NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Direct (03/03 10pm)

Annoying thing is Japan has a 50% off the SNES VC games, tempted to buy ALttP from the Japanese eShop. Bought Earthbound as I want to give it another bash and full portability will be nice. Planning on picking up ALttP and Super Metroid.

If they do this I will never by their new console.

Having to pay again for VC games I bought for my Wii just to play them on my Wii U was (still is) ridiculous.

They need to sort this out. They should've sorted this out quite some time ago actually...

Anyway, the direct itself didn't do anything for me.

I don't know if that issue alone would put me off buying the console but I would certainly not buy any VC games for it again.

It seems like the architecture will be different to the Wii U, so it won't be free for them to develop the new VC.

They will want to recoup dev costs of doing that - but perhaps then would be the time for a subscription model or perhaps asking you to pay for the emulation software.

Didn't they say the NX IS based on the Wii U?

It would be mental if they made is pay again. I'm pretty certain they won't and cross buy will be in.

The thing I fear is what games will be on the service, a bit of me is thinking the whole eshop will just move over. Indies, retail, VC.... but maybe that'a a little naive.

I don't think they have said it will be based on the Wii U architecture - but I might have missed something.

It can't easily be based on Wii U and offer simple porting for One and PS4 games. Unless they put a Wii U on the hardware.

I have been assuming one or the other.

Edited by peterl0

I don't think they have said it will be based on the Wii U architecture - but I might have missed something.

It can't easily be based on Wii U and offer simple porting for One and PS4 games. Unless they put a Wii U on the hardware.

I have no idea, I'm completely ignorant to tech stuff like this; but Iwata specifically said it's based on Wii U. Surely it can be based on Wii U, but at a much better performance for easy porting?! Like I say, I have no idea.

I have no idea, I'm completely ignorant to tech stuff like this; but Iwata specifically said it's based on Wii U. Surely it can be based on Wii U, but at a much better performance for easy porting?! Like I say, I have no idea.

This is what was said in regards to the NX and Wii U relationship.

“It will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture,” Iwata said. “It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.”

Well HOT beat me to that

Not watched the direct i forgot about it....

Going to watch now, but going in SNES 3DS VC YAY! but then no crossbuy, no discount for already owning them and MORE EXPENSIVE THAN WIIU VC? say what now?

Sorry Nintendo, as much as seeing SNES VC on the New 3DS is great. By not offering a discount for those whom have it on the WiiU at the least isn't favorable for me. It's also more expensive than on the WiiU, which i don't get.

And why haven't Nintendo implemented Cross-buy yet?. Sheesh.

Still otherwise, decent direct.

So there's a chance that technology won't get in the way for NX. If they charge us again and technology is not an excuse it will be gouging plain and simple.

I wasn't that excited by what was shown on the Direct tbh.

I'm so fed up of RPGS. It seems like there's always always always a Japanese RPG in these directs. Bore off!

Though I appreciate some lap that type of game up. :)

Star Fox looked the best it has looked yet, and I liked the dual game pack offer.

Paper Mario not really for me - not been a fan of the recent games, but nice to see it has made its way onto Wii U.

It really feels like it has been pretty barren in terms of releases for both Wii U and 3DS recently. For my gaming needs anyway.

There hasn't been anything that I've been desperate to get my hands on from Nintendo since Mario Kart, and that feels like an age ago now.

I'm definitely looking forward to their next generation anyway. :)

. It's also more expensive than on the WiiU, which i don't get.

I can't believe I never noticed that!! WTF!? That's crazy!

And why haven't Nintendo implemented Cross-buy yet?. Sheesh.

I don't expect that until the NX console/handheld, because with those machines they'll be able to have games run at both with no extra development cost. With Wii U and 3DS, they have to develop them separately (thus significant dev cost) whereas with NX, they'd just work on both by default with no extra effort since they share the same hardware architecture.

Well HOT beat me to that

Not watched the direct i forgot about it....

Going to watch now, but going in SNES 3DS VC YAY! but then no crossbuy, no discount for already owning them and MORE EXPENSIVE THAN WIIU VC? say what now?

DAT N3DS tax!!

Nintendo policy on cross buy really is disgusting...

I bother super Mario world just because i love that game and having it always on me is great.

£7+ though is outrageous.. Pure greed from Nintendo.

Edited by khilafah

Well i'm not overly impressed

the 3DS offerings are amazing, but the WiiU, the poor WiiU its barely on life support now they've got their hands on that plug ready to pull it

Paper Mario scared me, a few seconds in and references to Sticker Star and then the battle was shown, do something with a card and flip it into battle, and does the game consist of only a few character models? only the bucket was new, Toads everywhere.

