a late shift and can't get it swapped i know there's always thursday, saturday or monday that i can watch it before the next episode - i just couldn't wait for the dvd :D :D even though i will buy it.

and having a daily dose of two and a half men and spongebob is always a good thing ;)

I miss Boomerang actually, it used to be free to air on Sky digi boxes without a subscription card.. but they moved it over to subscription now.

It was quite good for classic cartoons back in the day when they had enough episodes that you didn't get a repeat once a week *cough* dexter's laboratory.