NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I have not felt the need to buy a Wii U, and yet before that I'd been quick to snap up any Nintendo console... bought the N64, Gamecube, Wii, Gameboy, GBC, DS original, DS, 3DS.

For me it's the way Nintendo are using their franchises at the moment. Whilst some are being flat out ignored (and I've stated my disappointment on this numerous times), others I feel are being/beginning to feel cheapened.

Over the generations Paper Mario should have evolved into something like Tearaway by now, but it's barely changed.

StarFox should now be something more akin to Strike Vector EX, but it's still very much the same game.

Mario Tennis, Golf, Party, instead of being refined are becoming gimmicky messes.

I appreciate that Mario comes out each generation and tries something new (even if I wasn't a fan of the latest attempt, or chubby art style), and whilst I was one of the few who loved Skyward Sword, it's great to see the next Zelda going all out.

In a way I agree with this. It started with the Wii when I guess they focused too much on the new audience... the new starfox.. I want to be excited about, I want to enjoy it.. and I hope it turns out being a splatoon or mk8 (minus battle mode) for me, but overall Nintendo are falling a bit flat.

The Wii U is a good console, and I like it, unlike the Wii, but these last few games.. Starfox, Zelda... they need to get me excited for NX, otherwise I'll probably end up sitting out and waiting for a great bargain price before I jump for the NX...

Surely the NX launch games is what will excite you for nx, not how good the last few wii u games are, no?

As for Wii U games. I own about 40 retail games, quite a lot 3rd party. And maybe around 100 vc/eshop games.

3DS maybe 70+ retails and about 50 eshop/vc games.

With Vita and PS4 I sold all my retail games bar fifa/battlefront/alien on ps4 and just play the free plus games. Have insane amounts of those.

*obviously not literally a third of games available, but rather owning a third of consoles.

Got me curious. VGChartz data so add a few tubs of salt but:

X1 = 380

PS4 =625

WiiU = 353

Of course it isn't just numbers but also quality..

With the amount of multiplats on X1/PS4, I guess you were eerily accurate Ashley.

@Pestneb In terms of retail games, here they are.

IMG_2665_zps56i9gpbg.jpg

IMG_2666_zpsjgtrr2ov.jpg

IMG_2662_zps8urrbgm7.jpg

IMG_2663_zpsudvhyfbk.jpg

I've traded a few 3rd party games for the Wii U over the course of its life and a few of my PS4 games have also been traded in.

As you can see, while I do own more PS4 games, I have pretty much exhausted my options when it comes to the Wii U. I have pretty much every major game on the thing.

I really don't think that's the case. If people only bought Nintendo's games because they're "starved", then Wonderful 101 would have done well. Donkey Kong wouldn't have taken over a year to hit a million. Captain Toad would have hit a million and so forth.

I'd say that at least Donkey Kong probably did better than it would've on another format.

Personally, my Wii U library consists of a surprising ammount of third party games. Assassins Creed, Deus Ex, Need for Speed, Barman Arkham... all exciting games I missed when they first came out.

Edited by Hogge

Got me curious. VGChartz data so add a few tubs of salt but:

X1 = 380

PS4 =625

WiiU = 353

Of course it isn't just numbers but also quality..

With the amount of multiplats on X1/PS4, I guess you were eerily accurate Ashley.

tumblr_mufr44YrKS1qmyzmfo1_250.gif

He didn't say every Nintendo game has done well because of it. Audience desires obviously still play a part, which would explain the games you mentioned.

Essentially what I think Paul was trying to get at is owners of only Nintendo consoles are more likely to say "hmm it's been a while since I got a game [due to only having access to a 1/3* of games available], this has just come out, let's give it a go" rather than "it's a new game! Must get it because I don't have another console!"

*obviously not literally a third of games available, but rather owning a third of consoles.

Quality comes into it as well I think, funnily enough. Nintendo are rated the top developer most of the recent years.

Surely the NX launch games is what will excite you for nx, not how good the last few wii u games are, no?

As for Wii U games. I own about 40 retail games, quite a lot 3rd party. And maybe around 100 vc/eshop games.

3DS maybe 70+ retails and about 50 eshop/vc games.

With Vita and PS4 I sold all my retail games bar fifa/battlefront/alien on ps4 and just play the free plus games. Have insane amounts of those.

I'll only get excited by launch games if I know what they are. With the Wii I was so uninterested I didn't even know what the successor was called. But true... the Wii U has done much better than the Wii so.. I'll probably have an idea. But screw those two games up and the job of selling the NX becomes much harder.

@Pestneb In terms of retail games, here they are.

IMG_2665_zps56i9gpbg.jpg

IMG_2666_zpsjgtrr2ov.jpg

IMG_2662_zps8urrbgm7.jpg

IMG_2663_zpsudvhyfbk.jpg

I've traded a few 3rd party games for the Wii U over the course of its life and a few of my PS4 games have also been traded in.

As you can see, while I do own more PS4 games, I have pretty much exhausted my options when it comes to the Wii U. I have pretty much every major game on the thing.

Yeah...so if you were a typical gamer Nintendo would be laughing.. although I suspect they would be more so even with the Wii U so.. :D

Pretty big collection of games, and I don't know how you do it! A lot of those games I want but I just know they wouldn't really get played enough to justify the cost!

I'd say that at least Donkey Kong probably did better than it would've on another format.

Personally, my Wii U library consists of a surprising ammount of third party games. Assassins Creed, Deus Ex, Need for Speed, Barman Arkham... all exciting games I missed when they first came out.

That actually sounds like a fun game...

Quality comes into it as well I think, funnily enough. Nintendo are rated the top developer most of the recent years.

Yes well done. Excellent.

Nobody was saying Nintendo don't make great games. Serebii was saying if we take the approach that Nintendo consoles have a higher attach rate due to lack of options (for those that don't own another console) to be indicative how does that explain the slow/lower sales of certain titles. If anything you bringing up excellence just shows that the titles may be excellent, but there's no desire for them from certain people.

I can't think of many EA games I miss having on the Wii U, but having them on board is important I think, in terms of having wider appeal. If Nintendo can keep them sweet enough to have them on board the entire generation, i think that would be a positive and promising step. Time will tell if a)this rumour is actually true and b)if it is, will things last...

I can't think of many EA games I miss having on the Wii U, but having them on board is important I think, in terms of having wider appeal. If Nintendo can keep them sweet enough to have them on board the entire generation, i think that would be a positive and promising step. Time will tell if a)this rumour is actually true and b)if it is, will things last...

Well, Battlefield is an obvious choice for me. Also, I don't want to miss out on the new Mass Effect trilogy.

And as you say yourself: Fifa, Madden and the rest do sell a bucketload.

EA have very little presence in my collection of games as I'm not particularly keen on most of what they release so I haven't exactly missed them not supporting Wii U :heh:

Having said that, if FIFA were to appear on NX and was on par with the other versions of the game on PS4 and XBOX One, I'd probably give it a go, despite not being a huge fan of the games. Unfortunately, I'd like to have the ability to play a half decent football game online and this just hasn't been possible on Wii U (FIFA 13 is appalling :shakehead)

I'd still prefer Pro Evo, though :heh:

EA has always been largely absent from my games collection too, but they did make one absolute beast!...

Mirror's Edge Catalyst will be my first EA game in a LONG time. Grand Slam Tennis may have been the last!

Its not the point that they are missing from our collections. Of course they are as they stopped releasing anything :p

No seriously, I think it is vital for Nintendo to increase its chances of broad mass appeal to have EA on board.

But I was talking specifically, as I did state, about their home consoles.

In an ideal world, Nintendo would make a console that does what the 3rd Parties want as well as give us the features that we want (that have been industry standard since 2005)! I would love this!!!

I just don't have faith that they will anymore and so I want them to go 3rd Party in the home console space. This is all I'm saying. I'm not saying I think they will.

You guys see "Nintendo" and "3rd Party" in the same sentence and just automatically think we're saying that's what will happen..?!

I was speaking in general, not specifically at you. You'd be surprised at how many Nintendoomers think the super successful and profitable handhelds for some reason "don't count." It's hilariously absurd.

He didn't say every Nintendo game has done well because of it. Audience desires obviously still play a part, which would explain the games you mentioned.

Essentially what I think Paul was trying to get at is owners of only Nintendo consoles are more likely to say "hmm it's been a while since I got a game [due to only having access to a 1/3* of games available], this has just come out, let's give it a go" rather than "it's a new game! Must get it because I don't have another console!"

I think in this day and age though most own at least two consoles. Pretty much this gen and the last two before our house has everything except Vita/PSP/XONE. We're not exactly rich, either. Of course this current gen...I barely play anything but 3DS. But that's becase I'm dead and energyless inside.

I'll only get excited by launch games if I know what they are. With the Wii I was so uninterested I didn't even know what the successor was called. But true... the Wii U has done much better than the Wii so.. I'll probably have an idea. But screw those two games up and the job of selling the NX becomes much harder.

Yeah...so if you were a typical gamer Nintendo would be laughing.. although I suspect they would be more so even with the Wii U so.. :D

Pretty big collection of games, and I don't know how you do it! A lot of those games I want but I just know they wouldn't really get played enough to justify the cost!

That actually sounds like a fun game...

As for launch, they need to go traditional (not ALL Nintendo, don't limp it, and for God's sake don't do the "let's not release any AAA 1st party games, so 3rd parties have a chance to sell launch games" garbage crapfestio. We've proved that last one does not work. Why? You offer no big budget 1st party games and less Nintendo fans buy it so they don't buy extra game such as 3rd party ones.

It needs several big budget Nintendo games (next true Mario), some big budget action game for the "wow, pretty explosions, me buy" and a load of 3rd party stuff sports/shooters.

However, according to information we've been given from a solid source, it would appear that Nintendo and EA are looking to put the past behind them and hop back into bed with one another. Nintendo Life contributor Liam Robertson - a man known to have his finger on several pulses and an ear permanently fixed to the ground - has been speaking to "several" staffers at EA and has discovered that the publisher is holding meetings with Nintendo next month and support for NX is a primary topic. He has now exclusively given us access to the correspondence he's been having with these sources.

It should come as no great shock to learn that EA has NX dev kits - we already know that they are out in the wild thanks to reports last year - but what is rather more surprising is Nintendo's eagerness to get the company back on board after the disappointment of the Wii U. EA was apparently one of the first publishers to get access to NX development hardware, and from the information we've been given, Nintendo is citing EA as a key ally when it comes to making its next console a success.

The sources claim that multiple meetings are lined up for March, and that EA has been discussing several points with Nintendo relating to marketing. These meetings will apparently decide how much support EA - or specifically, its EA Sports arm - will be giving Nintendo in the near future. The publisher understandably wants "a detailed plan" on how Nintendo intends to win over sports fans with NX hardware - something it failed to do with Wii U.

EA is keen to learn how Nintendo intends to build up a large enough "sports" audience on NX, as this was apparently one of the key reasons for the publisher abandoning Wii U - it simply wasn't seen as the console of choice for followers of sports.

EA is being quite bold and is asking Nintendo to spend more advertising dollars during televised sporting events like NFL games, NBA games, MLB games, World Cup matches and the World Series in order to claim this audience. The publisher is citing the fact that both Sony and Microsoft spend a large portion of cash during such events, and that EA's titles are given prominence in promotional campaigns.

Another point of contention involves hardware bundles. Traditionally, Nintendo doesn't bundle EA games with its consoles - unlike Microsoft and Sony. According to sources within EA, this is actually seen as something of an insult, and the company will be asking Nintendo to consider shipping NX consoles with leading EA Sports titles, such as FIFA and Madden. While this might smack of arrogance, it's a tactic which has worked well on rival hardware, so there's definitely logic to EA's reasoning.

Finally, there's the topic of applications. Sources claim that during a December meeting between EA and Nintendo executives, an EA exec "criticized Wii U for not having entertainment apps for MLB.TV, NBA, WWE Network, NHL Gamecenter Live, and the NFL". The PlayStation 4 has all of those applications, and EA feels that this is key reason for the machine's success among sports fans. The demand here is that Nintendo ensures NX is able to run such apps, or offer similar functionality to entice sports fans.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/02/rumour_ea_and_nintendo_looking_to_rekindle_unprecedented_partnership_on_nx

Who knows the truth but yep can see why EA would want Nintendo to do more to cultivate its audience. It's been that way for years.

Edited by liger05

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/02/rumour_ea_and_nintendo_looking_to_rekindle_unprecedented_partnership_on_nx

Who knows the truth but yep can see why EA would want Nintendo to do more to cultivate its audience. It's been that way for years.

Very excited about this rumour. It shows Nintendo realise that they need EA on board. Getting the sports titles and offerings from DICE would be a big gain for the platform.

The only retail games I play on PS4 are Fifa and Battlefront so yeah... be nice to have those back on board.

Those demands all seem quite reasonable and all seem like ones that EA would ask for...

There's a big elephant in the room that's missing from these demands though... EA Access.

I would imagine that would be top of their agenda, well before sports apps and I would also expect EA to ask Nintendo to partially subsidize it as well; given their position of power right now, they could easily throw their weight around right now. Nintendo need EA much more than EA need Nintendo...

In fact, I'd be surprised if they didn't demand an outright subsidy period. They probably get a sizable cut of Xbox Live/PSN Plus revenues (I know Activision do), so I'd be surprised if they didn't demand a similar monetary incentive here to match...

Edited by Dcubed

When at the negotiating table, I hope Nintendo stipulates that if EA do decide to make games/port games for the NX that they are on par with the other console versions and not some cut back, legacy edition that they were fond of dishing out.

If Nintendo are going to have to make changes and put some effort in it's only fair that EA do the same.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

When at the negotiating table, I hope Nintendo stipulates that if EA do decide to make games/port games for the NX that they are on par with the other console versions and not some cut back, legacy edition that they were fond of dishing out.

If Nintendo are going to have to make changes and put some effort in it's only fair the EA do the same.

That's what will happen if things don't pan out. Sabotaging their own releases and publicly dumping support is EA's current way of backstabbing.

If Nintendo go in with EA, they're making a deal with the devil...

That being said, there was one good thing that came out of EA's Unprecedented Partnership on Wii U... It introduced Nintendo to Tantalus! Without that debacle, we may never have gotten Twilight Princess HD (nor any of their future projects with Nintendo - and I do expect them to become a regular Nintendo partner, like Monster Games and NLG, from this point forward after their excellent work with Zelda TP HD :) )

Edited by Dcubed

The only thing I'd ask of Nintendo when it comes to EA is not to be Nintendo and not try to do something different, particuarly with the sports titles. Nobody wants Mii intergration in FIFA or a cartoon mode, or a 5 vs 5 mini-game mode at the expense of other features. Just straight up FIFA, Madden or whatever the other consoles are offering. A version parallel to what everyone else is playing. Then they might actually sell.

That's what will happen if things don't pan out. Sabotaging their own releases and publicly dumping support is EA's current way of backstabbing.

If Nintendo go in with EA, they're making a deal with the devil...

No need to be so dramatic. Jeez.

If Nintendo are going to have to make changes and put some effort in it's only fair that EA do the same.

I hope this is how the conversation pans out:

EA: What games do you have that will resonate with our target audience of 16-25 year old male sport fans?

Nintendo: We have Wave Race and 1080 and a few other projects up our sleeves to get that audience back.

Here's what will actually happen....

EA: What games do you have that will resonate with our target audience of 16-25 year old male sport fans?

Nintendo: Well we have New Super Mario Bros....And Donkey Kong. They like Kirby too, right?

:grin: