N-Europe

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: N64 & SEGA Mega Drive (& GBA!!)

Julius

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

@BowserBasher The Carrington Institute Agent par time is utterly insane, it’s only just barely possible using normal strats! (Though speed runners seem to make it look easy somehow )

Those times are utterly insane. Though it seems most are using glitches. Like what the heck did they do to get the hostages all released when they didn’t even enter more than one room? I can’t work out the devastator usage.
I mean the first level in 5 seconds?! I know that’s the whole point of speedrun WR and I do find them impressive. I would like to see non glitchy ones. 

1 hour ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I'm having much fun with Fire Emblem, my first foray into the series. The rewind feature is being used a fair bit, but I did lose some people and let it slide.

Nice one. Yeah, the Fire Emblem on NSO is pretty good. Losing people and letting it slide is pretty heartless.

Think I got to a desert skirmish before moving on to a different game. Need to return to it. @Jonnas and @Ike explained a few things to me in this thread if you want to browse back to Feb/ March and have a look.

15 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Nice one. Yeah, the Fire Emblem on NSO is pretty good. Losing people and letting it slide is pretty heartless.

Think I got to a desert skirmish before moving on to a different game. Need to return to it. @Jonnas and @Ike explained a few things to me in this thread if you want to browse back to Feb/ March and have a look.

I didn't want to be a complete lil bitch and have everyone survive each time, I've gotta have some of the experience. Just being a lil lil bitch

28 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I didn't want to be a complete lil bitch and have everyone survive each time, I've gotta have some of the experience. Just being a lil lil bitch

First time I ever played it, I didn't finish the game with everybody alive, either. Allowing your mistakes to have consequences is part of what makes FE so memorable.

In fact, it can even be liberating to cease the perfectionism, and allow someone to stay dead by the end of a chapter.

This might say something about human nature...

Perfect Agent complete (with the help of save states) though I didn't really need them for the final boss fight. I died once and reloaded but that was all. 

Right, so on that last level there is a trick to getting double Phoenix guns. However I've always heard from the N64 days (and @Dcubed) that there is one pillar that you can't blow up yourself, and if it isn't one of the "target amplifier" ones then you just can't get them. Well, I thought I'd try it out, and Boom, it blew it up. Next go round I tried again and it didn't. So experiment time.

From what I can tell you have to aim higher than the thick base at the bottom, (just ignore that second shot, no idea what happened there)I don't know what the threshold is, but it definitely can now be destroyed with the Devastator gun.

And those Double Phoenix really do make that final boss a piece of cake, even on Perfect Agent.

Onto Perfect Agent for the three secret missions, and then getting the cheats so I can just mess around with unlimited ammo and invincibility. 

Absolutely stunning game still to this day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BowserBasher said:

From what I can tell you have to aim higher than the thick base at the bottom, (just ignore that second shot, no idea what happened there) I don't know what the threshold is, but it definitely can now be destroyed with the Devastator gun.

The second grenade exploded before it reached the pillar because it was in the area of effect still in play from the previous explosion created by the first grenade. :peace: You can see this if you rewatch your clip closely.

Thanks for the confirmation that this worked in the NSO version though, from what I can remember, you could destroy the pillar, but I'd forgotten about it until seeing the clip.

I only played through a few of the single-player missions when the game first came out on NSO, and then I just loaded it up whenever we were all playing multiplayer, but I do intend to play some more single-player Perfect Dark.

It's a fantastic game, and I recommend it at any chance that I get, especially when anyone starts a conversation about N64 games down at the shop, because having access to Perfect Dark and all those N64 games, plus other titles with the NSO + Expansion Pack is a real selling point for the Switch.

• Thanks 2

custom-9d1d906b-3803-4557-817c-8b73b772142f-640x360.jpeg

Perfect Dark on the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack - N-Europe Multiplayer (26/07/2024)

Thanks for the games. :peace:

Words of the evening... "Proximity PInball!" "Combat boost?" and "Oh, Timed mines... here, catch!"
Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team arrives on the service on 9th August:

Well that's...certainly something.

First GBA Pokémon game to make it onto NSO already has a remake available on the system, so I feel like it's a bit of an awkward one. Slim pickings on the GBA for the franchise when it comes to Pokémon spin-offs, sure - and by slim I mean literally just the two games, because it's this and Pinball Ruby & Sapphire - but I'm surprised they didn't just drop Pinball R&S alongside this. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Over to @Glen-i our resident series expert. ;)

*Sharp inhale*
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!

Now that that's out of my system.

I'm legit surprised this is the first Pokémon game GBA NSO is getting, because well, it's got an (amazing) remake on Switch already.

But if it means el cheapos out there get to play it, that's fine by me. It's by no means the best PMD game, but it's still good, and it's got a better plot then pretty much every mainline Pokémon game (@Hero-of-Time can back me up on that).

Word of advice. Cubone is the best starter Pokémon, try and game the personality quiz if you want to be all-powerful. It learns Bonemerang, which is utterly busted in Mystery Dungeon.
And if you don't want Cubone, then for the love of unexepected Lucario cameo, don't pick a Normal type like Eevee or Skitty! And if you die, but don't want to lose your items, ask for a rescue. I'll do so anytime, don't even need to be online for it!

Oh, and don't mess with the Kecleons, because the Kecleons do not play nice.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Four Swords is the kind of game that can easily make everyone playing look completely idiotic.

Hey it’s not easy to place an item when you’re looking around to make sure nobody (@Dcubed) is gonna come up and knock it off you. Plus buttons are hard and it’s not intuitive to not press A to place something when that throws instead. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Hey it’s not easy to place an item when you’re looking around to make sure nobody (@Dcubed) is gonna come up and knock it off you. Plus buttons are hard and it’s not intuitive to not press A to place something when that throws instead. 

