NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes

You certainly have to just give yourself over to what Rising is going for. It makes no bones about what it is... a short game full of filler.

I started playing Rising today. I bought it during TGS when it was on sale on PSN. I figured with the trailer dropping the other day, as well as drahkon giving it a go, I would finally try it out.

I had planned to jump between Rising and Dragon Quest but surprisingly Rising got its hooks in me and wouldn't let go. It won't be for everyone though but it certainly appeals to the grinding/farming gamer in me.

The core loop of helping people via sidequests and then upgrading the village is quite addictive. Like when darksnowman was playing it, I found a certain appeal in trying to level up all of the various shops. Doing so will give you the ability to buy better equipment, which in turn will allow you to get better materials. 

One thing that could have killed this loop would have been traversal and load times. Thankfully neither are an issue. The fast travel system is just that and is well thought out, with many places for you to teleport to. This is definitely needed as you will be revisiting areas quite a lot for quests or general material grinding.

I quite like the battle system. Controlling 3 characters is very simple and the link chain combos that you can pull off are satisfying to watch. 

I've no idea how far I am into the game (just got the fire ruin and I'm on platinum rank on my sidequest card) but I've enjoyed my time on it so far. I'm actually kinda shocked by how much I'm enjoying it. 

Another JRPG done and dusted.

GBpOJukWgAAqhBI?format=jpg&name=large

I didn't really have high expectations when going into this. I figured it would be fine and that's about it but that wasn't the case at all. I loved it and it's definitely another surprise hit of the year for me.

I finished the story off this morning (started my 2 weeks Christmas holidays from work today, hence me gaming in the morning) and spent the rest of the day mopping things up. 

When you finish the story you unlock hard difficulty. This comes in real handy because the exp tapered off at the end of the game. Hard mode offers more exp for your efforts which made getting to level 50 a lot easier. 

The trophies required me to defeat each of bosses again on hard difficulty, reach max level with every character, max level with weapons and armour and finish every side quest. There was plenty to do and I enjoyed doing all tasks. 

It took short of 20 hours to do everything and I wish more JRPGs were of this length. Its nice to have a breezy adventure knowing that it won't take weeks to finish. 

Bring on the sequel. :peace:

• Weird 1

I don't know what to say...Congrats? What's wrong with you? Good job? How could you?

Take your pick.

This is madness. :p

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I don't know what to say...Congrats? What's wrong with you? Good job? How could you?

Take your pick.

This is madness. :p

What can I say? I enjoyed the mindless grinding, farming materials and rebuilding the town. The gameplay loop was great. Obviously you didn't think so. :p

Footage from the Taipei Game Show:

Yup, still looks great! 

Backer platforms can now be confirmed for anyone who supported the Kickstarter, so now the long, 3 months wait begins for my copy to arrive, as well as for the additional support items to go up (like that OST!) :D

• Thanks 1

Yoshitaka Murayama, the creator of Suikoden and Eiyuden, sadly passed away last week

5142faa411ee8e57573cf4d6716d14ac-origina

This is the official statement from Rabbit & Bear Studios, who have been developing Eiyuden and preparing Hundred Heroes for its April release. 

I really hope that both Eiyuden and the Suikoden remasters release smoothly this year, as I don't think there'd be a better way to honour him. The first two Suikoden games are true gems and really deserve much more attention, and I know Murayama had shared in recent years that he wouldn't be against returning to the franchise at some point and continuing the story of that world. 

Rest in peace, Murayama-san. 

• Sad 2

Very sad.  Damn shame that he never got to live to see Hundred Heroes come to fruition :(

God, that sucks. Being so close to release date.

That makes my decision to buy it day 1 even easier now. I hope it does well.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this