N-Europe

Euro 2024 | 14th June to 14th July

Posted (edited)

UEFA-EURO2024-KV_UEFA.png

With the curtain all but closed on the European club football season following last night's Champions League final - well, all but Atalanta and Fiorentina playing Matchday 29 today due to their involvements up to and including the Europa League and Europa Conference League finals, respectively - I figured it was time to whip out a new thread ahead of this year's Euro's. 

This year, the UEFA European Championships return to Germany for just the third time, following West Germany hosting the tournament in 1988 and Germany being one of the locations used last time out for the multinational Euro 2020/2021. Interesting tidbit: this will be the first time that the Euro's make its way to what was formerly East Germany, with Leipzig set to host a number of games, and it's also the first time that reunified a Germany will host the tournament as a solo nation. 

Anyways, onto the tournament itself, which will see 24 national teams compete across 10 German host cities over a 31 day stretch from 14th June to 14th July for the chance of being crowned the Kings of Europe at the Olympiastadion in Berlin.

And talking of the teams, here are the groups:

final_-_draw_groups_-_facebook_202403271

And talking of the groups, here's the tournament tree:

WST_20231204_WST_473367_EuroBracket2024-

Not sure about everyone else, but I've been foaming at the mouth in anticipation of this competition over the last few months. The 2020/2021 edition of the competition was one of the most electric international football tournaments I can remember watching, and the 2022 World Cup only seemed to up the ante from there.

So, will we get a third consecutive international tournament involving European teams as explosive as the last? Or are we doomed to slouch into the couch as we're privy to a bunch of goalless draws? 

Either way, the tournament kick-off is just 12 days away on Friday 14th June at 20:00 BST, when tournament hosts Germany will be facing off against Scotland in the Allianz. 

Will be looking forward to talking about and following this tournament in the coming weeks with you all! :peace:

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 2

I'm still not at all in the mood for this.

Maybe it'll change when I watch the first game in Milan getting absolutely hammered with two friends :D Probably also highly dependent on the result of that game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'll watch it, have zero hopes for England and continue to criticise Southgate and his team selection/tactics. 

giphy.gif

I will make fun of your team unless they win and/or are better than Germany :p

• Haha 2

I think that the continued addition of large amounts of added time (90 + 10'!) will ensure we don't get too many goalless draws. 

I'm quite looking forward to it. 

Maguire, Grealish, Branthwaite and others miss out
published at 17:38
17:38
Confirmation there, as England name their 26-man squad, that seven players chosen in the training squad will not be on the plane to Germany. They are:

• Jack Grealish
  • Harry Maguire
  • James Maddison
  • Jarell Quansah
  • Curtis Jones
  • James Trafford
  • Jarrad Branthwaite

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/live/cw0010vjr2dt?post=asset%3Abe5ddcbf-ed54-475e-8f56-476e14be2931#post

Credit to kickmaster Southgate for some of these exclusions. Plus he didn't even call up the likes of Hendo, Rashfad and Sterling to begin with.

• Like 1

Slabhead not being there due to injury is unfortunate, say what you will about his form for United, felt like he's always tried with the England shirt on. 

The rest all make sense to me. Grealish has never been fully utilised by Southgate (swear he's always saved to be a super sub in tournaments and then isn't picked even after putting a decent enough shift in?), and Palmer 100% deserves to be in this squad over Grealish after the season he's just had. Bet Jack's really questioning how the last year's gone at City. 

Feels good that Guéhi is likely to turn out at CB alongside Stones, shame he never really got much of a chance with us. Our back line is definitely our weakest part of the pitch, though. 

Not to overhype us - because I think England are missing that spark which makes a tourney-winning squad - but, on paper, we have the second best squad at this tournament behind France.

