NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

I was in the process of typing up a big list of films better then LOTR but O_W beat me to it.

I was in the process of typing up a big list of films better then LOTR but O_W beat me to it.

Lawl. I like you, man with the noodles.

Most of the others I'll probably never watch because they don't look or sound interesting.

Oh god, you fail so much at taste in things.

And to ensure that it is clear that I have no right to tell you that, I will say something that a lot of people won't like.

Shawshank Redemption annoys me, as fine as the film and its performances are, the amount of sentimentality in the last half hour is sickening. I can take sentimentality in small amounts but SS is too much. I guess it is meant to be life affirming or whatever but sentimentality annoys me.

Nevertheless its great film. On the topic of great films, everyone watch Apocalypse Now, Chinatown and One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest NOW. Then report back and you get a sticker. They are my favourite films btw.

The Third Man

Rear Window

City Of God

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Citizen Kane

Clockwork Orange

The Lives Of Others

Requiem For A Dream

Pulp Fiction

Fargo

No Country For Old Men

The Colours Trilogy

Grave Of The Fireflies

I really want to watch these films in particular. More of a reminder to me than any kind of discussion point.

Nice list Oxigen, personally i'd add La vita è bella to it, but I probably need to watch it a few more times to decide whether it really is 10/10 standard.

And to ensure that it is clear that I have no right to tell you that

I think me admitting countless times that I have an odd taste gives you enough right to say that.

St. Trinians

Actually the funniest movie I've seen in a long time.

I uncontrolably laughed thrice in the movie.

The bit where he goes into the RE classroom and theres a girl crucified on the blackboard had me laughing for literally 10 minutes of the film.

Awesome movie, though ruined by Girls Aloud at the end.

9/10

St. Trinians

Actually the funniest movie I've seen in a long time.

I uncontrolably laughed thrice in the movie.

The bit where he goes into the RE classroom and theres a girl crucified on the blackboard had me laughing for literally 10 minutes of the film.

Awesome movie, though ruined by Girls Aloud at the end.

9/10

Yay =D

I'm so glad you liked it!

Looking forward to seeing this, looks like great fun :grin:

Gremlins

Not as good as I expected it to be, but enjoyable and had a few laughs.

6/10

Gremlins 2

Wow...this was very very bad.

3/10

Snakes on a Plane

Definltey over-hyped, but good mindless fun!

6.5/10

Rocky Balboa

My first viewing of a Rocky film (and a Stallone film methinks) and it was very enjoyable from start to finish, but the final fight was slighlty disappointing. Looking forward to John Rambo now :grin:

8/10

Lord of the Rings 1,2&3 10/10

The definition of epic.

The Big Labowski:8/10

Great movie, hadn't seen it before. Funny as well, great characters.

If you don't mind me asking Oxigen_Waste, but what do you like so much about Rashomon? We saw that movie in our Literature lecture last year and it was just awfully boring and... not good. Dunno, didn't seem like anyone liked it; a lot of people even left early. =/

So, care to explain why it's so good in your opinion?

Other than that, there's some great movies on that list. :smile:

i like most the list oxigen(well the ones i dont like are ones i havent seen) but i really don't understand pulp fiction.. is it just the fantastic dialogue or am i missing anything else.. I'm only seen it once and it was a long time ago so maybe i was too young perhaps.

I watched The Simpsons Movie again today now the 3rd time i have seen it! :grin:

And it's still 6 bears out of 7 :yay:

also watched Ice Age, which is also quite good 4 Bears out of 7. :)

Gremlins

6/10

Gremlins 2

Wow...this was very very bad.

3/10

Snakes on a Plane

Definltey over-hyped, but good mindless fun!

6.5/10

Rocky Balboa

My first viewing of a Rocky film (and a Stallone film methinks) and it was very enjoyable from start to finish, but the final fight was slighlty disappointing. Looking forward to John Rambo now :grin:

8/10

i really dont understand people who like rocky 1. I thougt it was god awful boredom.. It had story and charm yes but it was very very boring i cant put it any other way.. gremlins 1 is great. gremlins 2 is indeed shit. snakes on a plane is exactly as you say... its such a 6.5 film its not funny.

I watched The Simpsons Movie again today now the 3rd time i have seen it! :grin:

And it's still 6 bears out of 7 :yay:

also watched Ice Age, which is also quite good 4 Bears out of 7. :)

oh man please reverse the scores lol

I Am Legend

So awesome. Dont know how it compares to the book, but the directing, the amazing attention to detail, the ambience, the photography and the slightly different structure than usual (cant pin point it it just feels different) just made it great. It's like, I care about the story, but what has me sucked in is the mood and tha fantastic acting.Will Smith really rocks hard. Someone give him a goddamn Oscar! Also, they portrayed really well one of the most beautiful things in the world: the relationship between a man an his dog.

Also, awesome CGI.

I Am Legend

So awesome. Dont know how it compares to the book, but the directing, the amazing attention to detail, the ambience, the photography and the slightly different structure than usual (cant pin point it it just feels different) just made it great. It's like, I care about the story, but what has me sucked in is the mood and tha fantastic acting.Will Smith really rocks hard. Someone give him a goddamn Oscar! Also, they portrayed really well one of the most beautiful things in the world: the relationship between a man an his dog.

Also, awesome CGI.

You motherfucker! I'll only be able to see it in January, seen that it's not in our town's crappy cinema! :(

i really dont understand people who like rocky 1. I thougt it was god awful boredom.. It had story and charm yes but it was very very boring i cant put it any other way.. gremlins 1 is great. gremlins 2 is indeed shit. snakes on a plane is exactly as you say... its such a 6.5 film its not funny.

oh man please reverse the scores lol

Rocky Balboa is the 6th one not the first one.

Spongebob Squarepants Movie

I don't care what anyone says, it's a rare treat to watch a cartoon show that manages to maintain the pace and humour of it's televisual source.

7/10

Superbad

Got to see it at last! and man, it's hilarious. Laughed most of the way through the film, it's just great. One of the best american comedies I've seen in a long time. 8/10

Death Sentance

Now, I must admit I went and bought pizza and a couple of four-packs right in the middle of this film, so all I saw was teh clearly-over-the-top montage of how great the guys family is, and then the overly violent and ridiculous end shoot 'em up. I completely missed the bit where it makes sense. It ended 'well', was directed decently and had good pace, believable dialogue and relationships (mostly), but I just felt that there were too many characters, and that Falling Down depicts a man past breaking point far better.

5/10

Primer

A decent little Indie film about four physics students (I figure) discovering a way to go back in time (with limits). watched it with a physics student and a maths student, and they generally concluded that the theories and terminology the cast used was accurate and sense-making. There is a danger that an audience may lose the will to care about anything they're watching because it takes a while for any action to take off, but it's one of those films that you feel must be some sort of puzzle while you watch it, and it keeps your brain whirring and clicking - Which I like :)

I want to watch it again, when more sober, but for now I think it deserves a nice 7.8/10

Catwoman is on ITV right now. I want to see if this is as bad as everyone is saying. All the music thats been played so far are all Beyonce tracks, i smell a licencing agreement.

Catwoman is on ITV right now. I want to see if this is as bad as everyone is saying..

It is.

The TV guide has given it 3 stars, which is by 2 stars the most generous rating Ive ever seen it receive.

Id give it 2.9/10

Easily the worst film I ever saw at a cinema.

Gremlins

6/10

Add 5 to that score and you are closer to the truth.

The Call Of Cthulhu (2005)

Now here's a movie I bet not many people around here have heard of. It's an adaptation of the short story "The Call Of Cthulhu", by H.P Lovecraft, and it's been done to mimic old silent movies (B&W, no audio besides music, all dialoge appears in text form like in old silent movies, not very long (45 minutes, to be precise) uses minitures and stop motion for special effect), and it is really a fantastic film. Easily the best adaptation of any of Lovecraft's works to date. Highly recommended. However, it's only avalible for purchase on the internet. or via torrent lololol

10/10.

Vanity Fair

Reese Witherspoon was brilliant as the main character. There were some funny comedy moments and it kept me interested throughout. It dragged on a little though, it could have done with cutting about 15 minutes from it. Meyers character annoyed me, but I don't really like him as an actor anyway. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would though, and It's definitely worth a watch.

7/10

Catwoman

Bluddy awful.

1.3/10

John Tucker Must Die

Really fun. This was my second time watching it and I found it just as funny this time round as I did last time. It's got something different to it than the usual teen high school comedy movie. I love the whole idea of the movie, though I wish it lived more up to it's title and became a sort of horror/comedy thing. Anyway, I laughed out loud a fair few times, and didn't get bored.

7.1/10