NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Odwin

Moral dilemma

Say you order a new game from an online shop via credit/debit card. Then about an hour later you find a better deal that includes a game of your choice (from a budget range) for free. You call the first shop, ask them if it's too late to cancel, they say its fine, so you cancel the order. All fine so far.

Two days later, the game arrives at your door from the first shop; the one that you cancelled with. The receipt in the box even states "Customer Canceled Order". All charges, shipping, tax, anything money related all has £0.00 next to it.

What do you do?

you.... keep it.....

and sell one copy to one of your best friends full price. Note that it has to be one of your best friends, so the guilt will eventually crush you.

but seriously, they screwed up, that's life. I learned, that if life gives you opportunities or whatever, you should take 'em. Sell the game and make some extra cash and buy something with it.

Give it back. Your refusal to inform the original store of their computer error is stealing! Remember - it's still robbery even if the victim is a major corperation.

Sounds like a good deal to me. One time i ordered a 1.4ghz Duron from ebuyer... they sent me a 3200+ Athlon XP at nearly 3 times what i had paied for. I wasn't complaining...

Depends on the store. If its a local independant one that perhaps send it back. If its a big one - keep it or give it to a friend/reletive.

Keep it. You've done nothing wrong, you've accepted a kind gift from a store that made a clanger.

Technically its just fallen through your letter box. So take it, its yours!

1) Make sure they didnt charge you. Check your account.

2) sell it and make money.

Keep it.

I ordered a DVD once and when it arrived there were 2 inside the packaging, instead of sending one back i sold it.

Companies allow for losses, especially as we cant trust the royal mail, but do what you feel is best and wont bother you.

It's their error, if they ask for it back, might as well concede. But if they don't, pass it on. What is it? I could purchase.

They're probably going to charge you for it eventually, unless you're very fortunate. I can understand your moral dilemma though, better than the rest of these VAGRANTS (especially Bowser) but I'd be a hypocrite to say to inform them as I only a few days ago was undercharged for something and said nothing.

I'm a terrible, terrible person.

To quote one episode of coupling: "it could be a trap!"

It seems like they made a mistake. I say hang onto it for a week or so, and if they haven't taken the money out of your account or asked for it back by then, feel free to do as you please. :P

if it was something much more expensive you would know immediatly that they had to be told, so just because it is less expensive doesn't really change the situation. sorry

I'd send it back.

Actually, that isn't quite true. I'd intend to send it back but end up forgetting about it until several weeks later by which time I would have bypassed any sense of guilt. Sorted.

Seeing as it says on the receipt it costs £0.00 you should keep it. You can even show them the receipt saying that if they ask. Make sure you cover up the part that says order cancelled though. :)

Call it karma, if you haven´t done anything good to deserve the free game be prepared to be run over by a car :p

Here's a little strory for you. Once there was a boy, who visited a big department store on a field trip. He bought an RC car. But after the purchase he found out that he was given way too much money back. He then went to the cashier to explain the problem and thanks to his honesty. He was given the RC car for free and a gift token for the shop.

So you might get something out of it if the shop keeper is a reasonable man. If not, you'll get the feeling that you made something right.

But I'll leave the choice to you. Do what you think is best :)

meh, major retailers don't employ people to chase down rogue computer games across the land. just keep it, you may as well.

Shoot the hostage!

LMAO funniest thing i've seen all day.

I've had the same problem but I sent it back as they still charged me. If you don't need the money through selling it someone else you may as well send it back.

Sign in to follow this