Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2016/17

Phube

Got to look at what Sam did at Sunderland last season. Took a team with no confidence and ability to perform under pressure (England lol) and made them almost unbeatable. I think he's the exact personality they need to reignite the passion for playing for the country.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking back on what I wrote when England were knocked out by Iceland, I still stand by it. England need a style of football and everything needs to be looked at from top to bottom. Upon seeing that Allardyce is the next man in charge, England aren't going to be getting that. Part of me is disappointed that England went for this option rather than actually pushing for change. I'm not massively convinced the output is going to be that much better than what England had with Hodgson.

However, it's good for Sam that he's being given a job of this magnitude. He's been around long enough and it's probably time he was giving a shot at something like this. Given where England are realistically (when you watch them play, when you see how they turn up (or don't) for major tournaments), you'd have to agree that Sam is roughly at the same level as where England are at the moment. Looking at what he did for Sunderland last season, it's actually a similar sort of job he's got now in terms of morale. I do still think that this is a great set of English players and they should have achieved a lot more at the Euros than they did.

Mahrez is playing for Leicester in their friendly against Celtic at the moment, so hopefully that's a sign that he will be staying put. Leicester have already lost Kante and one of their top staff members in Steve Walsh, so it would be really disappointing if Mahrez were to go as well.

Reports saying Arsenal have agreed a deal to bring Riyad Mahrez to the club, if it's true (I'll only believe it when I see it) I wonder how Jamie Vardy will be feeling.

Please, please, please be true!

Nothing new on Mahrez in a few days now but reports suggesting that Arsenal are going to increase their bid for Lacazette soon and offer in the region of 40m Euro.

Got to look at what Sam did at Sunderland last season. Took a team with no confidence and ability to perform under pressure (England lol) and made them almost unbeatable. I think he's the exact personality they need to reignite the passion for playing for the country.

Look, Sunderland did some good things last season, don't get me wrong. But they only won 29% of their games under Allardyce, and lost 42%!

Look, Sunderland did some good things last season, don't get me wrong. But they only won 29% of their games under Allardyce, and lost 42%!

They're Sunderland. Winning almost a third of their games and not being relegated is what is expected of them when they had an awful start to the season under a different manager.

At least one more major signing will be made by the end of the window.

Still nowhere near good enough.

Look at what every other club has done. We've signed Xhaka, we've lost Rosicky and Arteta. We have one fit CB to start the season in Chambers. We'll no doubt add more but there seems to be no plan. We've got a difficult start to the season, so we should be getting players in as quickly as possible. Not wait until the final day of the window again.

Roberto Martinez has got the Belgium job. I didn't see that coming at all! :o

Not sure what to think of that. Interesting. I do like the manager and they do need to play more attacking and quicker football, which is what he's good at. Tempted to say it's a decent appointment.

We've signed Ross McCormack for £12m, which is obviously silly money for a Championship player but he pretty much guarantees 20 goals (based on the last three seasons anyway) so if he can get close to that we'll be in a good position to get promotion back to the top flight. We've made a lot less purchases than I expected to, but that's mainly down to use losing less players than I expected. The fact that we've held onto Ayew and Amavi could go a long way to helping us challenge for the Championship title.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!