NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Haven't someone just wrapped aluminium foil around a slightly expanded (probably broken) Classic Controller?

Funnily enough that's basically what I expect the handheld to be.

I do suspect that they'd use this type of screen on both their console and their handheld, but I can't see them ditching the clamshell design for their handheld. The screen is exposed! Durability is one of Nintendo's biggest priorities when it comes to their handhelds and I can't see them going back to having screens being exposed to potential damage...

I suppose they could always bundle a case of sorts, or maybe have a slidable cover, but no way will they just leave it uncovered (likewise, they would stick with circle pads rather than sticks because the former are damaged and broken far too easily when put in people's pockets...)

I do suspect that they'd use this type of screen on both their console and their handheld, but I can't see them ditching the clamshell design for their handheld. The screen is exposed! Durability is one of Nintendo's biggest priorities when it comes to their handhelds and I can't see them going back to having screens being exposed to potential damage...

I suppose they could always bundle a case of sorts, or maybe have a slidable cover, but no way will they just leave it uncovered (likewise, they would stick with circle pads rather than sticks because the former are damaged and broken far too easily when put in people's pockets...)

2DS?

I sort of agree though. Not entirely on the durability front but on the fact that the Clamshell design is very good IMO.

It doesn't even make sense, if that's the screen, developers now have to design their games so there's nothing important on either side where there sticks will be? I know nintendo love pushing third parties away but even they're not that stupid.

2DS?

I sort of agree though. Not entirely on the durability front but on the fact that the Clamshell design is very good IMO.

Or any handheld since before the DS?! And it's not like Vitas get destroyed... Bizarre logic for dismissing it.

It just requires a £1 screen cover (the type of thin film that you'd put on your mobile). It's not an issue really.

Most phone screens don't even need a cover anymore, and they're dealing with a much more abusive environment.

Is there anybody who really thinks this is real?

Looks so fake and cheap, it's not even funny.

It better be fake. Not feeling that at all

The sticks would probably protect the screen if it was dropped anyway.

Hope it's fake. Like @dazzybee said, having the sticks inside the action makes zero sense, nor does the shape of the screen for that matter. There's a reason screens are rectangular.

Is there anybody who really thinks this is real?

Looks so fake and cheap, it's not even funny.

It's so bad that I fear it may just be real..

The idea in theory is sound, only modular sticks on a form fit screen which allows virtual buttons with haptive feedback, however the shame is really odd, a more rectangular design and some actual rear ergonomic grips would be beneficial

If it turns out to be anything it could have been an early prototype, but its far more likely to be fake, based around that patent a few months back.

Rosti on Gaf posted This, seems he is a relatively trusted industry insider

Its in Hex and backwards

-"this should not have been exposed"

Not sure what to make of that, people are taking it as confirmation it is real to some degree

more mock ups from reddit

0hBK0Ie.jpg

Edited by Agent Gibbs

The idea in theory is sound, only modular sticks on a form fit screen which allows virtual buttons with haptive feedback, however the shame is really odd, a more rectangular design and some actual rear ergonomic grips would be beneficial

If it turns out to be anything it could have been an early prototype, but its far more likely to be fake, based around that patent a few months back.

Rosti on Gaf posted This, seems he is a relatively trusted industry insider

Its in Hex and backwards

-"this should not have been exposed"

Not sure what to make of that, people are taking it as confirmation it is real to some degree

:/ if this is real I'm hoping it is as you said, an early prototype.

I'm not bothered by the screen covered by hands so much, if it works like the gamepad on the wii U it should be fine, developers choose what goes where on a screen and I doubt they would think it a good idea to hide critical info under there, but they could choose to decorate the pad as they see fit...

but still kinda.. well.. yeah :blank:

maybe the buttons themselves have screens on them.... kinda hoping for that (although I really don't see that being the case :D )

If this is real then there's no way the 3rd party situation will improve, because I can't see any ports coming to this device with a screen like that.

Or maybe there will be many 3rd party exclusives as developers only develop for this with no ports to other consoles in mind ;)

Anyway, I still think/hope it's a hoax.

It will be the controller only, so all they need it to emulate the main screen on the game pad like they did with WiiU, the OS will likely emulate the buttons required on the face but i'm guessing here, it seems like its intended as a traditional controller sized WiiU Gamepad

The detectives over at gaf found the image on the prototype controller

at around the 6 second mark, so would suggest the system is outputting this at 63fps running at at least benchmark levels for the engine

The prototype showed snap on grips for this design and could opt to only display in the centre of the pad - if so the area under the buttons is akin to having multiple display support on a PC - just extra viewspace

y8b3Lf8.png

Strangely the info and detective work is intriguing me enough where i'm open and slightly excited if this is the pad, reminds me of some of the mock ups people on here did of redesigned WiiU pads

Edited by Agent Gibbs

It will be the controller only, so all they need it to emulate the main screen on the game pad like they did with WiiU, the OS will likely emulate the buttons required on the face but i'm guessing here, it seems like its intended as a traditional controller sized WiiU Gamepad

The detectives over at gaf found the image on the prototype controller

at around the 6 second mark, so would suggest the system is outputting this at 63fps running at at least benchmark levels for the engine

The prototype showed snap on grips for this design and could opt to only display in the centre of the pad - if so the area under the buttons is akin to having multiple display support on a PC - just extra viewspace

y8b3Lf8.png

Strangely the info and detective work is intriguing me enough where i'm open and slightly excited if this is the pad, reminds me of some of the mock ups people on here did of redesigned WiiU pads

My concern is the lack of inputs and how the patent showed that inputs can be added...as touch screen inputs which I am not alright with.

The worrying for me is Nintendo have form for gimmick controllers so could be true.

Fuck me, we all know this will be real or at least an early prototype.

This will do nothing to help get third parties on board.

It will do nothing to win back the wider audience who found the Wii accessible.

It will do nothing to win the core gamer who will think it's just another gimmick.

It will do nothing to keep the cost of the system down.

It will do nothing to improve the quality of the games.

It will do nothing to improve the quality of the way the controller works.

Ultimately, it will be another white elephant! A pointless, expensive, off putting gimmick that will actually be another nail in the coffin of Nintendo. At least with the Wii U I could see the way the Gamepad could improve games - off screen maps, off screen play and inventories that didn't need menus. This is just a total piece of shit.

Oh and virtual buttons - FUCK OFF!

I couldn't put it better myself @Zechs Merquise

It just looks awkward. If it is that then more likely than not the consumer will be put off.

I really hope its not this. If it is you have to wonder why there has been no one at Nintendo that has said hang on a sec...

I'm starting to worry that this is real... using a generic like Unreal engine is smart, makes it less traceable. The one positive maybe is 63 fps doesn't sound terrible... to be capable of that where would the console place alongside PS4/X1?

Also.. and I am trying to be positive here, we could be surprised in a positive way. It's a possibility.

having touchscreen buttons is off putting for me, how would they be sensitive enough for a light press to register? how easy might it be to touch a button you don't want to press? so yes... I am uneasy right now, but this is an image without description... I hope that there is sense in this...

and another part still hopes "hoax".

Well, it's different, I'll give them that.

If Nintendo want to win E3 it looks like they could do it just by revealing that controller.

Well, it's different, I'll give them that.

If Nintendo want to win E3 it looks like they could do it just by revealing that controller.

If winning E3 is about who gets the most column inches, then definitely.

Fuck me, we all know this will be real or at least an early prototype.

This will do nothing to help get third parties on board.

It will do nothing to win back the wider audience who found the Wii accessible.

It will do nothing to win the core gamer who will think it's just another gimmick.

It will do nothing to keep the cost of the system down.

It will do nothing to improve the quality of the games.

It will do nothing to improve the quality of the way the controller works.

Ultimately, it will be another white elephant! A pointless, expensive, off putting gimmick that will actually be another nail in the coffin of Nintendo. At least with the Wii U I could see the way the Gamepad could improve games - off screen maps, off screen play and inventories that didn't need menus. This is just a total piece of shit.

Oh and virtual buttons - FUCK OFF!

Those reasons listed are why I'm convinced it's not real.

Contrary to what some here think, Nintendo aren't stupid. They don't just do things to be different. They do things because they believe it will enhance/change gaming. They may make some errors in how things are presented/done as with the Wii U, but they're not going to make a product that is just stupid

Though they will never win the core gamer over who just complains about gimmicks. Those gamers often forget that today's standards were yesterday's gimmicks.

Edited by Serebii

I can't get my head around the shape! Does anybody have any idea why it would be designed this way? I just don't understand.. real or not.. ::shrug: