NEurope
Happenstance

What was your first Nintendo console?

NES sometime in the late 80's. I got the pack in with TMNT:

tmnt-nes-bundle.jpg

(not my picture)

Yeah, the family got a NES with turtles. But gameboy was the first nintendo console I owned personally.

edit-21146-1405489862-4.jpg

Shudder

Yeah.. so I owned that game :weep:

I think it is my least favourite game on the nes, I can't remember how I came to own it, I think it was given to me by another strong fan of the game :P

I never got far in the game because in terms of gameplay it wasn't fun. Even if my game genie could have given me infinite everything, I'm not sure I would have bothered going through the whole game. Which does remind me.. game genies for carts :love: I think, if I remember correctly, as Dizzy and cosmic spacehead weren't legitimate carts, I needed to plug them into the game genie in order to get them to work!

Back to turtles, the other turtles game on the nes WAS fun to play though, I searched long and hard for it but never managed to find it, I was only ever able to play it round a school friend's house :(

I started with the NES. My parents bought it from a family friend when I would've been around 5, we had the first Mario game and a Batman game. None of us could even complete the second level of the Batman game!

Since then had a SNES and N64 as christmas presents, as well as a Gameboy Colour. The GBA was the first I bought myself which I got on release, same with GameCube, DS (which I got four weeks early thanks to the Club Nintendo deal), Wii and 3DS.

I bought the Wii U a month or so after release when HMV were doing some crazy cheap deal, this is the only one that I kind of regret buying since it didn't really deliver what I wanted as my gaming tastes (and enthusiasm for gaming in general) have changed over time.

I am looking forward to the Switch though, hoping it'll be a step back towards the right direction!

NES sometime in the late 80's. I got the pack in with TMNT:

tmnt-nes-bundle.jpg

(not my picture)

I love how friendly they look on the NES box, compared to how savage they look on the game box, haha.

I started with the NES. My parents bought it from a family friend when I would've been around 5, we had the first Mario game and a Batman game. None of us could even complete the second level of the Batman game!
I was gonna bring that up :p Damn that game.

Technically my first was also the NES, even though I just have a blurred memory of crashing the car in the second stage of Ghostbusters 2. And also of being destroyed at both ninja turtles games. I have two older brothers, and the NES arrived home before I did, so I've been around Nintendo my whole life. Our NES is still running (almost perfectly) smooth, so I replayed all games at some point. We never managed to do one jump in stage 10 (I think it was 10?) of Snake Rattle 'n' Roll though, that game is impossible! We cheated and used an emulator a few years ago, and after some work managed to complete that stage. Just to see that there was a final stage afterwards, which was impossible :blank:

My first proper gaming memories are in the SNES, trying to survive the lava stage in Aladdin. Oh and I also remember that by the time of Yoshi's Island I was already able to take the game and complete the current stage where my brothers had left the game in their last session :grin:

As a person who's over a certain age now I didn't grow up with Nintendo as a kid because they weren't so popular during 8 and early 16 bit era so my first Nintendo console was the GameCube. Still a great console even now!

Edited by sumo73
added....'early' 16 bit era.

Technically my first was also the NES, even though I just have a blurred memory of crashing the car in the second stage of Ghostbusters 2. And also of being destroyed at both ninja turtles games. I have two older brothers, and the NES arrived home before I did, so I've been around Nintendo my whole life. Our NES is still running (almost perfectly) smooth, so I replayed all games at some point. We never managed to do one jump in stage 10 (I think it was 10?) of Snake Rattle 'n' Roll though, that game is impossible! We cheated and used an emulator a few years ago, and after some work managed to complete that stage. Just to see that there was a final stage afterwards, which was impossible :blank:

My first proper gaming memories are in the SNES, trying to survive the lava stage in Aladdin. Oh and I also remember that by the time of Yoshi's Island I was already able to take the game and complete the current stage where my brothers had left the game in their last session :grin:

Snake rattle and roll! awesome game, I loved it! I can't remember if that's one I owned or not. It was really tough, but fun (also a bit bizarre)

Also remembering The New Zealand story.. I recall I got that in 1994, it was really cheap (The snes was taking off at that stage so nes games where getting very affordable :P) but the weird thing for me was how excited my class teacher got when he over heard me mentioning the game to a friend :P

My biggest regret with the nes was never getting the world cup game - with licensing issues I can't see the game ever being released on vc and I've given up hope of ever finding a cart that works and is a reasonable price.

I have to say, the nes is a SOLID machine, after a decade and a half of neglect it still worked as good as ever when I dragged it out. Then again, the same can be said of the gamecube! I've not got the same confidence in the Wii /U though - time will tell!

