Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

Nintendo keep emphasising NX is a new way to play and is not a replacement for Wii U/3DS and whilst this is probably BS it got me wondering, with their current lean towards mobile gaming could they treat NX like a mobile phone purchase and give the system away but tied in to a 2 year contract.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nintendo keep emphasising NX is a new way to play and is not a replacement for Wii U/3DS and whilst this is probably BS it got me wondering, with their current lean towards mobile gaming could they treat NX like a mobile phone purchase and give the system away but tied in to a 2 year contract.

That'd not be a new way to play though.

That'd be a new way to pay

Hmm, that's an interesting idea... It wouldn't be the first time a console manufacturer has done it though. Microsoft did the same thing in the US with the 360 for the last few years of its life. Can't really remember how well that went though.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea... It wouldn't be the first time a console manufacturer has done it though. Microsoft did the same thing in the US with the 360 for the last few years of its life. Can't really remember how well that went though.

Yeah I dont think I ever heard how that went. Difficult one to gauge as well as they only sold those consoles through select Microsoft stores.

There were a lot of rumours before the Xbox One was released that it would have been a contract console but obviously nothing ever came of that.

Online and Virtual Console.

Just offer a separate service similar to what Sony does?

Offering a contract from the get go where you have the console and also online/virtual console for a monthly fee which is tied for 2 years would likely result in the requirement of a credit check. This is a barrier.

I also don't see what benefit there is from getting a contract for the start.

Just offer a separate service similar to what Sony does?

Offering a contract from the get go where you have the console and also online/virtual console for a monthly fee which is tied for 2 years would likely result in the requirement of a credit check. This is a barrier.

I also don't see what benefit there is from getting a contract for the start.

I agree, was just spit-balling.

To be fair, the main thought behind having a contract has been that consoles are getting more and more expensive as they get more powerful and not everyone can afford to buy one at the full price so for those people getting it on contract could be quite attractive.

To be fair, the main thought behind having a contract has been that consoles are getting more and more expensive as they get more powerful and not everyone can afford to buy one at the full price so for those people getting it on contract could be quite attractive.

The market already caters for this:

-Brighthouse

-Catalogues ie Littlewoods

-Credit cards

-overdrafts

I think Nintendo offering credit for people to buy their consoles does not make business sense. Its a risky financial venture when there are adequate financual services to pay for things by instalments anyway

They said the same about DS. It's just a way of sugar-coating it for people.

It's a way to shift big numbers. How many people would buy an iPhone for £600. By selling it for £25 per month it becomes instantly affordable. They need to do big numbers early on to ensure the 3rd parties don't leave AGAIN. Plus it opens the door for a subscription service.

It's a way to shift big numbers. How many people would buy an iPhone for £600. By selling it for £25 per month it becomes instantly affordable. They need to do big numbers early on to ensure the 3rd parties don't leave AGAIN. Plus it opens the door for a subscription service.

Believe it or not but many iphones are bought outright.

People still use credit options like a credit card or apple finance.

Selling a console on a contract sounds ridiculous and would have no bearing on whether the product sells or not.

If people want something they find the way to buy as that's was desirable products do. One way or another people find the money.

People wouldn't sign up for some contract if they thought the console was a piece of crap.

The wii u bombed out of the gate and no 2 year contract option would of changed that.

It's up to Nintendo to ensure they sell many units meaning releasing the right product.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/amd-announced-199-vr-ready-graphics-card/0167761

Dreaming I know, but generally speaking that GPU should be available to Nintendo for about $130... I don't know what CPU they would need to make the most out of that GPU, nor memory chips, what internal storage they'd be looking at etc... but I wonder if this has something to do with the delay? weren't there rumours about AMD getting a chipset ready for the NX (or a console that was inferred to be the NX??)

5 tera flops would be a rather pleasant step up from the Wii U, to say the least.

While I'm not sure this should be the only way to get hold of an NX, I really do think this is an interresting idea. There's definitely a trend towards subscribing to services instead of owning stuff. Spotify and Netflix are slowly killing physical media, while Elon Musk envisions people ordering rides from community owned autonomous cars. It would be intriguing to pay a monthly fee and have infinite access to every single game available for the system, where devs would earn a percentage depending on how much time players spend on their games.

I however don't agree with Musks claims that noone will own cars anymore. Some people will feel willing to pay the price for the benefits of actually owning a car (hygiene, the ability to keep your stuff in the car around the clock, not having to wait for a car to get to you if there's noone nearby etc), and I think it's going to be the same for consoles.

A technology I was super hyped over a few years ago was OnLive, which was a game streaming service. What if the NX will either be a physical console, for those with slow internet and who want to own their games forever, as well as a controller which you plug in to your PC/Smart TV/Tablet, and gives you access to streamed games?

Regardless of whether it's a subscription or not I just get the feeling Nintendo are leaning towards a Nintendo version of an Android type device.

They showed with Wii U that they thought tablets were the way forward and now they are launching apps on Andriod. You can throw games from your phone to a tv now and I think the next progression is rather than a phone that can play games albeit rather awkwardly is a dedicated game system. I think that Starfox cartoon will be pretty close to what the NX will be. I also wouldn't be at all surprised it also supports Android so can be used for all the apps people already have.

Whatever it is - It REALLY should have been announced around now/E3 - I'm losing interest and I'm getting bored of speculating.

This happened to me ages ago.

I think they've handled this in a pretty rough manner. Not showing up to E3? Fair enough but they could have at given everyone a date and location of when they will announce the thing. Throw us a bone, Nintendo! This would have softened the blow a lot.

All the rumours of its power and features may have hurt it in the long run. If it doesn't live up to the expectations of what people have in their minds then they have already lost a battle right there. Granted, it's not Nintendo's fault if people have wild expectations but it doesn't change the fact that there hasn't been a sniff of real NX news from Nintendo themselves.

I'm still very dubious whether the thing will actually launch in March. I wouldn't be surprised if that was said just to keep the investors/shareholders off their backs.

I'm still very dubious whether the thing will actually launch in March. I wouldn't be surprised if that was said just to keep the investors/shareholders off their backs.

I can easily see it being pushed to Winter 2017 - reason being from Nintendo "so we can launch with more games". :indeed:

The annoying thing is the Zelda situation, as it seems to being pushed back due to the NX. Shambles.

I can easily see it being pushed to Winter 2017 - reason being from Nintendo "so we can launch with more games". :indeed:

The annoying thing is the Zelda situation, as it seems to being pushed back due to the NX. Shambles.

Be fair. You can't call it a shambles just because of a hypothetical delay.

There's no evidence of a further delay.

Be fair. You can't call it a shambles just because of a hypothetical delay.

There's no evidence of a further delay.

I think he was saying it appears that Zelda was pushed back to coincide with the NX launch in March and that's the shambles, rather than the hypothetical delay to winter 2017.

^ That Serebii...

Big game in "gets delayed" shocker. Happens everywhere, on all platforms, with pretty much every big tentpole game.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!