NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Domo Kun

Internet acronyms/slang that you hate

I think someone got banned from something awful for saying "JPGSPLSKTHX!".

I find all chav text speak annoying eg. 2getha, dat, dis etc.

I wish people would type in IM conversations with a similar standard of english as we use on forums. Text message speak just isn't acceptable to me, and every time a stereotypical 'chav texter' adds me to msn, they don't last long on my contact list. :rolleyes:

I wish people would type in IM conversations with a similar standard of english as we use on forums. Text message speak just isn't acceptable to me, and every time a stereotypical 'chav texter' adds me to msn, they don't last long on my contact list. :rolleyes:

The annoying thing is, they don't use it to save time; many of the words are the normal length but disgustingly warped. eg. "woz" ughhhhhhhh [/stewie].

Heh.

I really, really hate 'heh'. I feel as though it implies so much in so few letters, mostly a really elitist tone, like "I'm above you and your puny comment is laughable".

I always use "heh" as a conversation filler, or some kind of light laugh. I guess it sounds like the closed mouth sound some people make when lightly amused?

And for the record, for the win/FTW IS annoying, but mostly everything else is tolerable. It all gets annoying in the end.

[Edit]

I totally forgot the XD/XP/XO faces, Sexual Chocolate (see below). Rather than stretch another post, I'll address those here too. Those are fucking infuriating, almost as much as cutesy girls using anime faces.

People who do XD Is it a smily or has some been XD'd by the magical non existent word of XD, im looking at you Jordan.

[...]I do think that English might start using more "sensible" spellings. You know like 'nite' instead of 'night' (as it's used in text speak).

I'm pretty sure that was the idea behind American English.

One thing I really hate and always have is "lol". I just can't see how people can use that thing; I mean, I've seen people use it at the end of every sentence they wrote.

"I went to school today and got a lot of homework lololol"

... I don't get it. They usually type worse than that too. But yeah, I just hate that thing... a lot.

The use of 'lol' as a form of punctuation is almost as annoying as the people who lace every sentence with 'fuck' or its variants.

I can't stand its derivatives, such as 'lolol', either. At least in its orignal form it was a meaningful acronym, but what's the latter on about?

this is neither slang nor acronym, but im disturbed by the abuse of the words 'magical' and 'stylish' on videogame forums oO

Can't say I've ever noticed this. Examples?

Everyone is going on about "chav speak" in texts and stuff, but that actually has a point: to make texting quicker.

What the fuck is the point of internet speak?

The use of 'lol' as a form of punctuation is almost as annoying as the people who lace every sentence with 'fuck' or its variants.

I can't stand its derivatives, such as 'lolol', either. At least in its orignal form it was a meaningful acronym, but what's the latter on about?

The use of "lol" has now become a joke. Have you ever tried saying "lol"? It sounds ridiculous, as do it's siblings "roffle" and "lamayo". I think the repeated postings like "lololol" is just to abbreviate an onslaught of laughter all at once? It's all pretty stupid, which is why it's popular. Then there's the fact "lolololol" flows seamlessly and looks nice. Like a stream of annoying lols.

It's a conversation filler just like "heh" and any emoticon ever made.

In the time writing this, I've decided emoticons are pretty rubbish too. As are those horrible ASCII Kirby's people like to make dance about. Rid the word of this, somebody, please.

Also, anyone got friends who replace letters and short phrases in MSN with neon glowing supersized emoticons? This seems to have become a hurtful trend among a few of the people on my list, and it's bloody annoying.

The great thing about using Trillian is that I don't get any of those flashy neon things or winks or anything.

The only downside is that LOL appears as some fucked up smiley face. Which kind of makes conversations with you lot a lot more amusing.

Also, anyone got friends who replace letters and short phrases in MSN with neon glowing supersized emoticons? This seems to have become a hurtful trend among a few of the people on my list, and it's bloody annoying.

god, yes.

I mean, for the love of all that is holy, can they at least make it so they have to use them on purpose? I have several that have this wank pink swirly ME. every time those two lettters are used. AAAAARRRGGH!

I cant stand people keep calling you noob because you do somthing wrong or just for the sake of it. I have a friend like that and it makes me want to kick him in the face.

Is it briggsy? Retro-lover wants his x-fire account. Though someone on here has probably got more hours on. All I can remember is he has over 600 hours on Condition Zero.

OH MY GOD, i typed a massive rant 3 trimes and every time it crashed when i pressed sned. In responce to guy, yes i have friend with glowing emotes for every letter. they are so annoying, my usual responce to them is:

"Get rid of those fucking emotes!!!!"

And when it doesn't show up it';s soo annoying too, like this:

T day w nt t t wn w th m mum

(Today i went to town with my mum)

OH MY GOD, i typed a massive rant 3 trimes and every time it crashed when i pressed sned. In responce to guy, yes i have friend with glowing emotes for every letter. they are so annoying, my usual responce to them is:

"Get rid of those fucking emotes!!!!"

