NEurope
Londragon

Switch eShop Thread

Have finally bought Thumper, should hopefully get to play through it this week once I'm done with Skyrim.

11th of January Switch eShop details;

Nintendo Switch eShop
Furi (The Game Bakers, €19.99 / £17.99)
Super Meat Boy (BlitWorks, €12.99 / £11.99)
The Escapists 2 (Team17 Digital, €19.99 / £19.99)
Moorhuhn Knights & Castles (Young Fun Studio, €29.99 / £26.99)
Never Stop Sneakin’ (Humble Hearts, €12.99 / £11.69)
Energy Invasion (EvgeniyKolpakov, €2.99 / £2.69)
ACA NEOGEO Art Of Fighting 2 (HAMSTER, €6.99 / £6.29)
Of Mice and Sand (ARC SYSTEM WORKS, €9.99 / £8.99)
Azkend 2: The World Beneath (10tons, €7.99 / £6.99)

Nintendo Switch Pre-Orders
Bayonetta (Nintendo, €10.00 / £10.00 for purchasers of Bayonetta 2 on the Nintendo eShop, regular price €29.99 / £24.99)
Bayonetta 2 (Nintendo, €30.00 / £25.00 for purchasers of Bayonetta on the Nintendo eShop, regular price €49.99 / £39.99)
Dragon Quest Builders (Nintendo, €49.99 / £39.99)
Kirby Star Allies (Nintendo, €59.99 / £49.99 for pre-orders until March 15th, regular price €59.99 / £49.99)

Nintendo Switch Temporary Discounts
Black the Fall (SandSailorStudio, €13.41 / £10.79 until 23rd Jan, regular price €14.90 / £11.99)
Nuclien (SPRINGLOADED, €2.59 / £2.24 for pre-orders until 18th Jan, regular price €3.49 / £2.99)
Death Squared (SMG Studio, €9.37 / £8.99 until 15th Jan, regular price €12.50 / £11.99)
GoNNER (Raw Fury, €6.99 / £6.29 until 15th Jan, regular price €9.99 / £8.99)
Graceful Explosion Machine (Vertex Pop Inc., €8.99 / £6.99 until 15th Jan, regular price €12.99 / £9.99)
INVERSUS Deluxe (Hypersect, €7.79 / £7.14 until 15th Jan, regular price €11.99 / £10.99)
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (Asteroid Base, €9.99 / £7.99 until 15th Jan, regular price €14.99 / £11.99)
Semispheres (Vivid Helix, €6.99 / £6.29 until 15th Jan, regular price €9.99 / £8.99)
Severed (Drinkbox Studios, €9.99 / £8.99 until 15th Jan, regular price €14.99 / £13.49)
Thimbleweed Park (Terrible Toybox, €14.99 / £11.24 until 15th Jan, regular price €19.99 / £14.99)
Thumper (Drool LLC, €13.99 / £10.71 until 15th Jan, regular price €19.99 / £15.99)
Tactical Mind (QubicGames, €2.69 / £2.42 until 31st Jan, regular price €2.99 / £2.69)

Nintendo Switch DLC and Bundle
Pokkén Tournament DX Battle Pack (Nintendo, €14.99 / £13.49)
Pokkén Tournament DX Bundle (Nintendo, €74.98 / £63.48)

Nintendo Switch Demos
Dragon Quest Builders (Nintendo, Demo, Free)
Forma.8 (MixedBag, Demo, Free)
IMPLOSION (Flyhigh Works, Demo, Free)

• Thanks 2

The second part of the excellent sci-fi game The Fall is coming out on February 13th (same day as Owlboy) and it looks like Night In The Woods is coming even sooner with the eShop listing it for January 18th. I think now is the right time for them to have another Nindie direct, I'm hoping we get one soon with a release date for Hollow Knight.

• Like 1

After many decades, I have finally got the arcade version of Double Dragon on my console!  @Dcubed - Do you have any ideas about the perfect way to display this?  If the coin-op was 256×240, should I set it to multiples of 240?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Grazza said:

After many decades, I have finally got the arcade version of Double Dragon on my console!  @Dcubed - Do you have any ideas about the perfect way to display this?  If the coin-op was 256×240, should I set it to multiples of 240?

I think it should default to a perfect integer upscale; but I don’t know for sure.

If it doesn’t, then I’m not really sure I’m afraid; because they just use arbitrary units in the menu and  I don’t know what they correspond to in terms of resolution here.  A perfect integer scale should be possible, but you might just have to tinker with the numbers to find it.

52 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I think it should default to a perfect integer upscale; but I don’t know for sure.

