NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2020-21

7 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Alright people, where are you on the Euros obsession scale? Just watching your country, watching all the big games, catching every game you can?

Which games am I watching?

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

I'll be watching every game (where my schedule allows) and I'm really looking forward to the tournament. It will be my first chance to support a Scotland men's team at a major tournament so I'm obviously super hyped for Monday's clash with the Czech Republic - a win for us would be massive for our hopes of progressing. I am half English so I will of course be supporting England too (when they're not playing Scotland at least!)

Are we going to have a dedicated Euros thread?

Really impressed by Italy in the transition, especially into defensive - not giving Turkey anything. Turkey holding strong in the low block though. 

Italy have been really impressive, that third goal was fantastic, but Turkey haven't helped matters by being so negative. They haven't been pressing Italy much at all, just sitting back and waiting for crosses into their penalty area - as soon as Italy broke through it looked bleak for Turkey. 

Good opening match. Italy were by far the better team, with Turkey just kinda sitting back the whole game.

Yeah, agree with everyone else: Italy look very strong all over, Mancini has done a fantastic job in turning the ship around these last few years and rebuilding. Spinazzola was all over the place, scary to think how someone clearly that motivated might do under Mou next season. 

Blew my mind that Italy never scored more than 2 goals in a European Championship game before. I can't remember anyone mentioning this at the last few Euro's (but maybe I'm forgetting?), so obviously the first time I hear about that it gets swiped aside and they manage it. 

While Turkey didn't put up much of a fight or really get going, I think they've done the other teams that come across Italy a bit of a favour, as it looks like their fullbacks pushing up (especially when Chiellini chooses to wander around) leaves them very susceptible on the flanks, as Burak Yilmaz made clear twice in the first half. Turkey couldn't take advantage of it, but if Italy come across a team with some pacy wingers later in the tournament, I think they could be in trouble. 

Belgium vs Russia was the match I wanted to check out tomorrow, but it's at the same time as Ubisoft Forward which is followed by Devolver Digital, so I might substitute Wales vs Switzerland in instead. 

Also the fact that they haven't rebranded to Euro 2021 is beyond silly in my eyes, feel like that's going to cause a hell of a lot of confusion in trivia quizzes some twenty-odd years from now! 

Oooh Italy look good don’t they. Look for as well, which will be more important than ever this tournament.

Switzerland sat back too early. Shutting up shop with 20 minutes to go is asking for a cheeky leveller. I took the draw so hoping they hold out.

Very worrying scenes in Copenhagen, the BBC should just cut away to the studio - it's very upsetting to watch. 

Really hope Christian Eriksen can pull through. This is heartbreaking. 

Football doesn't matter any more, just hope he can recover. 

It's been distressing enough watching it on TV, can't imagine what all the Danish fans are feeling having to stand by and watch from the stands.

What's the matter?

Edit:

Googled some news. Is it clear what the cause was?

Edited by Sméagol

2 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

What's the matter?

Christian Eriksen collapsed on the pitch as he received the ball from a throw-in, received CPR and likely a defib. 

Very distressing. I wasn't watching the match as it happened but just caught a clip of it; fair play to the ref for reacting so quickly, that could end up making all the difference, and I have a lot of respect for his teammates forming a wall around him so that the cameras couldn't pick as much up as they were. Unfortunately some worrying shots did get through before that, and I agree with @killthenet, it looks like they should've cut away a bit sooner than they did. 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

There is a picture circulating on social media of him being carried off on a stretcher, looking distraught but conscious so hopefully he'll be okay. 

Won't believe it fully until it's officially announced though but it seems like a good sign

EDIT: @Hero-of-Time posted it above, fingers crossed it's genuine

Edited by killthenet

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just seen this on Era 

Fingers crossed...

There;'s a lot of false info going around, apparently that screenshot is from a Spurs game a few weeks ago.

Still, hope he's alright.

EDIT: Nope, this is a real image.

Edited by Aperson
False info

"Has been stabilised" is good news, right? I'm not great with medical expressions in English...

• Like 1

Brilliant news. Hope everything goes smoothly and pray he makes the best recovery one can in these situations.

Really puts things into perspective. I think back to when I was in highschool and when Fabrice Muamba collapsed. It was a stark reminder then - as it is now - of just how precious our time is here, however brief it is. 

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

"Has been stabilised" is good news, right? I'm not great with medical expressions in English...

Yeah, good news :smile:

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

Thank god, I was worried for a while there that I’d seen a young man die. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Got to say, I feel Finland are very unlucky here too. First major international tournament and in the first game this happens.

Sign in to follow this