I mean, if me and my mate can win the thing with this squad in the Euro 2024 mode on FIFA via Share Play, with all the latency that brings... :p

Today is the day! Can't wait for kick-off tonight between Germany and Scotland :D

If for whatever reason, you aren't quite feeling the hype yet, fear not! The BBC have released videos on the goals that defined the last five editions of the tournament, from 2004 to 2020/2021 to get your hype levels up. 

So, who's everyone backing to take the trophy home? For me it's really hard to look beyond the French, which has been the case for a while now.

Meanwhile, defending champions Italy seem to be taking a bit of a younger squad this time around with the view that this is a bit of a warm-up and staging ground for 2026's World Cup -- if they can qualify, that is! 

19 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

This for me has got to be one of the least hyped tournaments. I forgot it was happening for the most part.

boo-this-man-hat-throw-meme-original-3ye

In fairness, I feel like a lot of my excitement comes from the 2020/21 Euros and 2022 WC being absolutely top tier as far as international football tournaments go. I fully expect the hype to die down by the end of Matchday 2 if we're getting a lot more goalless draws and narrow margins of victory this time around :p

57 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

This for me has got to be one of the least hyped tournaments. I forgot it was happening for the most part.

Same. To be fair, this seems to be the general feeling from everyone at work and my mates as well. I'll obviously still watch all of it but I'm not half as excited as I usually am for these tournaments.

Watched the highlights of Portugal v Ireland from the other evening. It's insane just how good Ronaldo still is at his age. 

1 hour ago, Julius said:

So, who's everyone backing to take the trophy home? For me it's really hard to look beyond the French, which has been the case for a while now.

Yup. I have them pegged to run away with it. Portugal and Germany are my dark horse picks. Germany have been rubbish for a while now but it wouldn't surprise me if the home nation shows up to play. 

• Like 1

Due to me being busy, the hype for this tournament hasn't really caught up with me. Maybe it will once a few games get rolling.

I hope Ronaldo cuts back his screentime, considerably. Our team needs to develop properly.

That shot of 'Euro' reflected in a curve on the cup during this Beckenbauer applause is a beaut. 

Just 5 minutes to go. A night to remember for Scotland or back to business for Germany? 

Looking at this German squad is making me think about if and when skin fades are going to go out of style. Feels like it's been in for a good minute :D

Anyways, here we go! 

Well, that was fast.

Good start for Germany, seemed like both sides were interested in attacking - which is always nice - but I'm curious to see how Scotland react now. They'll be questioning whether they sit deeper or push up and try to grab an equaliser, surely? 

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Brutal. Tearing them apart.

Yep.

I feel like a tough opener for Germany might've set the tone because of how young this squad is, but it seems like they're jumping on the chance to make a statements. Men vs boys out there the last 15 minutes. 

This could get pretty ugly. 

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Scotland's formation is weird to me. Not enough cover at the back and the forward is completely on his own and gets surround instantly.

Totally agree. Feels like they're playing four centre backs at times too, it's like they've given up on defending the flanks. Feels like they're playing in the middle 75% of the pitch until they get into the opposing final third, at which point they're totally isolated and have no choice but to try and lump it in. 

Seems like they've got off lightly with this penalty call being changed to a free kick, good call from VAR though. 

Gosh, I hate ITV commentators. 

Saying Kroos is a Real Madrid man and then correcting themselves to say "former". Technically, he's under contract at Madrid until the end of June, even if he's played his last game for them. 

I hate them. But at least there's no Lee Dixon, I guess. 

• Haha 1

Totally agree with Christina Unkel, that was a horrible challenge even if he had to make it: studs into the ankle, got the ball with his other foot, yes, but that's a red all day. 

She's been a really good value-add just going off her contributions in this first half. 

Posted (edited)

There we go, red and a pen, as it should be. 

Scotland are going to be lucky if this doesn't end 4-0 or 5-0 or even more. This isn't Brazil in 2014 where they got told to take their foot off the gas (some good that did), it's the opener to their own tournament. This is going to be about sending a message. 

Edited by Julius