NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie

Luigi's Mansion 3 (2019)

I'm curious about that as well. The first game was really short but I don't think this will be as short as that.

The first one was about 4-5 hours long but the second one was about 10-15 hours long. I imagine it will be closer to the second game. 

Yeah I'd say 15 hours or so probably. There are 17 floors which seem to act like oversized levels from Dark Moon, each with their own boss at the end (I could be wrong about that last bit).

I'd guess that it would be more like the second game in terms of length.  The level-based structure of the hotel lends itself well to a longer game length anyway.

Couple of comments from Gamexplain to maybe temper people's expectations. 

- They'd only played till half way, but the game was apparently very level based, at least until that point. No backtracking, each floor of the hotel acting separately (though you can go back and find missing collectibles). 

- This is something that jumped out at me during E3, the combat isn't particularly challenging thanks to the OP slam move. Again, at least until half way. Bosses are great though. 

I'm still debating if I want to get this at launch or not. I enjoyed the first game but wasn't a big fan of the second. I think I'll probably enjoy this one given what I've seen, it's just do I want to spend that money on it now or wait until I can maybe get a discount and get something else now.

• Like 1

I’m almost certainly cancelling my pre-order. While it looks fun, it doesn’t look like an essential day one purchase from the previews I’ve seen. Perhaps I can have a Spooky Christmas Day if Santa wants to get it for me this year. Multiplayer looks unimpressive and kind of lame imo.

Edited by Tim B

22 hours ago, Tim B said:

I’m almost certainly cancelling my pre-order. While it looks fun, it doesn’t look like an essential day one purchase from the previews I’ve seen. Perhaps I can have a Spooky Christmas Day if Santa wants to get it for me this year. Multiplayer looks unimpressive and kind of lame imo.

Did you not play Luigi's Mansion 2 in multiplayer? It was great fun. Given the state of some of the rough online experiences in certain 1st party Switch games, it will be interesting to see how this fares.

On 10/23/2019 at 10:56 AM, Ronnie said:

Couple of comments from Gamexplain to maybe temper people's expectations. 

- They'd only played till half way, but the game was apparently very level based, at least until that point. No backtracking, each floor of the hotel acting separately (though you can go back and find missing collectibles). 

- This is something that jumped out at me during E3, the combat isn't particularly challenging thanks to the OP slam move. Again, at least until half way. Bosses are great though. 

I have no idea where they got those impressions from because they're both completely wrong...

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I have no idea where they got those impressions from because they're both completely wrong...

Oh so you solve puzzles between floors then, backtracking etc? That sounds good in that case. As for combat being easy thanks to the slam move, that's just down to opinions/experience I guess.

content-4-36028-luigismansion3artbanner.jpg

Nintendo has shared a nice piece of promotional art for Luigi's Mansion 3

Check out the article on the main page to see the piece in full. :D

• Like 4

Reviews appear online in two hours! Looking forward to reading some impressions. :) 

• Thanks 1

Reviews appear online in two hours! Looking forward to reading some impressions.  
Well I can do a pretty good Tommy Cooper but i don't think it works well when you type it out...

25 minutes ago, bob said:
40 minutes ago, MindFreak said:
Reviews appear online in two hours! Looking forward to reading some impressions. emoji4.png 

Well I can do a pretty good Tommy Cooper but i don't think it works well when you type it out...

Give it a try anyway

On 10/23/2019 at 7:07 PM, Tim B said:

I would strongly advise against skipping it...

Luigi's Mansion 3

content-2-36030-luigismansion3sidebox.jpg

Click me if you dare!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

Nice review, good to see that the game is good. I've read other reviewers complain about the controls as you will have to use the right stick and the X or A button almost at the same time, which is hard... 

It's also the first time I've ever heard someone consider LM to be a survival horror game. I've seen it mentioned in two reviews now. 

Edited by MindFreak
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Nice review, good to see that the game is good. I've read other reviewers complain about the controls as you will have to use the right stick and the X or A button almost at the same time, which is hard... 

That could be an issue if you exclusively use the right stick, but that's where the gyro controls come in; as they allow you to access to face buttons while you're moving the poltergust/flashlight around.

Gyro controls can be switched off and they have 3 different sensitivity settings BTW.  Pro Controller is supported and you can use the gyro controls in handheld mode if you so wish.  There is also an option for Standard or Sidestep controls when using the poltergust/flashlight (I recommend Standard - I think it's Sidestep by default though, which might explain some people's issues... especially if they have an irrational hatred for any form of motion controls and refuse to try them).  I never had any issues with the controls personally though and didn't feel it was worth bogging down the review in talking much about them really; if you've played a previous LM game, you're gonna be very comfortable with the controls here.

It's also the first time I've ever heard someone consider LM to be a survival horror game. I've seen it mentioned in two reviews now. 

Well structurally the original Luigi's Mansion is very heavily based off of the original Resident Evil games; with that kind of lock and key design.  I really wanted to mention it because it's a big part of why Luigi's Mansion 3's game structure is so heavily different from the second game (and yet still different from the first) and why that's such a big deal.

It's not quite like the original, since it actually has a mixture of linear and non-linear floors, but it is much closer to the first game than the second in that regard; and it carries over a lot of the design language of both the original game and the classic Resident Evil games.

I think what surprised me the most though, structurally speaking anyway, is how much the game/puzzle design ended up reminding me of Four Swords Adventures, with the whole Gooigi mechanic.  If you like FSA, I reckon you'll really enjoy what they've done here :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've pre-ordered the game so don't want to read the review but I am curious as to how long the campaign is. How many hours did you put into it @Dcubed?

Just now, killthenet said:

I've pre-ordered the game so don't want to read the review but I am curious as to how long the campaign is. How many hours did you put into it @Dcubed?

It's about 10-15 hours for the main single player mode your first time through.  Multiplayer will obviously extend its life further.

I felt that it was the perfect length really.  Didn't feel too short or too long, it felt just right :) 

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this