N-Europe

Bakeru (Totally not Goemon) (3rd September 2024)

Dcubed

So, I've tried the demo, seems to be a different format to the Japan demo, as it doesn't appear to be first four levels.

Reports going around that this western release (Which adds a few new abilities, according to eShop) runs a bit better. I can't confirm that, I haven't played the Japanese one, but it ran fine with a few fluctuations now and again.

The actual game? Yeah, it has promise, the comparison to Kirby and the Forgotten Land is apt, the structure for the main platforming sections is a lot like that game.
Defo wishlisting this one.

28 minutes ago, Ashley said:

And according to the video posted the other day. 

No, I mean actual abilities not in the original, such as a "Hurricane Spin" There's nothing like that in the actual demo, but it mentions it on the eShop page.

Edited by Glen-i

• 2 weeks later...

Just gone through the demo. It's turned me off the game to be honest, the movement is a lil sluggish, the combat is boring and there was little in the way of puzzle/exploration. The longer girder level had 1-2 offshoots off the main path, and I died many times thinking I could jump to another roof before invisible walls blocked me.

The robot level was sluggish and the shooting level was a poor man's Lylat Wars. I was so looking forward to this, but glad I know now before investing.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2024 at 7:39 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

I take it nobody picked this up? I've been reading some impressions from those that did and it appears the Switch version is still pretty rough when it comes to performance. Those playing on PC seem to be having a much smoother experience. 

I picked it up on PC. :)
Not had much opportunity to play it yet (just the first few levels) but based on the little I've played so far it looks, runs and sounds fantastic! :yay:

The art style is great, the Goemon vibes are everywhere :love: and there have already been some poo jokes. :heh:
So yeah, I'm loving it. :D

Only potential issue I can see right now is with the camera control, or rather, the lack of control. It's possible to rotate it with the right stick, but there doesn't appear to be any way to instantly recentre it behind Bakeru. Which is a bit annoying when sprinting as you have to hold down the X button, so no way to move the camera at the same time. Unless I'm missing something. ::shrug:

Anyway, can't wait to properly get my teeth into this over the weekend. :bouncy:

• Thanks 2

I will get round to playing Bakeru at some point, but right now, my priority is the Ace Attorney Investigations collection.  Have waited a literal decade and a half to play AAI2, and that’s getting prioritised over anything else.