And when it doesn't show up it';s soo annoying too, like this:

T day w nt t t wn w th m mum

(Today i went to town with my mum)

Yeh I'm moaning at a girl for it now.

if u c4n r34d 7h1s u r331y n33d t0 g4t l41d.

nuff said.

Omg u n0b3d its g3t n0t g4t u fuckin n0b ed m8.

[...]I do think that English might start using more "sensible" spellings. You know like 'nite' instead of 'night' (as it's used in text speak).

Read Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. In the orison of sonmi-451, spelling has been altered (including that exact example), presumably by the Government, which is a slightly sinister one. Later on, all the changes crumble to nothing and the language quite literally breaks down.

This thread has given me some laughs, mostly because a lot of what I see here is so true.

About lol, I think one of the reasons I kinda hate it is because it's an actual Dutch word that means as much as fun. I never ever use that word though because indeed it sounds horrible. And because now I just associate it with internet language too much.

Speaking about language, I'm kinda worried about some people's writing skills online. And I mean native English people, who are supposed to be using that language since they were born. Is it that difficult to write properly? I mean, of course it's okay to make some mistakes from time to time; no one's perfect. But it just gets really really sad when you don't even try to write properly anymore. Not only does it make you look dumb, but it's also annoying for people who did not grow up using the English language (like me, yay) cause it's sometimes just really hard to understand. And no, it does not make you look cool to write stuff wrong. Urgh.

About emoticons, I really really hate the ones on MSN; one of the main reasons why I don't use it that often. They just make me want to scream. Text emoticons I kinda love though, since I've gotten so used to using them.

Like XD X3 ='3 ='D ... I'm sorry if my use of those offends anyone. ='D

And heh (or variations like hehehe, ha and hahaha) are awesome and should be used instead of lol cause really, that's what laughing sounds like, in a way. They don't take long to type either, plus they might make you look a bit less of retard. Maybe.

Woohoo, more than 10 characters.

cant stand the O RLY? then they do a stupid owl pic after it wtf is up with that :/

i had the WoW fever bad round xmas would say to bro "Looking for Group Newport 1 needed" hehe pretty sad now i think about it ;)

well, i use lol by accident to be honest, its become a habit, and i say it even if theres nothing funny about it lol...

now when im really laughing like hell i usually go HAHAHAHAHAHAH...

but my favourite would be the sarcastic laugh

LROlfdpoflRoLFORLFO

"heh" sometimes doesnt come out right on my end, im sure its used in good intent, but it sounds more like "yeah im bored" dunno why..

otherwise i use the standard emoticons u get with msn. i dont go over the top unless i wanna annoy someone.

i tend to use this > a lot. because it saves me from typing "is better than"

hmmm..im just a lazy typist really

Speaking about language, I'm kinda worried about some people's writing skills online. And I mean native English people, who are supposed to be using that language since they were born. Is it that difficult to write properly? I mean, of course it's okay to make some mistakes from time to time; no one's perfect. But it just gets really really sad when you don't even try to write properly anymore. Not only does it make you look dumb, but it's also annoying for people who did not grow up using the English language (like me, yay) cause it's sometimes just really hard to understand. And no, it does not make you look cool to write stuff wrong. Urgh.
A lot of people's spelling has really gone downhill in the last couple of years, and most people just misspell things because they think it makes them sound cool. Which it doesn't. Unfortunately there's not much we can do to prevent this retarded communication, apart from physically ignoring them, thus not stooping down to their level.

In IRC the only smileys I use are:

:-) and ;-)

I pity those who see the 'mobile emoticons' tv adverts and spend all their credit filling their phone with crappy pointless faces.

I don't mind net slang. Although I don't understand the whole <3 thing.

The best thing is when someone overdoes the 733T speek and has abuse rain down on them by usually equally nerdy nerds.

I do hate the whole MSN screen names thing that goes like "oMg!!! cHarliE gOT wIth a tOTaL hoTTie, Yo gO gIrL LOLOLOLOl!!!" thing. Very irritating. And by irritating I mean that I have to go outside and beat up small children to relieve my anger.

the only think i hate about these is when you are talking to someone and all they can type back is "lol" e.g

Me : Hey hows you

Them : lol

Me : what you been up2?

Me : ok im going to play WoW now (im addicted :( )

Them : lol cya

the only think i hate about these is when you are talking to someone and all they can type back is "lol" e.g

Me : Hey hows you

Me : what you been up2?

Me : ok im going to play WoW now (im addicted :( )

Them : lol cya

I do that, but mostly when:

1)I just dont know what to say

2)I dont care what the other person is saying, but feel rude for not replying.

Everyone should hate the: <3 and LOL and RFOL and IMO and FTW

But i like:^_^ XD ^-^(my gf does that one when she's happy ^_^ YAY) T_T -_- and many others that are faces

Sign in to follow this