#FE looked alright but i was kind of disappointed its jap only voice SMT has generally had good english voice dubs

Star Fox i'm still not sold on, it looks better and certainly WiiU quality but i still dislike the control scheme which now more than ever makes it seem like its too cumbersome for one player and needs that second player to use the pad.

3DS wise brilliant stuff! FE special edition will get ordered (don't overly like the 3 way split so on one cart sold it to me), SNES VC seems very good although those prices seriously need a rethink, or a reason for the increased cost (it opens up crossbuy for NX would make it worth while)

Still think Metroid is a crappy looking game, hope it has a demo and i can eat crow

mediocre 6 or7/10 showing but what can i expect the big NX reveal and launch is months away

No cross buy (or at least HEAVILY discounted)? Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

Only on NEW 3DS? Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

What the fuck are they thinking? I swear to god, Nintendo are still the best provider of games bar none, but they continue to have no respect for their costumers. I believe I'm done with digital purchases on Nintendo platforms unless they radically change their approach. I'm starting to feel like I've been throwing my money down the drain on all those VC games I've purchased over the years if this is any indication of what's to come with the NX...

We're due for a massive overhaul when it comes to digital property rights. We need some sort of unified system for digital items to become the norm. Once one has purchased an item, be it audio, video, e-books or games, one should have access to that specific incarnation of the product across any platform it has been or will be released for.

But of course, we're a capitalist society, so our main goals are not efficiency and sustainability but exploitation and profitability.

No cross buy (or at least HEAVILY discounted)? Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

Only on NEW 3DS? Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

What the fuck are they thinking? I swear to god, Nintendo are still the best provider of games bar none, but they continue to have no respect for their costumers. I believe I'm done with digital purchases on Nintendo platforms unless they radically change their approach. I'm starting to feel like I've been throwing my money down the drain on all those VC games I've purchased over the years if this is any indication of what's to come with the NX...

We're due for a massive overhaul when it comes to digital property rights. We need some sort of unified system for digital items to become the norm. Once one has purchased an item, be it audio, video, e-books or games, one should have access to that specific incarnation of the product across any platform it has been or will be released for.

But of course, we're a capitalist society, so our main goals are not efficiency and sustainability but exploitation and profitability.

Only on New 3DS is explainable and has been done above.

No cross buy, I completely agree that it's bullshit.

I'm confused...I emulated SNES games on an 11 year old PSP near perfectly, and what kinks there were with certain games I am sure Nintendo themselves would be able to iron out in their own emulator. Why is this New 3DS only?

3DS is perhaps less powerful than the PSP, once the OS is taken into account?

Doesn't matter anyway - they are too expensive.

3DS is perhaps less powerful than the PSP, once the OS is taken into account?

Doesn't matter anyway - they are too expensive.

Yeah, it's not.

The 3DS's processor is terrible. This is a fact.

Also, there's a difference between fine for you and fine for Nintendo. If there are "kinks", they wouldn't want to put them for sale.

The 3DS's processor is terrible. This is a fact.

Also, there's a difference between fine for you and fine for Nintendo. If there are "kinks", they wouldn't want to put them for sale.

So terrible it can't run SNES games acceptably? Fuck.

Good job the N3DS was exactly the bridge in power that was required then.

I bought the two SNES games today. Mostly to see how they play and also to sort of show some level of support for a potential Mother 3 localisation. Both play great but I dunno how many more I'll be (re-re-re-re)buying before they detail the new account system and confirm the games will be available with no extra cost on the NX.

Fool me five times, Nintendo, shame on me.

So terrible it can't run SNES games acceptably? Fuck.

Good job the N3DS was exactly the bridge in power that was required then.

Emulation is a tricky proposition. It's not a

3DS > PSP > SNES so therefore it must run it. It's completely different architectures and coding.

Emulation is a tricky proposition. It's not a

3DS > PSP > SNES so therefore it must run it. It's completely different architectures and coding.

But if some random programmer can make emulation work this good on PSP, PC, heck, even smartphones, shouldn't a company like Nintendo be able to do a much better job?

But if some random programmer can make emulation work this good on PSP, PC, heck, even smartphones, shouldn't a company like Nintendo be able to do a much better job?

And maybe if Nintendo emulated them on PSP, PC and heck, even smartphones, they would.

The 3DS is not one of those systems. You're oversimplifying the process.

And maybe if Nintendo emulated them on PSP, PC and heck, even smartphones, they would.

The 3DS is not one of those systems. You're oversimplifying the process.

A simple "no" would've sufficed :indeed: