N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

I have a question, ReZ you should know :)

Has Sabretooth always been invincible? And Since when are they like, immortals or at least live a very long life? I've never known about that. Its probably all there in the comics but still just wondering.

Ryan Reynolds FTW.

I'm not 100% sure on Sabretooths powers in the comics, but they are certainly similar in the sense that he has mild regeneration. Don't think its anywhere near Wolvies though.

As for living so long, its because their cells heal and regenerate so they aren't affected by aging, ala Claire from Heroes.

And yeah Ryan Reynolds did rule.....for the bits he got to act in.

You should pick up "Deadpool"

No money for comics :p

Spent an hour reading wiki pages this morning though about comic book characters. Started on Deadpool, ended up on Beast Boy. Lol.

I thought it was like Claire's but I've never seen it mention in other X-men films, nor the TV series.

Full Metal Jacket

First Time I've seen this film. The first half was good, but the second half... meh.

I've never been much of a fan of the war film genre, but the first half you could see the narrative, the changes as the characters went through training, plus random swearing. There seemed to be no evolution in the second half, which was probably intentional as wars are slow, but it doesn't make compelling viewing for me.

A lot of my friends don't like the second half, I can understand since it doesn't contain any Hartman or Pyle. I still think the second half is still good, it depicts the harrowing experience of the Vietnam war as well as any of its peers.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Well I enjoyed it, thought pacing at times was a bit off but overall very enjoyable. Nice cameos from characters in the X-Men universe aswell.

I can see your complaints ReZ but I dont think it bothered me as much.

I did think we should maybe have seen a bit more progression from Sabertooth, maybe got him a bit more hairy as the movie went on, considering how much he has in X1.

7.5/10

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Well I enjoyed it, thought pacing at times was a bit off but overall very enjoyable. Nice cameos from characters in the X-Men universe aswell.

I can see your complaints ReZ but I dont think it bothered me as much.

I did think we should maybe have seen a bit more progression from Sabertooth, maybe got him a bit more hairy as the movie went on, considering how much he has in X1.

7.5/10

I agree, I thought it was better than I thought it would be.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Heard it was great (from this forum) so got it for the girl that lives for me, as she loves anime. I fancied a watch, as sometimes I love anime style, and I loved this.

A beautiful animation, with the anime style that really appeals to me, no ugly alien-people here.

Very nice story, a good way to tackle the idea of time travel. More realistic to what you;d do if you could time-leap. Good voice acting and moving sortof yeah.

8.6/10

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Heard it was great (from this forum) so got it for the girl that lives for me, as she loves anime. I fancied a watch, as sometimes I love anime style, and I loved this.

A beautiful animation, with the anime style that really appeals to me, no ugly alien-people here.

Very nice story, a good way to tackle the idea of time travel. More realistic to what you;d do if you could time-leap. Good voice acting and moving sortof yeah.

8.6/10

+1

Though I'd give it 10/10 meself.

I like it. I've never understood the hate for it, at all. I prefer it to the first, if I'm completely honest.

It really offends me, the third one. Phoenix is handled semi-well and then left aside until the end. This is basically due to have 2 main plots crammed together, Dark Phoenix and the cure.

Biggest offence is the death of Cyclops. Maybe it's fanboyism, but he's the core of the X-Men to me. The team fighting the Bro'hood at the end felt and looked shit and sloppy without him. He, in a film about Dark Phoenix, should finally have been given his time to shine.

I am aware of why he died, james Marsden wanted to go do Superman. So a lot of the blame is on him too.

Mystique was again, underused. One of the best characters in the movie series, or at least one of the most entertaining. Her few scenes were great!

Too many unfleshed villains. Multiple being freed and saying "Sure, I'll join you!" is just a cringeworthy piece of writing.

The army of Bro'Hood were shit. Just tramps who could leap and stick to walls, mostly. Arclight, Psylocke (!@!!!!!dduh! Potential!) and to an extent Callisto weren't fleshed out enough.

I could go on.

X-Men 2 is perfect. Just a brilliant improvement over the first one (which can feel like it's lacking something). This is a poor finally. Plus it's such a downer of a film, that not possible movies could go on from it. Especially ot without Cyclops of Xavier (whose death was handled..decently. If it was just him who died, I would have been ok).

Sigh, i'm not reeeeally gonna defend it much, i admit the down points like cykes death and the use of dark pheonix were big glaring errors. But i rather enjoyed the whole human aspect rather than the mutant one, the relationships of bobby and juno and rogue went well, and the parallels between being different (eg racism and homosexuality) were sometimes obvious, but more often subtely pointed out.

So yeh 7 deal with ittttt.

It really offends me, the third one. Phoenix is handled semi-well and then left aside until the end. This is basically due to have 2 main plots crammed together, Dark Phoenix and the cure.

Biggest offence is the death of Cyclops. Maybe it's fanboyism, but he's the core of the X-Men to me. The team fighting the Bro'hood at the end felt and looked shit and sloppy without him. He, in a film about Dark Phoenix, should finally have been given his time to shine.

I am aware of why he died, james Marsden wanted to go do Superman. So a lot of the blame is on him too.

Mystique was again, underused. One of the best characters in the movie series, or at least one of the most entertaining. Her few scenes were great!

Too many unfleshed villains. Multiple being freed and saying "Sure, I'll join you!" is just a cringeworthy piece of writing.

The army of Bro'Hood were shit. Just tramps who could leap and stick to walls, mostly. Arclight, Psylocke (!@!!!!!dduh! Potential!) and to an extent Callisto weren't fleshed out enough.

I could go on.

X-Men 2 is perfect. Just a brilliant improvement over the first one (which can feel like it's lacking something). This is a poor finally. Plus it's such a downer of a film, that not possible movies could go on from it. Especially ot without Cyclops of Xavier (whose death was handled..decently. If it was just him who died, I would have been ok).

This, basically.

Grant Morrison and Joss Whedon get Cyclops. He's an absolutely ace character. seeing him trampled by this film was a sore point. :hmm:

I love Cyclops. He's just brilliant. In the comics, it's less of an issue if he's not on the team, a lot of the issues I read when I read X-Men a lot were when he left the team. But on screen AND in comics, he is the core of the X-men. Wolverine just...isn't.

You really need to read Grant Morrison's X Men. He does new and brilliant things with Scott Summers. I think you'd really dig his take on the series as a whole.

I have. I read all of the main run of New X-men. Up to Dark Phoenix's return/departure. I loved.

I loved Frank Quitley's art as well. Shame abut Igor Kordey's.

Changeling

Really enjoyed it. Kind of traumatic to watch. There is a bit right at the end that was really poignant but I can't be arsed to describe it. Also, I liked all Ms Jolie's hats. Was quite long, not really a criticism. Started to go a bit Hollywood, but overall I'll give it a thumbs up.

Edited by Daft