NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: N64 & SEGA Mega Drive (& GBA!!)

The minigames are top shelf stuff, but once again, the main game is basically unbeatable without Transfer Pak support; making this a bit of a pyrrhic victory.

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

The minigames are top shelf stuff

Looks like we have an evening gaming session to get set up,then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BowserBasher said:

Looks like we have an evening gaming session to get set up,then. 

It'll be interesting to see how much input/general lag there is this time.

15 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Well, tomorrow at 8pm is when @S.C.G, @BowserBasher, and I will be taking a trip through the Pokémon Stadium 2 minigames.

We still have need of a fourth player. @RedShell, would you be up for that?

Possibly. Will join in if I can.

Although I’ve never actually played it before, so that’ll be… interesting. :heh:

1 minute ago, RedShell said:

Possibly. Will join in if I can.

Although I’ve never actually played it before, so that’ll be… interesting. :heh:

Think of it as a handful of Mario Party minigames you've never heard of.

Essentially the same thing, really.

8pm tonight it is then.

Well that was kind of fun, but the connection issues are really bad. At least for me. It became pretty much unplayable. :hmm: 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Well that was kind of fun, but the connection issues are really bad. At least for me. It became pretty much unplayable. :hmm: 

It started off relatively promising as well.

It did clear up once you left though. And I just want it to be known that @Dcubed is a dirty cheater who just guesses at quiz minigames!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the games. :smile:

Enjoy watching all the mini-games... not quite as you might remember them in the first half of the video...

...and then almost exactly as you remember them in the second half, complete with all the tactics and CPU player randomness.

Plus the quiz of "Just press anything!" or "Damn, I knew that one!" but not being quick enough, and sometimes "Wait... what?!?"

Here's a link to this week's stream... :peace:

- - - - -

custom-8aa0fed7-f3f7-43b8-94e0-c9c22e90e238-640x360.jpeg

Pokémon Stadium 2 on the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack - N-Europe Multiplayer (11/08/2023)

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Glen-i said:

It did clear up once you left though.

Yeah, I saw that in S.C.G's stream. Looks like the connection was a bit iffy again when DCubed joined though.
Does it just not handle 4 players very well, or is it another one of those cases where a wired connection is basically a requirement? :hmm:

I only ever use Ethernet on Switch when playing Smash Bros. really, so was on Wi-Fi last night, perhaps that was the problem. ::shrug: What connection type was everyone else using?

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Yeah, I saw that in S.C.G's stream. Looks like the connection was a bit iffy again when DCubed joined though.
Does it just not handle 4 players very well, or is it another one of those cases where a wired connection is basically a requirement? :hmm:

I only ever use Ethernet on Switch when playing Smash Bros. really, so was on Wi-Fi last night, perhaps that was the problem. ::shrug: What connection type was everyone else using?

Can really vary quite wildly.  Sometimes it ends up being flawless and sometimes it's lag central.  Kind of luck of the draw really.

I jumped in with WiFi.  I normally use Ethernet when we play N64 online, but I was only jumping in for a few mins so I couldn't be bothered to set up with Ethernet this time (Wasn't even gonna be able to join originally, as I was supposed to working a night shift at work originally but ended up having to call in sick).  Using Ethernet does help a bit, but our home connection can't usually handle 3 Switches trying to play N64 online at once. N64 NSO is just more demanding than most other Switch online games (which I guess makes sense since it's translating button presses over the internet in real-time for four players); so I would recommend sticking with Ethernet whenever possible when playing N64 games online.

The other NSO apps aren't as demanding as the N64 one though.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Can really vary quite wildly.  Sometimes it ends up being flawless and sometimes it's lag central.  Kind of luck of the draw really.

I jumped in with WiFi.  I normally use Ethernet when we play N64 online, but I was only jumping in for a few mins so I couldn't be bothered to set up with Ethernet this time (Wasn't even gonna be able to join originally, as I was supposed to working a night shift at work originally but ended up having to call in sick).  Using Ethernet does help a bit, but our home connection can't usually handle 3 Switches trying to play N64 online at once. N64 NSO is just more demanding than most other Switch online games (which I guess makes sense since it's translating button presses over the internet in real-time for four players).

The other NSO apps aren't as demanding as the N64 one.

I see. Yeah, I'm not a fan of setting up Ethernet either, as it means swapping the cable over from my PC to Switch, and I'm starting to notice that the connection on my PC can be a bit flaky after doing so. :blank: But yeah, next time I play the N64 app online I shall try to remember to use Ethernet.

Anyway, cheers for the info, and hope you feel better soon. :peace:

• Thanks 1

Yep, it varies wildly.

