Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

64 is also pre-retirement age. So it's basically going to be less than 50% smartphone ownership for 65+ (probably much less as this also includes the very old). And lower still for those who actually play F2P games on them, lol.

This whole point has been overblown anyway, which was this - films have a far bigger reach, more people watch films, etc.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there's a chance of a GTA V port, but Red Dead is a possibility if the NX is of comparable power to the other consoles. I thinkI'd actually prefer there to be no EA games at launch, the likes of FIFA and Madden aren't likely to sell very well for a console launching in March/April as those who are interested in playing them are likely to buy them for Xbox and Playstation when they launch in September. Even launching on the Wii U a couple of months after FIFA 13 on the 360 and PS3 was detrimental to sales and was one of the reasons why EA pulled support for the system. I'd much prefer to see EA support the NX with a proper port of FIFA 18 next September than a gimped version of FIFA 17 at launch.

Dammit Gibs you didn't even have the decency to get the man's name right!

(tbh I quoted this thinking text was actually added below the image due to its perfect fit, so it's not as funny for me thinking you can just edit your post rather than an image :( )

:facepalm:

god damn

The leaks are interesting, but that video is bad. Mr confirmation bias - the rumors that don't align with what I think I'm not going to believe, the ones that do I'm using as evidence as to why I think what I do.... Then saying in some ways Wii u online is worse than Xbox because *some* games in Xbox have invites and online and *some* on Wii u don't... Pretty stupid argument, and unseeded when no one would say Wii u is any good.

DQ X confirmed for NX

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/08/08/dragon-quest-10-confirmed-for-nintendo-nx

Speaking to Famitsu (as translated for us by Daniel Robson of IGN Japan), Dragon Quest X producer Yosuke Saito mentioned the PS4 and NX ports of the MMO in response to a question about server load on the current Wii, Wii U, and Windows versions of the game.

"I think there will be an influx of new players that peaks with the launch of the PS4 and NX editions", said Saito. "Up until then, rather than the incoming new players, we are doing our best for the people who are playing already."

Edited by liger05

Going head to head with PS4 on online...? Could it indicate a refreshing robust online setup for Nintendo? That's still the absolute killer clinch on this system for me.

I wouldn't take much from this - DQX was also on Wii and Wii U, and neither required/had any sort of sophisticated online setup.

http://nintendoeverything.com/bethesda-on-potential-nx-support-definitely-something-we-will-look-at/

Pete Hines, vice-president of Bethesda:

“We talk to Nintendo all the time – we’re pretty well briefed in on what they are doing. It’s definitely something we will look at; and our philosophy is that we will put our games out on any format that supports the games as we envisage and make them. If the NX fits that from a technical standpoint, and fits the game that a developer in our stable is making, I don’t see why we would not put it out on NX. But it’s too early to say, ‘we’ll definitely be putting games out or not.’ Like with mobile, we want to have the right fit for the right formats.”

Good to hear they at least communicate but it's another wait and see approach. If the platform sells it has a chance.

Quite the difference on what he said about the Wii U:

"The time for convincing publishers and developers to support Wii U has long passed," Hines said. "The box is out."

"You have to do what Sony and Microsoft has been doing with us for a long time," he added. "And it's not that every time we met with them we got all the answers we wanted, but they involved us very early on and talked to folks like Bethesda and Gearbox [sic] and saying, 'here's what we're doing, here's what we're planning, here's how we think it's going to work.' To hear what we thought, from our tech guys and from an experience standpoint, what we thought.

"You have to spend an unbelievable amount of time up front doing that. If you're going to just decide, 'we're going to make a box, and this is how it's going to work and you should make games for it,' well, no. No is my answer."

You do hope Nintendo have spoke to developers/publishers all the way through with the NX.

Edited by liger05

I wouldn't take much from this - DQX was also on Wii and Wii U, and neither required/had any sort of sophisticated online setup.

Right you both are! I am not familiar with the series and assumed it was the next one despite knowing in the back of my mind DQX had already happened. As liger said though could be indicative of future things(but imo still possibly too early days to really say).

@liger05 I think the typical 'we communicate with them' phrases developers use are not enough - if they were serious something will be in the pipeline already, so I don't read too much into those.

The main driving force of the NX will be the grunt of the first party games and launch window, and the success of it opening paths to future ports. But for the first year or so I def see this as a Nintendo party... But that's fine with me, if the rumours are true and see the following in the first year: Mario, Pokémon (Gamefreak), Pikmin and Zelda (throw in a racer or online sport title) - It will be a great 2017.

The main driving force of the NX will be the grunt of the first party games and launch window, and the success of it opening paths to future ports. But for the first year or so I def see this as a Nintendo party... But that's fine with me, if the rumours are true and see the following in the first year: Mario, Pokémon (Gamefreak), Pikmin and Zelda (throw in a racer or online sport title) - It will be a great 2017.

