N-Europe

Obscure 3DS Gems

nekunando

The original DS was generally at its best when it was providing games that couldn't really be done on other platforms at the time, such as Elite Beat Agents and Trauma Center: Under the Knife :smile:

There were also plenty of neat little touches in games like Another Code: Two Memories, which I've just realised I desperately want to play again, and The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass :hehe:

I've been slightly disappointed in the 3DS in that I don't feel like there has been as many unique experiences, though perhaps there are some that I'm not currently aware of that may be worth checking out.

With the release date for Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water unveiled, it got me thinking about Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir. I've never played it, and it wasn't particularly well reviewed, but it certainly makes use of the features of the 3DS that means I'm interested in trying it out for myself some day.

Are there other unique games to look out for?

Tough one... Only ones that I think would qualify outside of Spirit Camera are Chibi Robo: Let's go Photo (AR), Aeroporter (Dual Screens), Rhythm Thief (Touch Screen on seperate screen/Gyro controls in some sections) and Tokyo Crash Mobs (Touch screen on seperate screen; 3D is also a big help in judging distances in that game)

In terms of games that really take advantage of the unique hardware features it offers, they're actually generally high profile (like SM3DL, Kirby Triple Deluxe, AR Games, Streetpass Plaza, A Link Between Worlds etc); most of the ones that are lower profile don't really make much use of the unique 3DS hardware (Spirit Camera is a big exception though - and though it didn't do well critically, I actually quite enjoyed it myself :)).

Even something like the Steel Diver games aren't really obscure (though they'd surely count as ones that make good use of the 3DS hardware).

In terms of games that are obscure (but good!) that don't necessarily make use of the 3DS' unique hardware, there's Crimson Shroud, Attack of the Friday Monsters, Hana Samurai, Virtue's Last Reward, Kokuga, Sayonara Umihara Kawase (though the Vita version is better), The Starship Damrey, Bike Rider DX and Bike Rider DX 2.

Everything else is fairly well known. Just a matter of the way the market has changed I suppose as the bottom fell out of it...

Edited by Dcubed

I too, often have this thought around rare and obscure 3DS gems.

Like you say nando, the DS was jam packed full of them. My favourites being Hotel Dusk, Elte Beat Agents, Henry Hatsworth and Super Princess Peach! : peace:

It's such a shame the 3DS hasn't seen this level of third party support. I mean, it's there more than the Wii U, but the DS seemed to have games coming out at least every month for me that I wanted, and I amassed a huge library of games for it. And they were all of great quality.

I've said it before but the 3DS has fallen short for me in terms of game play. The second screen has hardly been used in the unique and innovative ways that the DS used them. IMO.

Another Code and its puzzles that required you to close the the console over to solve it were genius, and could only be done on that hardware which I just loved.

I have a much smaller selection of 3DS games which is mainly because there are no where near as many games out for it (or it certainly feels that way).

I recently bought and played Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir, and I found it to be highly frustrating and difficult to play.

I loved the idea though and really liked how they tried to utilise all of the 3DS' unique functions to make an immersive game. Unfortunately, it feel well short, but what they were trying to achieve was still impressive.

I particularly liked the booklet than came with that acted as the in game diary. Using the camera on the 3DS and having it pointed to the booklet and seeing the page come to life in front of me was really cool. It just didn't work more times than it did, which was frustrating and broke up game play.

It seems to me like the eShop is the place for obscure gems. I know I haven't used the eShop as much as I could / should, but I reckon a lot of people could recommend some titles from there which capture some of what the DS had in retail releases that the 3DS appears to be lacking, but is there albeit in digital format.

Shantae, Jett Rocket, HarmoKnight (a personal favourite), Mighty Switch Force, Nano Assault, Mario and DK, Box Boy, Shovel Knight etc.

Just of the top of my head.

If these were boxed games, my 3DS shelf wouldn't look so barren compared to my DS game shelf. :heh:

One thing Nintendo has in its favour with the 3DS is the support for these kind of titles. Some of them can't be found elsewhere and they utilise the hardware they're being played on really well.

Whilst I'm still disappointed with the 3DS compared to the DS for various reasons, I still think the 3DS is a fantastic console with a hell of a lot of gems to be had. Add the features of the 'new' 3DS to the mix which gives a huge boost to the hardware as well as the amazing retail games on offer and you have one very attractive package right there. : peace:

Dillon's Rolling Western 1 and 2 are definitely the kind of games that are really good, but only if it's your kind of game.

If it doesn't gel with you, you're gonna absolutely hate it, but if it clicks, it is one hell of a game.

Fair warning though, both games are insanely hard. Especially near the end where the odds are are so stacked against you, it looks totally hopeless. I still haven't finished the sequel!

But pull off a difficult level and it's immensely satisfying.

Definitely some of the tensest games I've played on this console.

Also, it has some of the best character design I've seen from a Ninty game in a long time.

251529-Last%20Ranger%20Header.jpg

If you don't think these guys look badass, there's something wrong with you.

EDIT: Also, this scene from the sequel made me so ridiculously nervous. From 3:06 onwards, if you touch the touch screen even slightly before the visual cue, you get shot in the head. My hands were literally shaking a bit first time I did this.

You know, Nintendo games! They're for kids.