If it doesn’t, then I’m not really sure I’m afraid; because they just use arbitrary units in the menu and  I don’t know what they correspond to in terms of resolution here.  A perfect integer scale should be possible, but you might just have to tinker with the numbers to find it.

Cheers.  If the original was 256x240, I'm just going to make it full screen vertically, which on Switch should be 720 (a x3 multiplication)?  Neo Geo could do 320×224, so was slightly different.

18th of January Switch eShop releases;

Switch eShop
Darkest Dungeon (Red Hook Studios, €21.99 / £17.99)
Darkest Dungeon: Ancestral Edition (Red Hook Studios, €30.99 / £25.99)
Tales Of A Tiny Planet (Joindots, €19.99 / £17.99)
ACA NEOGEO POWER SPIKES II (HAMSTER, €6.99 / £6.29)
Ambition Of The Slimes (Flyhigh Works, €5.00 / £4.99)
Oh… Sir! The Hollywood Roast (Gambitious, €3.49 / £2.99)
Oh… Sir! The Insult Simulator (Gambitious, €2.29 / £1.99)
Qbik (Forever Entertainment, €4.49/£3.00 until February 1st if you own Sparkle 2 EVO, Violett or Frederic, regular price €4.99 /£4.04)
Rally Racers (System 3, €9.99 / £8.99)
World To The West (Rain Games, €19.99 /£17.99)
Baseball Riot (10tons, €4.99 / £4.49) – Available from Friday 19th of January.
BRAWL (QubicGames, €9.99 / £8.99) – Available from Friday 19th of January.
Nuclien (SPRINGLOADED, €3.49 / £2.99) – Available from Friday 19th of January.
Vesta (FinalBoss Games, €12.74 / £11.46 until January 26th, regular price €14.99 / £13.49) – Available from Friday 19th of January.
ChromaGun (Pixel Maniacs, £19.99). Available from Monday 22nd of January.
Arcade Archives DOUBLE DRAGON (HAMSTER, €6.99 / £6.29)

Nintendo Switch Demos
Death Squared: The Employee Evaluation Demo (SMG Studio, Free)
League Of Evil Demo (Ratalaika Games, Free)

Nintendo Switch DLC
Stern Pinball Arcade: Limited Edition Add-on Pack 1 (FarSight Studios, €8.48) – adds: AC/DC Back in Black Limited Edition, AC/DC Let There Be Rock Limited Edition and Star Trek Enterprise Limited Edition
Stern Pinball Arcade: Limited Edition Add-on Pack 2 (FarSight Studios, €8.48) -adds: Mustang Limited Edition “50 Years” and Ghostbusters Limited Edition
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 – Champions Character Pack (WB Games, €1.99)
Chess Ultra: Pantheon Game Pack (Ripstone Publishing, €5.99)
Darkest Dungeon: The Crimson Court (Red Hook Studios, €8.99)
Darkest Dungeon: The Shieldbreaker (Red Hook Studios, €3.49)
Pic-a-Pix Deluxe – Classic 01 (Lightwood Games, €2.99)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Expansion Pass (Nintendo)

Nintendo Switch Temporary Discounts
Includes all these games, pricing details can be found on the relevant eShop;
Beach Buggy Racing
Bleed
The Coma: Recut
Crimsonland
Oxenfree
Qbik
Portal Knights
Riptide GP: Renegade
Spelunker Party!
Transcripted
Vesta

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Grazza said:

Cheers.  If the original was 256x240, I'm just going to make it full screen vertically, which on Switch should be 720 (a x3 multiplication)?  Neo Geo could do 320×224, so was slightly different.

Bear in mind that it’s different on the TV (since it outputs at 1080p), so unless you change the Switch’s TV output to 720p (which I’m guessing that you don’t want to do), there should be a small border with an integer upscale of 240p content (it’s actually gonna be 960p - like with NES/SNES games on Wii U).

In handheld mode though, yes, it should be full screen since 720 is a perfect 3x multiple of 240.  The horizontal scale is a bit tricky though because it should be displayed as a 4:3 image, even though the game never actually renders in the correct aspect ratio; so you need to stretch it to get the proper 4:3 aspect ratio.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

I can't really explain how important Double Dragon was to my childhood.  I first found it in 1987, at a sports centre, and became obsessed with it thereafter.  Whether I was at a holiday camp or a seaside arcade, I tried to find this machine and slot my (old-sized) 10p pieces into it.  It was always my ambition to own the real arcade game at home, and now I do.

Last night I plugged in my headphones, loaded up Double Dragon and spent half an hour of retro bliss.  This isn't just nostalgia, it's time travel!  Suffice to say, Abobo is still a badass, the moving walls are still annoying and Marian's dress still doesn't cover her pants!