While this is totally fine with me, it still comes back to the same problem Nintendo had with the Wii U, in that their titles alone aren't enough to bring people on board. If masses see that the console is just a Nintendo machine and they can't play their EA games or the next GTA on it then I can see history repeating itself.

If the NX is to be a Nintendo box then they need to make it cheap and market it as a companion console, much like they done with the Wii.

While this is totally fine with me, it still comes back to the same problem Nintendo had with the Wii U, in that their titles alone aren't enough to bring people on board. If masses see that the console is just a Nintendo machine and they can't play their EA games or the next GTA on it then I can see history repeating itself.

If the NX is to be a Nintendo box then they need to make it cheap and market it as a companion console, much like they done with the Wii.

Do you think the presumed increase in volume of first party titles with it being one platform will be more appealing? And say Zelda as a launch title instead of Nintendoland, and maybe a "proper" epic 3D Mario rather than NSMB U or even 3D World (though I loved it and wouldn't swap it for anything, it wasn't the Mario people wanted) - think, even though principally it seems to be following the Wii u, these changes could make a difference?

Do you think the presumed increase in volume of first party titles with it being one platform will be more appealing? And say Zelda as a launch title instead of Nintendoland, and maybe a "proper" epic 3D Mario rather than NSMB U or even 3D World (though I loved it and wouldn't swap it for anything, it wasn't the Mario people wanted) - think, even though principally it seems to be following the Wii u, these changes could make a difference?

In all honesty, no, I don't think they'll make much of a difference.

I think it'll sell better than the WiiU but that's only because it's a handheld(/hybrid)... it'd be fairer to equate sales to the 3DS.

With correct marketing it could better 3DS sales, but I'm mindful that it may not quite do that.

I'm not really sure. Many would say that we would simply be getting more of the same stuff, except it's just on a single console now, rather than being split across two. This would obviously help in stopping the stupidly frequent droughts we have seen in recent generations but i'm not sure it would get doubters on board.

I feel the issue with this is that, while Nintendo games appeal to myself, there are many that are still turned off by the look of them. Giving people more of these games isn't going to get them on excited about the console. What they need to do is diversify and get a broader range of games on their system. If 3rd parties aren't going to show up then it's up to Nintendo to pave the way forward and fill in the genres that are missing from their library.

I actually think yes, because those titles are very good initial system sellers. The problem is - they need to be good titles to hold interest for potential buyers down the line. I still remember the N64 - even months(maybe years?) after its launch - it was still selling with two of the original launch games of MK64 and SM64. They were great and somewhat revolutionary/fresh games at the time. Personally, barring Smash, the Gamecube launched with a slightly weaker line-up of launch games but still there seemed enough to hold interest for consumers over time(Smash did a very good job riding its own and previous success, something we still see to today with the competitive scene).

Which anyway brings me to the point I was about to post to make anyway - if the rumours are right about this being a handheld on the go and a dockable at home - then I think(as I did say previously) a brand new/fresh Monster Hunter than takes advantage of that will be a massive system seller in the East and maybe even the West too. A remake could possibly even cut it, but it'd have to not be MH3 as that's been done via Wii/WiiU/3DS already.

Imagine the marketing potential - play hunts on the go whilst out and about, befriend people, and then play at home online for bigger hunts or something(maybe) exclusive to the home docking aspect. Ofc, it requires a realiable and robust online(and yes, with VC), but social's where it's at now and a Monster Hunter on launch could really do a good job of showcasing some of that given what MH3 did on 3DS/WiiU. Again some sort of exclusive mobile data/on-the-go network to help you find people nearby could really help this along. Imagine you're waiting for a train or something and find out someone nearby has the system and same game as you - it's almost what Pokemon Go's doing right now, and you can befriend or meet some really cool people potentially. Ofc it also has potential for you to meet equally uncool people - but we're in a very digital and social age, and that would really bring the system into the current consciousness in such a way I genuinely think it'd sell the shit out of it.

Edited by Rummy

I think the two things that differentiate the Wii U and NX - will be the price point and the girth of first party titles.

Nintendo makes it clear that they are not in that mainstream console race, so I'm no longer expecting an outstanding third party support - but the support will still come if the first party games make the NX a success.

With the Wii U, disregarding the failed gamepad ethos, it was the software for me that made the console unattractive - No Zelda Wii U, no 'true' 3D Mario, no Pokémon, lack of online in a lot of games, the early drought and the over-representation of platformers. Theres also dodgy decisions of removing battle mode from Mario Kart and delaying Pikmin 3 beyond the launch window even though it was probably ready.

So far the NX looks like it may alleviate the software volume issue - only things that need to hit the mark in my view are marketing and price point.

Have to say I'm liking Nintendo's idea of blitzing the first year with its first party line.

Edited by King_V

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!