Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2020-21

I'm pretty sure he'll get another job very soon, whether that be at Celtic or back in the Championship, he won't be out of a job for long

3 hours ago, killthenet said:

I'm pretty sure he'll get another job very soon, whether that be at Celtic or back in the Championship, he won't be out of a job for long

I see what you’re thinking there, sneaky. If only we could get Scholes the managerial job at Hibernian. 

Those VAR decisions were hard on Southampton, on the balance of play Villa didn't really deserve to win that but we've had enough bad luck this season that I'm not going to complain that it finally turned in our favour. 

Terrific goal though, the cross from Grealish was incredible but Barkley did really well with the header. 

I didn't think this season could get any worse but... it has!

What was that deadline day? In the last few days our best midfielder Matt Smith has been recalled from loan to Arsenal. Fair enough, we have quite a few loans now in an attempt to fix the defence but that should NOT come at the expense of the midfield and unfortunately we've now lost our best central midfielder.

As if that wasn't enough we've replaced him with Christopher Missilou. A player who has only ever played in League Two in this country and a player who struggled to get into the Northampton team. Then to add to everything else we signed Jordan Garrick on loan from Swansea, which is nice but what's this? Kieron Freeman has joined Swansea as part of the loan deal? What? The cost of getting Garrick on loan was to just give away Kieron Freeman. You know what's even crazier? Freeman ONLY JOINED THE CLUB IN JANUARY! Yes, you read that right.

OK, that's not all, Diallang Jaiyesimi was sold to Charton. So that's our other best player now gone. Conveniently enough transfer deadline day is coinciding with a court case that the owner Lee Power is having to attend over the club's ownership. He wants to sell the club but has been challenged by investors over whether he actually owns the club entirely and if they win, they would have to consult him over the sale.

It's such a farce. This club is a sinking ship and all this happened right before a massive relegation six pointer against Wigan who've been almost just as bad in the league as us this season. We should never have appointed John Sheridan and Lee Power clearly doesn't care what happens to us anymore. He's been in charge for 7 years and managed to give the club at least some form of stability as well as make progress on the training ground but its come at the expense of Swindon constantly slipping in standards from being a club that was midtable in League One to one that is struggling to even stay in League One before it slips straight back into League Two. Who knows? Conference if things get worse.

Sheridan Out. Power Out.

That 9-0 game was insane. It was like every time we went forward, we scored. So many different scorers, too. The tackle by their man to earn the first red card was dangerous and he definitely needed to go. It could have ended up being a really, really hard game where Southampton could have just sat back and made it horrible for us, but they were too open. Unfortunately, I think they were very naive with the way that they were trying to play with 10 men. Admirable, but more than a bit reckless. I thought we played very well and McTominay had a stellar game, as did Luke Shaw, who is suddenly starting to look like one of the best left backs in the league at the moment. Quality player. This is the player we thought we had signed.

The refereeing in the game was annoying as fuck. We should've had a penalty in the first half, but that was called a freekick when it looked like it was right on the line of the box. Southampton had a good goal disallowed for...some reason. I did think it was a foul on Martial for the penalty but the red card for that was stupid. To top it all though, this is the only game that I've ever seen in my lifetime where the amount of goals scored in one half is greater than the number of minutes of added on time. 3 minutes for a half that continued 5 goals, a sending off, a huge and length VAR call for their disallowed goal, another huge delay for our penalty and their red card, and just general time spent in between goals. We could have broken a few records last night as we surely would've scored more had we had another few more minutes. :laughing:

Overall, insane game. I loved it. Harsh on Southampton, who I do like and Hassenhuttl is a quality manager. But, we needed a big performance and we got it, so it's just unfortunate they were on the other end.

• Like 1

Yeah don't think we can learn too much from the 9-0 unfortunately, but you got to take those gimmes when they're presented to you. Everton game very important now to show Sheffield U and Arsena were just blips.

Also I think Mike Dean generally gets too much stick, but that was one of the worst refereeing performances I've ever seen. 

Merseyside derby was quite interesting. Thought Everton were entirely comfortable and Liverpool never really looked like scoring. You could argue that the penalty was slightly harsh, but I don't think it made too much of a difference to the flow of the game. Liverpool had more of the ball but did nothing with it, whereas Everton always had an "out" option with Calvert-Lewin up top. What a player he's turned out to be.

On other day, I think Liverpool would have made their possession count, but they just can't make it happen around the box. It just highlights how big a problem it is relying on two players (Salah and Mane) to get virtually of the goals. That midfield need to start contributing more.

Posted (edited)

I see Germany's Head Coach has announced he will be leaving after the Euros. I wonder if Klopp will take up the job and use this as an excuse to leave Liverpool. Personally I would prefer him to stay but who knows what will happen given our current form.

Edited by Happenstance

Klopp as Germany's Head Coach?

Sign me up.

Well it puts him in as strong a position as he'll ever get - give me the money to rebuild or I'm off.

I can't see Liverpool and Klopp splitting after this year. They are the perfect match for each other.

As tough as this year has been results wise, I honestly think that all the team needs is a mental break (i.e. a proper off-season) and for key players to return. Clear out the likes Origi and Shaqiri / Ox and get a couple of additional players in and before you know it, they'll be back to winning ways.

6 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

I can't see Liverpool and Klopp splitting after this year. They are the perfect match for each other.

As tough as this year has been results wise, I honestly think that all the team needs is a mental break (i.e. a proper off-season) and for key players to return. Clear out the likes Origi and Shaqiri / Ox and get a couple of additional players in and before you know it, they'll be back to winning ways.

That's definitely my hope.

Sign in to follow this