DT2_auSU8AE2UGi.jpg:large

DT2_fKHVwAE9FkY.jpg:large

DT2_jdfU8AEg_7U.jpg:large

DT2_oiYVMAE5LX-.jpg:large

DT2_sc_U8AAhyZe.jpg:large

DT2_wbwVwAEMhD-.jpg:large

Spoiler

DT2_0aUVQAAzTnH.jpg:large

DT2_41JVwAAfXfQ.jpg:large

DT2_84IVoAAV3l-.jpg:large

DT3ABNXVAAAib5R.jpg:large

Now bring on Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja!

Edited by Grazza
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Yeah I have amazing memories of playing double dragon intensely in Mablethorpe every summer... is this different to the home versions that got released?

54 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

Yeah I have amazing memories of playing double dragon intensely in Mablethorpe every summer... is this different to the home versions that got released?

Massively, yeah.  The Megadrive was the only one that matched the graphics, I thought, but even that didn't have the sound.  Unless you mean previous downloadable versions of the coin-op?

+1 for Double Dragon childhood memories. :)

Picked up Riptide GP. Definitely worth £5 As a decent racer with decent water physics. Just wish their was a time trial mode. 

• Like 1

I've picked up Riptide GP too.

Along with Oxenfree.  Which I've owned on Steam for ages but never got around to playing.

Picked up Oxenfree, too. It just seemed too good to let pass at £3.99. Am really tempted by ACA Double Dragon as well. Good times with a misspent youth.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Add another to the Oxenfree purchasers. Know nothing of it but the trailer looked good as well as the synopsis, and with a £4 price tag I could pass it up. Also downloaded the demo for Max: The curse of brotherhood. Anyone know anything about it? It looks quite fun. 

Ha, add me to that list too! I don't think i'll get around to playing it for a while but couldn't refuse it at that price. I bought a load of games on the eshop on Xmas day (Yono, Pan-Pan & The Deer-God) so have them to play through first as well as a buttload of games on PS4. I thought I was going to take it easy on buying games this month because I already had so many on my backlog but have since bought Oxenfree, Gorogoa and Thumper. I've played through Thumper and Gorogoa this week, both thoroughly excellent games for completely different reasons, and finally got round to Thimbleweed Park too. Would recommend all of them but I can only really see fans of other SCUMM games enjoying Thimbleweed Park.

Have fun with Oxenfree guys. The port could've been better, but the game itself is fantastic.

Really jealous of everyone getting to experience Oxenfree for the first time. Enjoy it as it really is a fantastic game. It was one of my top games of 2016 and still crops up for me in discussions when asked for recommendations for indie titles. It's superb in virtually every aspect. Hopefully the issues with the port have been ironed out to make it a more smooth experience but I'd say push through them anyway because the game is well worth. There's probably been enough time that's passed for me having another run on the game.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ganepark32 said:

Really jealous of everyone getting to experience Oxenfree for the first time. Enjoy it as it really is a fantastic game. It was one of my top games of 2016 and still crops up for me in discussions when asked for recommendations for indie titles. It's superb in virtually every aspect. Hopefully the issues with the port have been ironed out to make it a more smooth experience but I'd say push through them anyway because the game is well worth. There's probably been enough time that's passed for me having another run on the game.

4 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Have fun with Oxenfree guys. The port could've been better, but the game itself is fantastic.

Only put an hour into it, in about 2 sittings so far, but it's a great before bed game, while sitting in bed.  This holds a lot of promise, and I can already see that I want to play through it again to choose different paths, etc.  One annoying bug though, in the pause menu when you zoom in on the map, it wouldn't let me close the zoom function, and I was stuck on it, afraid I'd lose my save.  After repeatedly pressing the - button, and the touch screen representation, numerous times over 2 minutes, it reverted back to the menu.  Tried to see if this was a one-off, but it happened again, very annoying.  Great story, and writhing though, already Ren annoys me, in a good way.

1 hour ago, londragon said:

Great story, and writhing though, already Ren annoys me, in a good way.

Now, that should either be a selling point for the game or a warning with regards to the content... depending on your outlook. :D

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve also picked up Oxenfree - not started it yet.

Also went for The Escapists 2 - just liked the look of it but torn between a lot of indies at the moment as also want Stardew Valley, Gungeon and SteamWorld Dig.

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

A sad lack of Darkest Dungeon being purchased here :(

Maybe the game just doesn't interest people? I know I'm not keen on it.

• Like 1

Didn’t Double Dragon slow down ridiculously on the arcade version? Can’t remember it doing back in the 80s but I was a kid back then and the game was the coolest thing ever. 

Played a MAME emulation a few years ago and it slowed to a crawl every time there were more than 2 enemies on the screen.