Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Returnal (30th April 2021)

JpeFRJf.jpg

I beat the game last night. I was seriously considering going for the secret ending, but apparently, because I didn't do enough runs, I'd have to replay the second half of the game before I could even begin working towards it. It already seemed like too much work before that... I can't be bothered right now. Maybe later.

It was a really fun game, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like the most recent patch destroyed save data :(
I played it for a few minutes with the patch installed, deleted the game and am now re-downloading it as per Housemarque's suggestion (they pulled the patch and reverted to an earlier version).

Will see after work if my save data survived. If not, no biggie. I'll gladly start from scratch (which you kind of have to do anyways after each run) :D

Still, not a great situation for both people who wanna play and Housemarque. But hey, they're working to get it resolved and the game is great, so...patience, my friends :D

Yeah, read about that yesterday evening. Very harsh for those who have lost their progress.

The lack of a save feature seems to be a big sticking point for people, especially with those who don't have the luxury to sit for long gaming sessions or like to jump between different games. Housemarque said they are looking into a solution for it but at the moment the lack of such a feature seems to upset a lot of players.

• Like 1

Yeah, read about that yesterday evening. Very harsh for those who have lost their progress.
The lack of a save feature seems to be a big sticking point for people, especially with those who don't have the luxury to sit for long gaming sessions or like to jump between different games. Housemarque said they are looking into a solution for it but at the moment the lack of such a feature seems to upset a lot of players.
Yeah, to be honest I am a bit disappointed to hear this. I feel that if £70 is going to become the new normal then games need to be launching in a more stable and feature complete state. This situation is making me even more convinced to wait before buying most new games these days.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was going to wait on this game once it became apparent it was a bit longer than what I was looking for, and I'm kind of glad I did having heard of this and the update issues. 

A simple quick save which erases itself after opening the game back up would be ideal I think, it keeps the core of the game, but doesn't force you to stick with it until there's a point where you can save.

Feel like From Software should probably consider doing something similar to that with Elden Ring, if that game is as open as calling it open world would seem to suggest? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

As someone who had the luxury to put in a ridiculous amount of time into Returnal during launch weekend I can say: I understand what Housemarque were going for with the save situation.

I'm not going to spoil anything regarding the story, but only having "one" life for what can sometimes be a 2-3 hour run adds to the narrative. There's a certain amount of stress and fear that builds up over the course of a run, especially as the fights get more and more intense. And it just works with what the story is going for.
This would be a lot less prevalent when you have the option to save-scum (via backups) by adding mid-run saves. Obviously, you don't have to do it, but even if it was possible, a lot of what makes Returnal so great would lose its impact.

I do, however, also get the criticism. Not everyone can put in so many hours in one session, not everyone wants to just play one game for a while (which is my problem right now), not everyone enjoys the difficulty the game can sometimes throw at you during a long-lasting run.

As always: an option would've been nice. And, as Housemarque stated, the devs are aware of the community's concerns. I'm pretty sure we'll see a save-feature soon.

Sadly, Returnal's launch period has been marred by a few pretty bad issues and I fear that the talk will keep on going well after fixes have been made. Really hope that won't be the case, though, as the game is utterly brilliant and deserves success.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, drahkon said:

not everyone wants to just play one game for a while (which is my problem right now)

And yet, I was craving a run just now. Well, "just now" was 2 hours ago :laughing:

Made some progress to the "more story bits" part of the game, but sadly I didn't find something in the final area. :( No biggy, because I will gladly do it again :D

My playtime is now at 24 hours and I'm still not bored.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Say what you want about the bugs, crashes and issues, you can't deny that Housemarque has been quick to work on patches this past week :peace:

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

Played this again last night.

There's one sequence leading up to a certain boss...one of the greatest moments in video game history.
Occasionally I will skip bosses/areas but never this one. It's a shame I can't say more about it, because it would spoil...well, everything.

I can say this, though: The boss and the lead-up to it are perfect. Housemarque's first foray into AAA story-telling is nothing short of amazing. And they managed to couple it with some of the most - for lack of a better word - video-gamey gameplay. :bowdown:

Kinda sad, that the boss' theme isn't part of the OST :(

Anyways, still have to unlock ... more ... to fully grasp the world, characters and lore. I love this game :D

• Like 1

You all know that I'm the most skilled player that has ever graced this wonderful planet. I mean, there is absolutely no chance that anyone will ever surpass me. My awareness, my reflexes, my eye-hand coordination...impeccable.

Spoiler

:cool:

• Haha 2

A few spoilers in there, but it's not too bad. Cool trailer :D

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2021 at 10:34 PM, drahkon said:

sadly I didn't find something in the final area. :( No biggy, because I will gladly do it again :D

4da.png

And I did. And I found that something.

Now I'm halfway done with the "more story bits" part.
26 hours in. Can't get enough :peace:

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 1

I really want to play this, but I'm no Sony man :( I hope this is included in the "We're bringing more games to PC"-plan Sony is going for these days, as everything I've heard about the game is phenomenal! Here's hoping.

Sign in to follow this