NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

They speak the truth.

Indeed.

@Pestneb while he does state that the issue also happens with the other two platformer holders, he also states that Nintendo need every developer they can get at this point and he's right. Again, Nintendo need them more than the indies need Nintendo.

If the NX turns out to be just another Nintendo box again, I'm not sure where that is going to leave them, especially if their new feature/gimmick fails to capture the expanded audience.

Tbh it's not insane to me. Big developers who have been around some time and have a reputation are a little more reliable than a small developer who hasn't been through console launches before.

So it makes some sense to trust them with information somewhat further down the line than a bigger developer.

Or as an alternative take - bigger developers can deal with the potential fallout of breaking an NDA better (be that financially or relationship wise) whereas smaller developers will be more keen to keep in everyone's good books.

It's all a matter of perspective ;)

Indeed.

@Pestneb while he does state that the issue also happens with the other two platformer holders, he also states that Nintendo need every developer they can get at this point and he's right. Again, Nintendo need them more than the indies need Nintendo.

If the NX turns out to be just another Nintendo box again, I'm not sure where that is going to leave them, especially if their new feature/gimmick fails to capture the expanded audience.

True, it is an opportunity to be better than the others ergo more attractive.

Thing is, having too many games can result in games being lost in the crowd.

Nintendo may be rewarding indie developers who have been more involved with the Wii U already.. Shin'en as an example, or yacht games. Rather than indiscriminately supporting indies simply because they want to develop games, supporting those who supported Nintendo already this gen...

Or as an alternative take - bigger developers can deal with the potential fallout of breaking an NDA better (be that financially or relationship wise) whereas smaller developers will be more keen to keep in everyone's good books.

It's all a matter of perspective ;)

True, but then the decision is probably based on risk vs reward. Larger developers have a greater potential output, and an individual employer is of lower importance to the employer - the employee values their stable job more than the employer values the unique talents of the employee.. so breaking an NDA and being found out is likely to see you out the door...no?

Whereas an indie booting out a member of staff is going to have a larger impact, not just in terms of % of employees lost, but morale as well (Obviously I imagine EA employees already being pretty souless :P)

True, it is an opportunity to be better than the others ergo more attractive.

Nintendo may be rewarding indie developers who have been more involved with the Wii U already.. Shin'en as an example, or yacht games. Rather than indiscriminately supporting indies simply because they want to develop games, supporting those who supported Nintendo already this gen...

I'm not sure Nintendo even know what that's like. :D

While there's no doubt Nintendo will be rewarding those who have worked with them in the past, but from the sounds of it they are leaving others completely in the dark.

It's not just a dev kit issue but more of a communication one. It's about treating each developer with a level of respect, no matter if they've developed for you or not. Doing this to indie developers may sour them on Nintendo in the future and they may simply take their business elsewhere.

This may be a problem for the individual developer, but for Nintendo in the role of a console manufacturer and their consumer, it's not.

The situation that's most desirable (yet again, for console manufacturer Nintendo and consumers) is that the NX receives so many amazing exclusives from all kinds of different genres that no player can possibly feel like they've bought everything they want for the system.

Of course nigh-on impossible.

Plus only supporting those that have supported Wii U is a bit unfair. Devs may not have had the resources to port to Wii U or may simply not have existed!

There are some more rumours, from an apparently solid source called 'Geno' who in the past has provided legit info on the PS4 and Xbox One, but obviously take it with a pinch of salt but it sounds interesting.

http://dualpixels.com/2016/02/27/rumor-new-information-on-next-gen-nintendo-nx-console/

The most exciting thing is obviously the apparent ease of development and porting from other consoles. The wireless HDMI dongle coming with the console is interesting, but I hope they still include an HDMI port.

The wireless HDMI dongle coming with the console is interesting, but I hope they still include an HDMI port.

That's the most interesting thing for me :P wires are a pain, the fewer the better! with something like HDMI sending sound and image, the amount of data being sent is a known, the tv (and console, assuming it is a home console) won't move relative to each other so that's not a factor.

If true I just hope they have a signal strength monitor at least at the setup stage.

I also wonder if this could be used to hook up to a tv in another room.. so I could have a hard wired connection in my room, and a wireless one to the lounge...(signal strength allowing of course).

That would allow for me playing in either room without the hassle of moving the whole console or being forced to use the tiny screen in one of the rooms...

And if that is possible if they could allow multiplayer games with one player on the upstairs screen and another on the downstairs one... (I know it didn't work out so great with the Wii U.. but maybe they've boosted the gamepad tech further than just HD...?

There are some more rumours, from an apparently solid source called 'Geno' who in the past has provided legit info on the PS4 and Xbox One, but obviously take it with a pinch of salt but it sounds interesting.

http://dualpixels.com/2016/02/27/rumor-new-information-on-next-gen-nintendo-nx-console/

The most exciting thing is obviously the apparent ease of development and porting from other consoles. The wireless HDMI dongle coming with the console is interesting, but I hope they still include an HDMI port.

Good stuff there - if they really putting the love and energy into this console as they did with the NES/SNES I'll back Nintendo all the way.

Firstly, hearing that they say "For Iwata!" at the end of each meeting concerning the NX is one of the best things I've ever heard about a game company. He will forever be sorely missed, and Nintendo, despite apparent major shifts internally, look to the future more as a cohesive unit as opposed to individual components.

Secondly, if even only a few things that the source outlines is on the NX, it sounds great. This is sure to be a great year for Nintendo!

I love your enthusiasm Julius Caesar! You're a great addition to the forums.

We could possibly start hearing more info in a couple of weeks as it's the GDC on March 14th.

I love your enthusiasm Julius Caesar!

Not a sentence I ever thought I'd see.

So it's basically like a reverse Wii U? A handheld that can wirelessly beam video to a TV?

Actually sounds believable! Wireless HDMI is indeed a thing, has been in development for a while and we know that the NX is based off the Wii U architecture; so the pieces do indeed fit! :D

Haptic controllers sound cool, BUT... They also seem rather unlike Nintendo in that they have moving parts that can be broken... Nintendo take durability super seriously as we all know (hell it's one of the main reasons why they have refused to include HDD storage in their consoles for two gens on the trot now!); so it does call into question how they plan to tackle that...

So it's basically like a reverse Wii U? A handheld that can wirelessly beam video to a TV?

Actually sounds believable! Wireless HDMI is indeed a thing, has been in development for a while and we know that the NX is based off the Wii U architecture; so the pieces do indeed fit! :D

Problem is that it's contrary to what Iwata has described NX as being. That's the whole hybrid thing again which Iwata shot down.

Edited by Serebii

Problem is that it's contrary to what Iwata has described NX as being. That's the whole hybrid thing again which Iwata shot down.

We've been through this. You said he actively said it wasn't a hybrid. I said get a quote, you couldn't find one. A hybrid absolutely fits with what he said.

That actually sounds very exciting.

Bluetooth headphones on a Nintendo device, at last!!!

Answering phone calls, I don't believe one bit.

Edited by liger05

Can your quote the bit you mean? Too busy(lazy) to find what you mean.

Q 5

You have explained your concern about users being divided by hardware. Currently, you have both a handheld device business and a home console business. I would like to know whether the organizational changes that took place last year are going to lead to, for example, the integration of handheld devices and home consoles into one system over the medium term, or a focus on cost saving and the improvement of resource efficiency in the medium run. Please also explain if you still have room to reduce research and development expenses.

In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase.

So I see this bit:

Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated.
as the no it's not a hybrid part...

Though I only skim read so maybe I misunderstood...

the rest is here:

Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.

I agree, sounds good.. just have to wait to see what it actually is though.

I actually think the phone bit sounds believable enough, but maybe to help you believe:

It will be Nintendo's answer to system voice chat. It will only work semi reliably with Panasonic phones. Once you have used a credit card on the eShop to verify you are 18.

Is that more believable?

Edited by Pestneb
Automerged Doublepost

Like @Pestneb - I don't think these features are so far-fetched. Like my Fitbit relaying my call and text message info purely from Bluetooth. And if they are going to embrace new tech, I can see this feature as something distinct from the competition that Nintendo would like to promote.

Like @PestnebI can see this feature as something distinct from the competition that Nintendo would like to promote.

If it is popular I don't see it being distinct for very long...

However, with the move into the mobile market, it could be a neat little way of recapturing some of that casual audience. Maybe even non-casual.

So I have a tiny idea...

Lets just say I am friends with King V on my Wii U (are we? not sure :D)

I am on my Wii U, but King V is sat watching crappy tv

King V has a Nintendo Network app and is connected to wifi.

The app flags him as online. Through the app I can message him asking if he wants to play a game.

On my side the app shows me games I have that match King V's library and offers suggestions of games we could enjoy together.

I select the game that appeals to me, app sends a message asking King V if he would like to join me.

King V suggests a different game he would prefer...

I agree...

the app automatically switches on King V's Wii U and both our consoles load up the specified game.

We both switch on voice chat and set up a multiplayer game.

Lets just say I am friends with King V on my Wii U (are we? not sure :D)

I am on my Wii U, but King V is sat watching crappy tv

King V has a Nintendo Network app and is connected to wifi.

The app flags him as online. Through the app I can message him asking if he wants to play a game.

So basically like the Playstation/Xbox apps that you can get on your phone now then? :D