N-Europe

Bakeru (Totally not Goemon) (3rd September 2024)

Dcubed

Announced exclusively in the Japanese Nintendo Direct...

Mameda Bakeru.  A brand new game developed and self-published by Good Feel, the developers behind the original Goemon series while at Konami, a game that is totally not a brand new Goemon game!

I'm praying for an English localisation for you @RedShell

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

EYVc9mD.gif

Nice surprise! :) Shame it was only in the Japanese Direct, but it's still great to see that the project hasn't been cancelled.
Wonder if there's any chance this might also release on Steam/Epic, similar to how Monkey Barrels was initially revealed and released on Switch but then later arrived on PC.

I don't reckon it's very likely to make it out of Japan though which is unfortunate, but there's always the option of getting it from their eShop I suppose. ::shrug: Although I've not imported/played a Japanese exclusive title for a long time... think the last one was actually Captain Rainbow on Wii! :o

Anyway, here's hoping this game does well. It might convince Konami to offer Good Feel use of the Goemon IP for a remake, or better yet, an original (official :heh:) Mystical Ninja game!  :hehe:

18 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Even if it doesn't come out in the west, I'm certainly looking forward to listening to this soundtrack until the end of time :bouncy:

Yep, same. :yay:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, RedShell said:

Think that was someone else, as I'm pretty sure I got it online from PlayAsia.
Man, that's a blast from the past! Are they still going?...

*has a look*...

They are. :hehe:

Considering that almost every game now gets an English localisation (with Japanese exclusives more or less relegated to the occasional physical release that doesn’t come out elsewhere), I’m surprised that they’re still trucking along!

5 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Considering that almost every game now gets an English localisation (with Japanese exclusives more or less relegated to the occasional physical release that doesn’t come out elsewhere), I’m surprised that they’re still trucking along!

I think they must be selling a lot of this... stuff: :heh:

Spoiler

skD6mxb.jpg

• Weird 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Controls are L/R, L+R to attack. Hold to charge. It has this sort of automatic lock-on where you'll go for the next nearest enemy when surrounded. You can also, block, dodge and jump. Standard. The only thing I reckon it could do with is a run button, although you can buy a speedup item for 100 coins. There are transformations—the first allows you to become small to access "mouse hole" sort of areas. Transformations use up energy which you get from felling enemies and general exploration.

Levels have optional collectibles (5 unchinku facts, 3 souvenir doodads) and three evil disco lantern things you must destroy to unlock the big festival drum exit. 

You pick up coins, too, which can be used to buy items (you can carry three at a time) and you'll lose some if/when you die. 3,000 for extra health. I died twice from falling off levels into the abyss. First from getting to a spot I couldn't find a way back from, second from dropping off the top of a building to see if I could land on a lower ledge. Auto-revive item took care of a third when the spinny enemies got on top of me.

It's not all action platforming; an early level is a car race. Provided the first four levels—the extent of the demo—is a decent barometer, this is reminiscent of Kirby and The Forgotten Land. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Apparently the frame rate is all over the place.

Noticed some slight weirdness panning the camera while moving at one or two points but nothing excessive. Could be more prominent later if levels become more demanding. But what do I know—I still generally take slowdown as the console being ambitiously pushed to its limits. Or in the case of something like Bangai-O Spirits, a welcome feature.

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

Disaster strikes Japan! Oracle Saitaro and his Festival Troops are using a bizarre festival to take over Japan. Bakeru travels to 47 Japanese prefectures to free Japan from the grip of evil spirits!

Spectacular action set in fairy tale Japan! Bakeru takes place in “Fairy Tale Japan,” a mix of modern Japan and old period dramas, which is divided into more than 50 stages.

Battle on with Bakeru’s drum! A secret treasure passed down by Tanuki Clan. It is said to be able to purify evil spirits. Fight through enemies and traps with simple controls!

Transform into fairy tale heroes! By obtaining a Henge License, Bakeru can transform into whoever gave him the license. Transform into famous Japanese heroes like Kintaro and Momotaro to use their skills and abilities.

Additional features have been added to the Western release

・New Attack: Hurricane

・New Attack: Spinning Top

・Additional Enemy: Lantern Boss

This has appeared on the Nintendo AU site with a planned release date of 03/09/2024!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Amazing. No word of a lie, I nearly imported it just last week. :D 

Good job you held off. Yeah there's several I want to get off Play-Asia so it's nice to see a few gradually make it over here. Fingers crossed that physical may follow.

• Cube changed the title to Bakeru (Totally not Goemon) (3rd September 2024)