I have to say, the nes is a SOLID machine, after a decade and a half of neglect it still worked as good as ever when I dragged it out. Then again, the same can be said of the gamecube! I've not got the same confidence in the Wii /U though - time will tell!

What about the SNES? Sadly, it's the only one that has stopped working for me. It's also really weird what happened. Some games run fine (like Stunt Race FX -- well it runs as good as it could!), Super Metroid runs fine but as soon as you try to cross a door, the game (not the music though) stops in the black between the two rooms; in Street Fighter 2 every time you land a hit, a star appears which keeps growing, until it covers almost all the screen and then disappears... I tried to open the console and clean it, but the screws are kind of weird and not very accessible, so I couldn't do it :cry:

By the way, were any of you guys members of the club Nintendo before the internet? Me and my brothers were, and we got sent some VHS at home with Nintendo news (I remember these videos being awesome, but maybe that's just my biased memory), we could call if we were stuck in a game and ask for help, and we also had a member card : peace: actually I might create a thread about this when I get home tonight, I'm curious to know if here in the UK it was the same as in Spain.

Got a SNES with Mario All Stars for Christmas one year. Not many Christmas's have topped that, apart from maybe Ocarina of Time in 1998.

What about the SNES? Sadly, it's the only one that has stopped working for me. It's also really weird what happened. Some games run fine (like Stunt Race FX -- well it runs as good as it could!), Super Metroid runs fine but as soon as you try to cross a door, the game (not the music though) stops in the black between the two rooms; in Street Fighter 2 every time you land a hit, a star appears which keeps growing, until it covers almost all the screen and then disappears... I tried to open the console and clean it, but the screws are kind of weird and not very accessible, so I couldn't do it :cry:

By the way, were any of you guys members of the club Nintendo before the internet? Me and my brothers were, and we got sent some VHS at home with Nintendo news (I remember these videos being awesome, but maybe that's just my biased memory), we could call if we were stuck in a game and ask for help, and we also had a member card : peace: actually I might create a thread about this when I get home tonight, I'm curious to know if here in the UK it was the same as in Spain.

By the time I was ready to move onto the snes the N64 came out. I played the snes at a youth club I went to, and because my dad worked in the building (and I knew the youth club owner/leader guy) I was able to hook the system up and play it during the week. between that and my nes at home I was quite happy. Actually having the snes available only for a few hours a week made my time with it all the more fun. I remember playing star fox with the volume turned as high as the speakers could manage without the sound distorting. it felt so immersive! and the mario kart, trying to get a higher score than my brother :P until someone broke into the club and stole the snes and all the game carts :shakehead

At that point PC gaming had caught my attention, so I enjoyed rts games and shooters mainly for a good 6 or 7 years, only smash bros really grabbed my attention at the time. Glad I got back into console gaming with my cube though!

As a person who's over a certain age now I didn't grow up with Nintendo as a kid because they weren't so popular during 8/16 bit era so my first Nintendo console was the GameCube. Still a great console even now!

Nintendo weren't popular duding the 8 and 16 bit era?! Am I misreading your post?!

I 'started' with the Gameboy and SML - my cousins had one and we'd play it all the time when we saw each other. All I wanted to do as a kid was play games iirc lol.

Then my real, own journey, started with a SNES at Xmas around 1992/93; my mum had taken us all out separately for xmas treats on diff days and being youngest I was the last - then I remember getting home and seeing my brother, sister, some family friends(grrr) all playing with/setting up a brand new SNES with the Super Scope 6! I remember feeling slightly gutted that this had been opened and setup without me(tbh not even sure why as I think it was before xmas day) but that was where my journey really started. Can't recall the first game we had after Super Scope 6, but the next one I can recall the best is SMW.

Few Christmases after my parents 'got my sister' a Gameboy with Kirbys and that essentially became collective/for sharing between us all. With both a SNES and GameBoy under my belt I was set upon the path of becoming the massive nerd I am now!

I can't remember if it was the Gameboy or the NES that i had first, however i had them both in the same year. Had the NES with Super Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt, and the Gameboy came with Tetris and Super Mario Land. Had some fun times with both these consoles, still have the NES in the attic and it works still. The Gameboy however was lost in a flood, but Tetris still works.

Since then, i've had (Nintendo-wise)

Gameboy Color

N64

Gameboy Advance

GameCube

Nintendo DS

Wii

Nintendo 3DS

WiiU

"New" Nintendo 3DS

I'm thinking about getting a Switch, but will await more info before i consider a purchase.

I can't remember if it was the Gameboy or the NES that i had first, however i had them both in the same year. Had the NES with Super Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt, and the Gameboy came with Tetris and Super Mario Land. Had some fun times with both these consoles, still have the NES in the attic and it works still. The Gameboy however was lost in a flood, but Tetris still works.

Since then, i've had (Nintendo-wise)

Gameboy Color

N64

Gameboy Advance

GameCube

Nintendo DS

Wii

Nintendo 3DS

WiiU

"New" Nintendo 3DS

I'm thinking about getting a Switch, but will await more info before i consider a purchase.

You've had pretty much everything but the SNES? How did that one slip you by?

Yeah.. so I owned that game :weep:

I think it is my least favourite game on the nes, I can't remember how I came to own it, I think it was given to me by another strong fan of the game :P

I never got far in the game because in terms of gameplay it wasn't fun.

Yeah that game was so difficult to get through. I actually got pretty good at it though, even getting through that water level that @Ronnie mentioned without losing any of the turtles. I kind of forced myself to keep playing the game refusing to accept that its bad, even though it clearly was, because my young mind had decided that a TMNT NES game would automatically be the greatest thing ever. In the end I could make it to Shredder but I never beat him.

I love how friendly they look on the NES box, compared to how savage they look on the game box, haha.

lol yeah. Also Michelangelo holding the wrong weapon.

Yeah that game was so difficult to get through. I actually got pretty good at it though, even getting through that water level that @Ronnie mentioned without losing any of the turtles. I kind of forced myself to keep playing the game refusing to accept that its bad, even though it clearly was, because my young mind had decided that a TMNT NES game would automatically be the greatest thing ever. In the end I could make it to Shredder but I never beat him.

lol yeah. Also Michelangelo holding the wrong weapon.

I had played the other nes game (and I believe the snes game (turtles in time) and both were fun.. so yeah this one I just... yeah :P I tried to push through but I think on that water level I just stopped and realised I had other games that were actually fun to play :D

As for the wrong weapon, I think that was a move to get round legal restrictions (I believe his actual weapon was illegal to possess in the UK certainly). Although surely just having him hugging the game and having Raphael in his place would have made more sense :D

Also... the good turtles game on the nes!

2362302-nes_tmnt2arcade.jpg?x23000

Edited by Pestneb

I still can't believe how confusing that overhead van driving section was in the first TMNT game on NES, made all the more difficult thanks to the limited number of missiles. I remember getting so lost in that part of the game. Nowadays there'd be a dotted line telling you exactly where to go lol.

Nintendo weren't popular duding the 8 and 16 bit era?! Am I misreading your post?!

I think I said "weren't so popular" not weren't popular. :hmm:

Recently I watched 'Nintendo Minute' on YouTube where the hosts were talking about NES Classic edition and how the hosts were reminiscing about playing the NES many years ago but I think this is mainly from a North American view. Yes the NES was released where I lived but it faced tough competition especially when you looked into the prices Nintendo were changing at the time for cartridges over cassette tapes.

Here in the UK during most of the 80's systems like Commodore 64, Spectrum 48... were more popular and then it moved to systems like Commodore Amiga, Atari St. If you could talk to people like Charlie Brooker or Russell Brand then their video game memories from childhood were not about Nintendo, Sony or Sega.

Anyway by the early to mid 90's that computer scene had almost died as people had moved onto consoles. By the mid to late 90's I was a PC gamer and then in 2002, I got a GameCube for Xmas and everything changed.

Edited by sumo73

I think I said "weren't so popular" not weren't popular. :hmm:

Recently I watched 'Nintendo Minute' on YouTube where the hosts were talking about NES Classic edition and how the hosts were reminiscing about playing the NES many years ago but I think this is mainly from a North American view. Yes the NES was released where I lived but it faced tough competition especially when you looked into the prices Nintendo were changing at the time for cartridges over cassette tapes.

Here in the UK during most of the 80's systems like Commodore 64, Spectrum 48... were more popular and then it moved to systems like Commodore Amiga, Atari St. If you could talk to people like Charlie Brooker or Russell Brand then their video game memories from childhood were not about Nintendo, Sony or Sega.

Anyway by the early to mid 90's that computer scene had almost died as people had moved onto consoles. By the mid to late 90's I was a PC gamer and then in 2002, I got a GameCube for Xmas and everything changed.

The Commodore 64 sold between 12 and 17 million units.

The Spectrum sold 5 million units.

The NES sold 62 million.

Yes a lot of people had a Commodore 64 but most then moved onto the NES and that's when video games really took off as a global mainstream thing. To say Nintendo weren't popular during the 8 and 16 bit generations is a little silly considering, Wii apart, those were their two best selling home consoles.

I think Sumo has a fair point. As far as I'm aware, the Sega Megadrive was more popular in this country than the NES and SNES.

I don't remember much about the era myself as I was only young and didn't get my first console until the Game Boy Color, but my cousins and neighbours who I used to play games with had Segas. My first exposure to Nintendo was the N64 and Game Boy.