N-Europe

Disney Scrapping Infinity?

Some stuff is starting to circulate that Disney are pulling the plug on the Infinity game and also exiting the games publishing business.

Disney cancels struggling Infinity video game line. Takes $147 million charge. End of Disney as video game publisher.

Shame, if true. I really enjoyed the Infinity games, especially the Star Wars version. At the same time I'm not surprised. The figures are always on sale and I imagine retailers had a hard time trying to keep up with the various lines.

This looks to be the first casualty of the toys to life gaming setup. I wonder who will be next? I don't think the Lego Dimensions have any new game planned. Good news for Nintendo though as this frees up shelf space for Amiibo, which is still pulling in a great amount of cash for them.

Damn I only just bought Disney Infinite 3.0 Star Wars. On the bright side, should I be able to get all the Star Wars figures really cheap soon?

If they cut ties with video game stuff, I hope the Turok licence ends up somewhere good. If only Nintendo bought it and gave it to Retro.

Damn I only just bought Disney Infinite 3.0 Star Wars. On the bright side, should I be able to get all the Star Wars figures really cheap soon?

Probably. If this is indeed true, then retailers will be looking to clear the shelves of their stock at some point.

Looks like it is true, and that's a real shame. I've enjoyed the series, still have some Star Wars and Marvel sets to catch up on. They're nice figures and fun games. Nothing extraordinary, but great for Disney/Marvel/Star Wars fans. This explains something I saw on Facebook posted by someone kinda connected to Disney Infinity.

Avalanche shut down.

"After a thorough evaluation, we have modified our approach to console gaming and will transition exclusively to a licensing model. This shift in strategy means we will cease production of Disney Infinity, where the lack of growth in the toys-to-life market, coupled with high development costs, has created a challenging business model. This means that we will be shutting down Avalanche, our internal studio that developed the game. This was a difficult decision that we did not take lightly given the quality of Disney Infinity and its many passionate fans.”

Avalanche shut down.

Crap.. Which means I'll need to get all the figures I want asap. Wasn't planning on spending that much on them in such a short time.. I was waiting for the Christmas sale, but I assume that's going to be too late.

[..]

On the bright side, should I be able to get all the Star Wars figures really cheap soon?

[..]

Depends on which ones you need. The ones that didn't sell anyway, will become cheaper.. The ones that are already hard to find, will become much more expensive.

I'm surprised Disney infinity seems to have a lot more shelf space than anything but amiibos. I didn't take no new disc release as a bad thing especially as they released that marvel powerstone clone dlc just thought they were exploring options for it as a platform....disappointing for sure just because of the licenses they have.

I don't really understand what their issue is? they are doing well, there games are well received, a slight dip in sales is no reason to do that

I imagine the crazy amount of money they are making elsewhere means that they don't need to take any kind of risks with console gaming and can just back away. The amount of green they must be making at the box office must be insane at the moment.

Depends on which ones you need. The ones that didn't sell anyway, will become cheaper.. The ones that are already hard to find, will become much more expensive.

I have no idea which ones are rare, only interested in Star Wars stuff. Do any in particular unlock new levels, or is it just the disk things which do that?

I have no idea which ones are rare, only interested in Star Wars stuff. Do any in particular unlock new levels, or is it just the disk things which do that?

No idea, I don't play the games. Figures in themselves don't unlock anything beyond their character, but playsets unlock certain levels / gamemodes / whatever I believe.

Anyway, generally speaking, I suspect you still have tie to buy alol the Star Wars stuff you want (current generation stuff), but if you want figures from the previous generations, I think you need to hurry. But if you're only interested in Star Wars, that's of no interest to you.