Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

New NOM

Metroid Dread is a pseudo 2D/3D game for DS, a platformer shooter like the originals, but with 3D backgrounds/models. Like Smash Bros or Clockwork Knights for Saturn (loved that game). The new mag as a whole is awesome. Lovin every bit of it, I'll stick the Miyamoto decal on the DS Lite when I get it.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That nintendo's official magazine are using a free to use forum service.

Can you blame them? Its not like Nintendo are going to front for a better forum than their owns, and would you rather have vBulletin or a good mag and fun freebies?

May pick this up at some point, next time I fancy a coffee I suppose.

Well I have to say I'm extremely impressed with the new ONM. Of course, it doesn't compare to the glory days of N64/NGC, but then what does? I'll be buying this from now on me thinks.

Whilst we're on the subject of the ONM forums, I've just been on there and a number of people have complained saying that the new mag is not as funny as the old NOM. One person even rated the two magazines and gave NOM '10000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' out of 10 for humour... Really, some peoples' stupidity never fails to amaze me.

Edit:

Ok people, choice quote from the ONM forums. When asked what he wanted to see in future issues, the one known as 'Guest' responded with this:

the old nom boys writing the mag...

i mean urs is alright but wheres the charm and the humor,

the magazine is as bland as a plucked chicken and it is obviously aimed at an older audience

p.s ever heard of a colour printer?

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Aw, OK I'll stop picking on them now.

I really like the look of the new magazine - it's very classy now. From what I've read so far, the writing does seem a bit better than in NOM (I haven't encountered any fart jokes yet, I mean), and the lay out is impressive. Only a few complaints, namely some of the pictures are a bit too big, and don't leave much room for text, and there wasn't really that much new information in the mag. A lot of it was basically, 'here's a six-page features telling you stuff you already know'. I hope they keep their promise of new Zelda screens and info for the next issue - I don't just want more pictures from the demo.

I got the mag today and subscribing to get pikmin 2!!! I dont know whether I love it or hate it :s I mean its not as funny as NOM but its much more mature. And I liked the free gift! (Ive got the mario kart stricker on my pimped ds). I dont really like the layout but I suppose i'll have to get used to it. Im crossing my fingers for you ONM!

never came out today over here :nono: and eason's came out with the worst peace of garbage i've ever heard when i showed the advert for the mag in edge she said: "that date isn't the release date but the day they print it." eh?! lol! i'm glad to hear it has come out though, so hopefully get it tomorrow or this weekend, not fair we have to wait though!! we never do with any other magazines!

and i read the ad for it on nintendo's site (it's one of the "images" in the story about it) and am i right when i read that the cover is a collector's edition cover and so we won't be getting an edge-type cover every month? :(

The magazine is much better then I had expected. I don't mind the cover so much anymore either, in fact, it's already grown on me. Also, the wallet is much better then the packaging in the old one.

The letters section needs a bit of a clean up really, and I don't think they give out prizes anymore =(. I haven't read many of the letters yet though.

They're promising new Zelda screens and details next month. We'll have to pick it up.

The magazine could use a bit of humour to be honest. Also, I hope they don't continue to give out DVDs from next month on, then I'll be disappointed.

never came out today over here and eason's came out with the worst peace of garbage i've ever heard when i showed the advert for the mag in edge she said: "that date isn't the release date but the day they print it." eh?! lol! i'm glad to hear it has come out though, so hopefully get it tomorrow or this weekend, not fair we have to wait though!! we never do with any other magazines!

Wait, that's weird. I went into the Newsagents, saw it sitting right there. My Newsagents is supplied by Easons too, why would Eason not supply other stores? =/

What did they say about Metroid Dread?

Like 'booker said, nothing but on their release dates page it was under 2006, TBC.

Can you blame them? Its not like Nintendo are going to front for a better forum than their owns, and would you rather have vBulletin or a good mag and fun freebies?

The forums are still better than NoE, anything's better than those. I'd jsut be expecting them to be using a better mone. Like these.

I just had to put the Miyamoto sig on my ds, I'd like an mph decal, a tetris one, and a meteos one. i reckon they'd look good.

I got the mag and I'm pretty impressed. It looks much more professional than the old NOM. I havent bought the official Nintendo magazine regularly for years but I'm going to get the new one as long as it doesnt go down the old road that the old official Nintendo magazine went.

put it this way, ive not read it yet, but from flicking through, its like a cross between the nom and edge.

i like the front cover, very fancy.

if it hasnt been mentioned, look for NEW (or so they say) zelda screenshots. this means we WILL (if they say so) get some new zelda screens within 4 weeks, i doubt nom will get them first.

I've got the new magazine and it's good (longer than the old one that took a minute to read) and it's got some cool features in it.

However it just seems to be one big advertising scheme for Nintendo. The over the top 'bigging up' of the DS is surely just to boost sales of the console (having attracted new people by the new magazine)

Also in pretty much every review they mention a a Nintendo game and how much better that is than the game being reviewed. e.g. Viewtiful Joe < Smash Bros, Rub Rabbits < Wario Ware, (think it was Worms) < Nintendogs!

Whilst its a good read it is full of bias and blatant advertising and is quite annoying because of it.

they printed about 57000 didnt they? thats quite poor when you think the cube market used to be over 100,000 mags 2 years ago. ngc gets a relaunch in a few months too.

so if there are all these ds/gba around, why does xbox get a bigger selling mag than a nintendo one?

Well I have to say I'm extremely impressed with the new ONM. Of course, it doesn't compare to the glory days of N64/NGC, but then what does? I'll be buying this from now on me thinks.

Whilst we're on the subject of the ONM forums, I've just been on there and a number of people have complained saying that the new mag is not as funny as the old NOM. One person even rated the two magazines and gave NOM '10000000000000000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' out of 10 for humour... Really, some peoples' stupidity never fails to amaze me.

Have I missed anything, when was the old NOM funny. I always saw NGC and CUBE as the funny mags and NOM just being there.

Anyway, I got it yesterday and I'm quite impressed with it's mature look, and it's got a lot of decent info. The free decals are okay but I'm not sure whether to put any of them on.

I've got the new magazine and it's good (longer than the old one that took a minute to read) and it's got some cool features in it.

However it just seems to be one big advertising scheme for Nintendo. The over the top 'bigging up' of the DS is surely just to boost sales of the console (having attracted new people by the new magazine)

Also in pretty much every review they mention a a Nintendo game and how much better that is than the game being reviewed. e.g. Viewtiful Joe < Smash Bros, Rub Rabbits < Wario Ware, (think it was Worms) < Nintendogs!

Whilst its a good read it is full of bias and blatant advertising and is quite annoying because of it.

expect that from all single format magazines

Picked it up yesterday. I suppose it is better than the old NOM, little bit less kiddie orientated etc, it's still not what I would've liked, so Pikmin 2 or no, I won't be subscribing. Having not read an official mag for many years, like Ninty above I was quite shocked by the blatant Nintendo propaganda. Of course, I should have expected no less, but as I say it was a bit of a culture shock. It's quite po-faced too, without anywhere near the sense of fun that NGC has, which they manage to couple with good quality writing. The only thing that lets NGC down is a lack of anything in the way of features, which of course ONM trumps straightaway.

So, in summation, for me it's a let down. I'll certainly keep an eye on it though, if nothing else for the potential exclusives.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!