SECOND EDIT: Also wanna put in my good word for Crimson Shroud, very fun and stylised RPG!

Edited by Glen-i

In terms of games that are obscure (but good!) that don't necessarily make use of the 3DS' unique hardware, there's Crimson Shroud, Attack of the Friday Monsters, Hana Samurai, Virtue's Last Reward, Kokuga, Sayonara Umihara Kawase (though the Vita version is better), The Starship Damrey, Bike Rider DX and Bike Rider DX 2.

Sayonara Umihara Kawase. Have you played this? I've actually watched the video on the eShop a few times (the most recent being the other day because the eShop recommended it to me) and it looks terrible. Like just downright bad. I've looked at it each time purely because of the title my brain is like, ooh Japanese game. However, since you've mentioned it here, I've just Googled it and this is actually well rated because it has good gameplay. Is it really worth a punt? Fishing line platforming is good fun??

Sayonara Umihara Kawase. Have you played this? I've actually watched the video on the eShop a few times (the most recent being the other day because the eShop recommended it to me) and it looks terrible. Like just downright bad. I've looked at it each time purely because of the title my brain is like, ooh Japanese game. However, since you've mentioned it here, I've just Googled it and this is actually well rated because it has good gameplay. Is it really worth a punt? Fishing line platforming is good fun??

Yeah, it's a great game. Looks naff, plays great!

Virtue's Last Reward is an incredible game. I haven't played any of the others in the series, so I wasn't sure what to expect...

And it blew me away. I keep recommending it to my friends, and no one has bought it! Idiots...

They really are! :-) Brilliant game and follows on nicely from 999. I'm thrilled they're now making another title in the series and I agree it's probably one of more obscure and cult games on the 3DS.

Ever wondered what might happen if you mixed this:

537945-rogue_006.png

With this:

581157-1055391898_00_1_.gif

? The answer:

Obscurity + obscurity!

Good choice! I forgot about that one!

Actually really looking forward to it too! Just annoying that it happens to come out on the same day as Super Mario Maker and Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai... My wallet weeps already.

The Denpa Men? It's fairly obscure and makes use of the camera and WiFi.

See, I'd be tempted to include Denpa Men and Dillon's Rolling Western, but I wouldn't consider them obscure. They're pretty high profile and are probably as well known as the Pullblox games (which is actually another set of games that makes great use of the 3DS' S3D functionality to make the game easier to play).

See, I'd be tempted to include Denpa Men and Dillon's Rolling Western, but I wouldn't consider them obscure. They're pretty high profile and are probably as well known as the Pullblox games (which is actually another set of games that makes great use of the 3DS' S3D functionality to make the game easier to play).

I may have made a mistake in putting 'Obscure' in the title as I basically wanted to see if there were any great 3DS games that make use of the features of the system that I perhaps wasn't aware of :red:

Still not sure if anything that has been mentioned would really resonate worth me..

I may have made a mistake in putting 'Obscure' in the title as I basically wanted to see if there were any great 3DS games that make use of the features of the system that I perhaps wasn't aware of :red:

Still not sure if anything that has been mentioned would really resonate worth me..

Ohhhh I'm a right durbrain :p

In that case, in addition to the ones I mentioned earlier, you've got the Etrian Odyssey games that make great use of the touch screen for drawing your own maps, Kirby Triple Deluxe which makes great use of 3D and motion controls, the two Dillon's Rolling Western games for their touch screen controls, the Denpa Men games for their use of WiFi hotspots and AR, the two Steel Diver games for their novel controls and premise (plus you actually get to communicate with other players in morse code, which is cool as hell!), Theatrhythm for its novel touch screen controls, Tetris 3DS for its really cool AR mode (there's a couple of AR game modes where you have a cylendrical Tetris board and you have to physically walk around it IRL to play!), Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance which makes good use of the touch screen/two screens in certain places throughout, Hydroventure Spin Cycle for its 360 degree motion gameplay, Mario & Luigi Dream Team for its touch screen and gyro controls in battles and the various SEGA 3D Classics for the touch and motion controls implemented in certain games (Super Hang On in particular does a great job with them to replicate the original physical motorbike controls! :D )

Otherwise you have other very well known ones like Kid Icarus Uprising, AR Games/Face Raiders, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Super Mario 3D Land, but chances are that you already know about them. There's some great uses of Streetpass in other games as well that might not use other functions of the 3DS much, like Shovel Knight or Animal Crossing New Leaf, so if you're interested in Streetpass, it's a feature that is pretty well represented across the 3DS library in general.

Has anyone mentioned the Chibi Robo Photo Finder game. I haven't played it, there is a free demo to download from the eShop to try it out, and it utilises the camera functionality in a fun way.

Yeah, I did earlier. Still I definately second it again though. No reason to not at least give the demo a try!

Edited by Dcubed

I had demos of The Denpa Men and Chibi Robo on my 3DS but I seem to have deleted them without ever trying them out so they're downloading now :heh:

I'm actually still quite interested in trying out Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir and I've been close to purchasing the original Steel Diver on a number of occasions due to the extremely low price!

Come to think of it, I haven't played with the AR cards for a while so I may get them out for a blast :grin: I never finished Face Raiders, either!