NEurope
Happenstance

What was your first Nintendo console?

As a person who's over a certain age now I didn't grow up with Nintendo as a kid because they weren't so popular during 8 and early 16 bit era so my first Nintendo console was the GameCube. Still a great console even now!

Yeah this is how I remember it too. I grew up in the 80's and early 90's and like you said, its not that Nintendo wasn't popular, its that they were not as popular as Sega. I recall hearing that a lot at the time and anecdotally more people owned master systems and Megadrives then NES and SNES's in my school then Nintendo consoles.

That's surprising, because Nintendo were incredibly popular around that time. /f

It was (now that i look back on it). Already had a friend with a SNES, plus i fancied a change. Loved playing Sonic the Hedgehog, Streets of Rage and Ecco the Dolphin

I feel like I saw more people with Sega consoles growing up than Nintendo. Even my cousins who had the Gameboy had a Mega Drive, kid in my street had a Mega Drive, couple mates from school had mega drive/master system. I saw a NES or two/SNES when I went on holiday to America, but UK wise I think there was only one person(another kid/family in my street) that I knew of with a SNES until later years when my mate got one in like 1996 or something silly. Plus side to it all however other than lack of lending games was that we'd at least have different experiences when we hung out at each others' houses :D

Edited by Rummy

Nintendo have always been second place at best in Europe (except for the Wii of course, for a while anyway). Even during the 80s, the C64 and Spectrum were far more popular in the UK than the NES, simply because of the massive price difference with games (and the prevalence of British software helped too). Then in the 90s SEGA and Sony left Nintendo a distant second here.

Doesn't help that NOE treated us like dirt all the way up until the Wii/DS era, when they finally pulled their finger out.

Started off with a NES, games I can remember owning:

Super Mario Bros 2

Legend of Zelda 2: Adventure of Link

Solstice

Bayou Billy

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

I'd had a Commodore 64 before that.

Me too!

Edited by EEVILMURRAY
Automerged Doublepost

I still have my NES actually and all the games.

Super Mario Bros 1 & Duck Hunt

Super Mario Bros 2

Super Mario Bros 3

Adventure Island II

Double Dragon 2

Turtles

Turtles 2 Arcade Game

Captain Planet

Amazing how I never really felt like I wanted more games than this, I just replayed the same ones over and over.... Also I had no knowledge of what great games were so I never sought Zelda, Megaman or Metroid (but I do remember at least borrowing one of the Megaman games and finishing it).

Edit: just remembered two other games, Marble Madness and some weird robin hood style game, I think they're less memorable because I got them much later on.

Edited by Shorty

Another NES kid here, remember getting it for Christmas with Dr Mario (pack in), Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest and Turbo Racing. I can remember playing Simon's Quest for years without having a clue what I was doing and only being able to find the first mansion, it wasn't until I found a book that was based on the story for the game and contained tips for it in the mobile library that I managed to finish it! Despite all the hate that game gets and even the frustration I had with it I have so many fond memories of playing it. Have been a Nintendo person ever since, owning just about every Nintendo console and handheld except the virtual boy, and still own all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk