NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

No need to be so dramatic. Jeez.

But I love being over dramatic :p

latest?cb=20150420214946

... you all know it's true ;)

Nintendo just need to treat third parties as serious partners and not secondary partners.

Give third party software the same importance as 1st party offerings. Games like fifa, madden, battlefield etc are huge titles in the industry and Nintendo need to position them as key offerings in there software library. Co marketing deals are a must!!!

EA will go wherever they believe money is to be made. It's up to Nintendo to convince them that EA software has a place on the NX.

This will mean Nintendo needing to show EA and others that it's developing software which appeals to the 16-25 market and bro market.

If they have learnt anything over the last few years this should be a given.

Edited by liger05

Nintendo just need to treat third parties as serious partners and not secondary partners.

Give third party software the same importance as 1st party offerings. Games like fifa, madden, battlefield etc are huge titles in the industry and Nintendo need to position them as key offerings in there software library. Co marketing deals are a must!!!

EA will go wherever they believe money is to be made. It's up to Nintendo to convince them that EA software has a place on the NX.

Indeed.

It's the big 3rd party games that are the driving force for hardware in the west and have been for sometime now. Treating them with some respect and promoting their games could do wonders for the NX.

Whether people care for EA games or it's practices there is no denying that they are a MAJOR player in the gaming world. It's a shame they didn't get on board with the Wii U as something like Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare would have been a perfect fit for the usual Nintendo audience.

Do I dare dream of a Nintendo console that gets 3rd party games that get released the same time as the other consoles and aren't gimped versions of said games?

This will mean Nintendo needing to show EA and others that it's developing software which appeals to the 16-25 market and bro market.

If they have learnt anything over the last few years this should be a given.

To be fair, they do that quite a lot...it's just not the third parties that you care about.

Monster Hunter

Yo-kai Watch

Dragon Quest

Final Fantasy

Bravely Second

Arkham City

Shovel Knight

etc.

They all get a craptonne of Nintendo's support behind them. I'm sure if Nintendo actually got those titles on their platforms, they'd push them too.

Edited by Serebii

To be fair, they do that quite a lot...it's just not the third parties that you care about.

Monster Hunter

Yo-kai Watch

Dragon Quest

Final Fantasy

Bravely Second

Arkham City

Shovel Knight

etc.

They all get a craptonne of Nintendo's support behind them. I'm sure if Nintendo actually got those titles on their platforms, they'd push them too.

Good point. That shows it can be done then just may be more expensive to do so but it has to be done.

I thought the comments regarding the apps were interesting. Little things but again those sort of things will show Nintendo is fully aware of what services people want on there consoles now.

Monster Hunter

Yo-kai Watch

Dragon Quest

Final Fantasy

Bravely Second

Arkham City

Shovel Knight

etc.

From Japanese developers? On their handhelds? Sure.

From large scale western developers?

giphy.gif

From Japanese developers? On their handhelds? Sure.

From large scale western developers?

giphy.gif

Third parties are third parties and so the statement of correction holds :p

In terms of retail games, here they are.

My Wii U retail games:

Assassin's Creed III

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Batman: Arkham City – Armored Edition

Batman: Arkham Origins

Bayonetta

Bayonetta 2

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Darksiders II

Deus Ex: Human Revolution — Director's Cut

Devil's Third

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water

FIFA 13

Hyrule Warriors

Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

Lego Marvel's Avengers

Mario Kart 8

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars

Mass Effect 3: Special Edition

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Need for Speed: Most Wanted U

New Super Luigi U

New Super Mario Bros. U

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Nintendo Land

Pikmin 3

Rayman Legends

Resident Evil: Revelations

Rodea the Sky Soldier

Sonic Lost World

Splatoon

Super Mario 3D World

Super Mario Maker

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Watch Dogs

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Yoshi's Woolly World

ZombiU

The only thing I'd ask of Nintendo when it comes to EA is not to be Nintendo and not try to do something different, particuarly with the sports titles. Nobody wants Mii intergration in FIFA or a cartoon mode, or a 5 vs 5 mini-game mode at the expense of other features. Just straight up FIFA, Madden or whatever the other consoles are offering. A version parallel to what everyone else is playing. Then they might actually sell.

I'd quite like a 5 a side mode added. Throwing mario and Little mac in EA sports games worked on cube. Same with Soul Calibur. So maybe this is better than Miii's.... a 5 a side indoor mode with mario characters exclusive to NX sounds good to me to be honest

I'd quite like a 5 a side mode added. Throwing mario and Little mac in EA sports games worked on cube. Same with Soul Calibur. So maybe this is better than Miii's.... a 5 a side indoor mode with mario characters exclusive to NX sounds good to me to be honest

Why though? Is it necessary?

Because I think it'd be great, 5 a side football gets criminally overlooked in video games? Anyone remember Striker on the SNES?

Also 5 a side is arcade, fitting in with mario characters. Plus I think adding in mario's character would make it sell well.

Maybe to get the mario characters you need to scan their amiibo in!

Though I wouldn't want this to replace Mario Strikers....

My Wii U retail games:

Assassin's Creed III

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Batman: Arkham City – Armored Edition

Batman: Arkham Origins

Bayonetta

Bayonetta 2

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Darksiders II

Deus Ex: Human Revolution — Director's Cut

Devil's Third

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water

FIFA 13

Hyrule Warriors

Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

Lego Marvel's Avengers

Mario Kart 8

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars

Mass Effect 3: Special Edition

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Need for Speed: Most Wanted U

New Super Luigi U

New Super Mario Bros. U

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Nintendo Land

Pikmin 3

Rayman Legends

Resident Evil: Revelations

Rodea the Sky Soldier

Sonic Lost World

Splatoon

Super Mario 3D World

Super Mario Maker

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Watch Dogs

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Yoshi's Woolly World

ZombiU

Crazy amount of 3rd party games on there. Some i've owned and sold on, others I simply bought and played on other consoles.

• Assassin's Creed III = Finished and sold ( worst Creed in a long time )
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag = PS4
  • Batman: Arkham City – Armored Edition = 360
  • Batman: Arkham Origins = Wii U Played didn't like it and sold
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II = Wii U Finished once we all stopped playing it
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts = Wii U Finished and sold once we all stopped playing it
  • Darksiders II = Wii U Bought it at launch, terrible screen tearing when playing via off screen play sold
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution — Director's Cut = Never played it on any console
  • FIFA 13 = 360
  • Lego Marvel's Avengers = Not played it...yet. Will buy it on PS4 though
  • Mass Effect 3: Special Edition = 360
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted U = Wii U played it a bit but it didn't grab me so sold it
  • Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge = Wii U played it finished it, sold it.
  • Resident Evil: Revelations = 3DS and 360
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist = Wii U played and finished it before selling it on.
  • Watch Dogs = PS4

Looking at my PS4 games you can see the amount of 3rd party stuff that has been played on that console. Had these been released on the Wii U, at the same time and in the same state then I would have bought them for it.

Because I think it'd be great, 5 a side football gets criminally overlooked in video games? Anyone remember Striker on the SNES?

Also 5 a side is arcade, fitting in with mario characters. Plus I think adding in mario's character would make it sell well.

While you personally would like it, I don't think its what the masses would be interested in. It could possibly do more harm than good as many would write the game off as a kiddie version of FIFA.

At the expense of other features? No thanks. The audience for this kind of stuff is minimal and it'd be a waste of everyone's time and effort to include it as experience has shown it doesn't increase sales. Maybe in the GC era, but not anymore. Nintendo are better off making their own sports game if they want to throw Mario in there.

No, it isn't strictly necessary - but is an extra mode that makes the Nintendo version stand out a bad thing?

Soul Calibur 2 sold best on the Gamecube of all systems - I think we all know why (but if you don't, it was because Link was in it).

If Nintendo gets FIFA 18 and it has an extra mode - beach football with Miis, that's a selling point. It makes the Nintendo version stand out. Far better than getting the usual Nintendo version which lacks options and modes!

I just think it would be look like Nintendo trying to shoehorn Mario into another game.

Soul Calibur 2 sold best on the Gamecube of all systems - I think we all know why (but if you don't, it was because Link was in it).

But all versions had there own exclusive characters did they not?

Edited by liger05

At the expense of other features? No thanks. The audience for this kind of stuff is minimal and it'd be a waste of everyone's time and effort to include it as experience has shown it doesn't increase sales. Maybe in the GC era, but not anymore. Nintendo are better off making their own sports game if they want to throw Mario in there.

Who said at the expense of other features? How do you know it doesn't increase features? It hasn't happened before.

Yes, which makes the feat even better.

While you personally would like it, I don't think its what the masses would be interested in. It could possibly do more harm than good as many would write the game off as a kiddie version of FIFA.

Possibly. But if it was exactly the same game, but with an extra mode... I guess I just think 3rd parties rarely sell well on nintendo machines, and this could be a way to swing it a little.

I just think it would be look like Nintendo trying to shoehorn Mario into another game.

Possibly. But if it was exactly the same game, but with an extra mode... I guess I just think 3rd parties rarely sell well on nintendo machines, and this could be a way to swing it a little.

You also have to ask, would Nintendo want Mario being associated with FIFA?

If the game came as it does on the other consoles then that means it would include Ultimate Team. If Nintendo allowed for Mario to be used in FIFA, even if it is just a side mode, it means he would be in a game that supports a crazy amount of microtransactions.

Yeah, but they were all garbage in comparison. Link seemed to fit really well in that universe.

If the game came as it does on the other consoles then that means it would include Ultimate Team. If Nintendo allowed for Mario to be used in FIFA, even if it is just a side mode, it means he would be in a game that supports a crazy amount of microtransactions.

Maybe, maybe. But this is the new nintendo; fully embracing micro transactions and on-disk day one DLC (ACTUALY DLC, not amiibo support (ignites flame))

Speaking a bit more seriously for a moment, I think Nintendo did a good job with supporting the newest Skylanders. The DK and Bowser Skylanders figures/Amiibos were a very sensible inclusion and it did have an appreciatable impact on sales. On top of that, they had a console bundle as well.

The most important thing is that nothing was missing from this version either, and look! It did reletively well, despite the Wii U's small install base.

It goes to show what a bit of marketing muscle can do for a game that would otherwise have probably been ignored.

But if Nintendo do seriously want "proper" support from the likes of EA, they need to play the game that MS and Sony are playing. That means backhand moneyhats, exclusive marketing deals and console bundles, a push for the 10-25 male audience with their own games, sports sponsorship & full sports/multimedia app support, strong technical support from their own developers, moving their own release dates for their own games to support EA, sweetheart deals on licensing fee reductions, full support for all DLC/microtransactions/EA Access/what have you. In fact, so great is the chasm that not only do they need to match MS/Sony in these regards, they need to surpass what they're offering to get EA's attention.

It's not their style, it's not what they want to do, but dem's the breaks. They either bend over backwards like MS and Sony do, or they don't get their support.

Like I said before, Nintendo need EA far more than EA need Nintendo, so EA are the ones in the position of power here. If they want it, they need to put some seriously eye watering money behind this.

Edited by Dcubed

@Serebii I wasn't asking just to make a point - I'm genuinely curious for a source on your assertions about the Rare/Stampers deal as you spoke about it.

Interesting rumour...

tamakip5ppx.png

Unprecedented Partnership II: This Time It's Personal.

Tbh I'm not getting any hopes up right now - I see this EA/NX thing right now as just sensible and early business. EA are fairly big in the gaming world, they know they'd be fools not to test the waters when they can afford to, in case the NX takes off and they miss the boat. It's just early days to me, exactly like their first 'unprecedented partnership' was.

Don't shoehorn any of this in to something else, just give us a new Strikers game. BAM! Some variety.

Quite surprised one never made it to WiiU as it is - understand it wasn't one of the biggest of titles but I don't think enough of a wider audience were aware of it or how fun it could be - I personally loved it after I first played it a few times(despite being shit) and bought my own copy!

This basically.

Nintendo needs to stop believing they know every market perfectly (which they may not think, but their actions suggest) and accept and embrace that there are companies out there that know better and do better with certain elements than they do and acknowledge that.

I get the sense (although it's obviously without any personal experience) that Nintendo still sees themselves as the gatekeeper and third parties should be thankful for them, whereas it should be a mutually beneficial relationship.

Tbh I'm not getting any hopes up right now - I see this EA/NX thing right now as just sensible and early business. EA are fairly big in the gaming world, they know they'd be fools not to test the waters when they can afford to, in case the NX takes off and they miss the boat. It's just early days to me, exactly like their first 'unprecedented partnership' was.

While I agree that we've seen this kind of thing said before, what's exciting to me is how the rumours that liger posted go on to say that EA are telling Nintendo exactly what needs to happen to get their support. A lot of what they are asking for is something that needs to be done for Nintendo to become a bigger player in the console space.

My main worry about all of this is if it's a half hearted effort from both parties. If that is the case then I would rather they just go their separate ways again.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Maybe, maybe. But this is the new nintendo; fully embracing micro transactions and on-disk day one DLC (ACTUALY DLC, not amiibo support (ignites flame))

Yuck :p .

@Serebii I wasn't asking just to make a point - I'm genuinely curious for a source on your assertions about the Rare/Stampers deal as you spoke about it.

I misread. I thought the Stampers sold their stake as they went out, but seems they left a year after that 51% was sold.

While I agree that we've seen this kind of thing said before, what's exciting to me is how the rumours that liger posted go on to say that EA are telling Nintendo exactly what needs to happen to get their support. A lot of what they are asking for is something that needs to be done for Nintendo to become a bigger player in the console space.

My main worry about all of this is if it's a half hearted effort from both parties. If that is the case then I would rather they just go their separate ways again.

Oh I agree with that, but it broke down before and I can see it happening here if Nintendo aren't willing to meet them somewhere in the middle. Right now it's them putting up terms, and it seems no negotiations or agreements have taken place yet - so for me it's basically just the early days of it all. I'm going to be much keener to hopefully hear the outcomes when they arrive.

I misread. I thought the Stampers sold their stake as they went out, but seems they left a year after that 51% was sold.

Misread what? I was/still am after a source for your assertions. It's convenient that when you apparently 'misread' or make a mistake you just decide to ignore people who ask for some actual sources. I'd still like one, because you make a number in your original post that I've not come across before. I don't want to have a fight or argument, I'd just like to know what you're basing it on so I can see for myself;

Rare were falling apart and it was sold off because the Stamper brothers wanted out. Nintendo bailing on them was the better option.

Rare was done before Nintendo sold it off. They passed on the offer for the 51% the Stampers were selling, and then sold the rest since MS bought the majority.

Edited by Rummy