Check out this stream from just under a month ago, when @Josh64 and I decided to play some Wave Race 64 and Pokémon Puzzle League...

custom-2a70e80a-9f0d-4df2-ba48-165d0e4b52c4-640x360.jpeg

Wave Race 64 on the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack (+ Pokémon Puzzle League) - Multiplayer (14/07/2023)

Yeah... I had fun putting together the thumbnail for that one. :p

And in fairness, the connection may have improved since then, as one of us was on Ethernet, and the other on Wi-Fi which is always variable.

Apparently if you have your profile set to 'appear offline' on the Switch, that can have an effect on it? ::shrug:

Josh and I will probably play some other NSO games, or other Switch games soon to see how the connection holds up.

Though, it does seem to be even more variable with four players... and I'm sure there have been times when we've had four players, all on ehternet, but when two or three of those players are on the same internet connection, that's another variable in itself.

I will say though... @RedShell about the ethernet situation, have you considered using an ethernet hub? You can get them with 4 ports to 8 ports or more if required, and that might solve the issue of plugging and uplugging ethernet cables, I've been using a four or five port hub for a while, and am about to upgrade to an 8-port hub, as with the amount of wired consoles that are online and still functional, it's definitely required. (DC, GC, Xbox OG, Xbox One, Switch, PS5... (soon) plus a PC etc)

From the ethernet hub, that then goes to a wired home plug, which takes the signal through the electric wires, to another home plug next to the router, eliminating the need for unfeasibly long ethernet cables, though from time to time, they can need a reset or power cycle.

Those are my wired ethernet experiences for what they are worth. :peace:

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Check out this stream from just under a month ago, when @Josh64 and I decided to play some Wave Race 64 and Pokémon Puzzle League...

Oh wow. :o:laughing: 

I can’t stand the sound it makes when trying to catch up, it’s like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. :shakehead

24 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I will say though... @RedShell about the ethernet situation, have you considered using an ethernet hub?

Nope. Will definitely look into it now though, thanks for the suggestion. :) 

30 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I've been using a four or five port hub for a while, and am about to upgrade to an 8-port hub, as with the amount of wired consoles that are online and still functional, it's definitely required. (DC, GC, Xbox OG, Xbox One, Switch, PS5... (soon) plus a PC etc)

I always forget that the Dreamcast had online capabilities. Probably because I got mine many years later and never once used it online. :hehe: 
Anyway, that’s cool how you have all of those consoles connected at once, and are still making use of them too. :cool: 
Pretty much all of my retro systems are buried in a cupboard somewhere. :heh:

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, RedShell said:

I always forget that the Dreamcast had online capabilities. Probably because I got mine many years later and never once used it online.

The Switch's online capabilities are about the same as the Dreamcast's current online capabilities in fairness. 

• Haha 2

Excitebike 64 (finally!) arrives on the NSO N64 app on 30th August:

Rev up your Joy-Con controllers! Excitebike 64 jumps onto Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack!

How long has it been since you've carved a blaze of glory through a pack of dirt, slinging mud into the air as you pull off incredible stunts on a motocross bike? If the answer is "too long" you won't have to wait to experience these thrills again, because Excitebike" 64 game roars onto the Nintendo 64™ Nintendo Switch Online library on August 30th, available to play for everyone with a Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership!

It's been, what, nearly a year since this was announced? Still waiting on Mario Party 3 and 1080° Snowboarding...

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 2

excitebike64banner.620x0.webp

Excitebike 64 added to Nintendo Switch Online August 2023

Now up on the main page.

Overview and rad trailer. :D

- - - - -

Well, at least this means Mario Party 3 has to be the next N64 game. They wouldn't be stupid enough to release two similar style of game in short succession. That'd be ridiculous...

Oh crap, we're getting it last, aren't we?

I never played Excitebike 64 so at least it’s new to me. 
Ok is it just me that keeps seeing the box art for Mario Party and thinking it’s for Mario Party 3 because of the dice under the title. 

• Haha 2
  • Weird 1

4 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

I never played Excitebike 64 so at least it’s new to me. 
Ok is it just me that keeps seeing the box art for Mario Party and thinking it’s for Mario Party 3 because of the dice under the title. 

I keep doing the exact same thing!

I read a post elsewhere the other day about the remaining N64 NSO titles, so I remembered Mario Party 3 was amongst them when making my post, but decided to fact check through the wiki for N64 NSO releases just in case, and definitely had a moment of intense confusion seeing the positioning of the '3' in the Mario Party box art :laughing:

• Haha 2

Now give us a remaster of Excitebots: Trick Racing and release it in Europe this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2