That's the beautiful thing about it. The environment of Four Swords is so volatile, and pressurising, that everyone will inevitably do something completely dumb!

Well... Sadly, that's one game I already know I don't like. I remember being really excited to play it back in the day, but the gameplay just doesn't fit with me.

Still, very happy to see more Pokémon spinoffs on the service :)

Always felt so weird to me that the GBA got so few Pokemon spinoff games (just two, granted both of them are absolute bangers and both better than the actual original mainline R/S/E game that the console received; but still!).  Such a huge missed opportunity…

… but especially a massive missed opportunity that we never got a GBA Pokemon TCG RPG game with e-reader support… The damn real-life Pokémon TCG even got e-reader support! And it was squandered on Pokédex entries and a couple of minigames.  Absolute lunacy of the highest order! A proper GBA PMKN TCG with e-reader support would’ve been an easy 10+ million seller; and the pieces were already there to make it happen! It just… never did.  So stupid.

Edited by Dcubed

GT_MUI2XsAA--2v?format=jpg&name=medium

Right, this has easily been the hardest one to get for me so far, yes, harder then the Institute one. I actually gave up on this last week whilst I was trying to do it as I just couldn't get anywhere near the time. I was always around 3:30. Just couldn't figure out how to trim it down as there just not a lot of time saving. After a break I started on it again. Made sure to get the first two Snipers in 5 seconds. good start, Savestate lol. Down the cave and grab an automatic from one of the guys and take out first sniper. Now had to be the time saver part. The Snipers. I had done this a few times where I thought it was good enough but I was then running up the steps to the villa, taking out the last two snipers and the timing was about 1:30 already. It just wasn't quick enough with all you had to then do. So after many reloads and finally getting a good aim at the snipers, I had it down to just over 1:15 when entering the villa which I thought should be enough from the times I was getting.

Next bottle neck was the activating the windmill. So many times I'd get to the consoles and they just wouldn't activate when I pressed B, you need to be just right to get them. So many more reloads of the save state (a new one from just inside the villa ) and I'd done the best I could. Down the stairs, kill the three guys at the bottom and save state. I think the best I was at was around 2:11ish maybe a tad faster. But Since there's only the wine cellar left I thought it must be enough time. Well about 100 tries later (after getting it from 2:50 down to 2:34) I had the best run I could where I got the main guards in the head or blasted their chests enough where I didn't have to stop moving. Got the key and in the room not knowing the time. Finally did it though. That was such a pain in the arse and was easily harder then that 1:45 Institute one.

Anyway, that just leaves 1 buddy cheat to unlock. DataDyne Investigation. The second level in the game on Perfect Agent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BowserBasher said:

GT_MUI2XsAA--2v?format=jpg&name=medium

Right, this has easily been the hardest one to get for me so far, yes, harder then the Institute one. I actually gave up on this last week whilst I was trying to do it as I just couldn't get anywhere near the time. I was always around 3:30. Just couldn't figure out how to trim it down as there just not a lot of time saving. After a break I started on it again. Made sure to get the first two Snipers in 5 seconds. good start, Savestate lol. Down the cave and grab an automatic from one of the guys and take out first sniper. Now had to be the time saver part. The Snipers. I had done this a few times where I thought it was good enough but I was then running up the steps to the villa, taking out the last two snipers and the timing was about 1:30 already. It just wasn't quick enough with all you had to then do. So after many reloads and finally getting a good aim at the snipers, I had it down to just over 1:15 when entering the villa which I thought should be enough from the times I was getting.

Next bottle neck was the activating the windmill. So many times I'd get to the consoles and they just wouldn't activate when I pressed B, you need to be just right to get them. So many more reloads of the save state (a new one from just inside the villa ) and I'd done the best I could. Down the stairs, kill the three guys at the bottom and save state. I think the best I was at was around 2:11ish maybe a tad faster. But Since there's only the wine cellar left I thought it must be enough time. Well about 100 tries later (after getting it from 2:50 down to 2:34) I had the best run I could where I got the main guards in the head or blasted their chests enough where I didn't have to stop moving. Got the key and in the room not knowing the time. Finally did it though. That was such a pain in the arse and was easily harder then that 1:45 Institute one.

Anyway, that just leaves 1 buddy cheat to unlock. DataDyne Investigation. The second level in the game on Perfect Agent. 

Yeah, Carrington Villa SA cheat is rough, dunno how the hell I managed to pull it off.

Another rough one is the par time for the Air Base SA cheat… that is until I watched a speedrun and found out that there’s actually a secret shortcut that skips the laser section altogether!

This one blew my mind.  Had no idea that you could just go back into the lift and be taken straight to the Air Force One entrance! :o

Also, that trick of using the DrugSpy to block the lift door is genius!  You save a good 10-15 seconds from that little trick alone!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

This one blew my mind.  Had no idea that you could just go back into the lift and be taken straight to the Air Force One entrance! :o

Also, that trick of using the DrugSpy to block the lift door is genius!  You save a good 10-15 seconds from that little trick alone!

I knew about the DrugSpy trick and did use that when I did that one. Didn’t know about the lift being there. I know when I played on agent a managed to get the lift from the very bottom where the lasers are and went up to get into the plane. 
I didn’t have too much trouble with that one to get the cheat. 

Just enjoying using Perfect Dark mode now, setting enemy health to the max, unlimited ammo cheat and just holding down the fire button. Aim for the head and watch the jerking back and forth when you spray them with the Cyclone on Empty Clip mode. 

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Right, Mario Party is go! Which one? That's for me to know and you to find out at the last minute!

@S.C.G, and @BowserBasher, you in for 8:30?

MP3? If it’s 1 then you’re a sicko:shakehead , at least I could win on 3 :laughing: