NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I have twelve Gamecubes in a pillowcase by my bed.

Im more hardcore than you, I have twenty Gamecubes in the pillow case I sleep on at night

Im more hardcore than you, I have twenty Gamecubes in the pillow case I sleep on at night

I have a bed made out of Gamecubes

I hate to put a downer on you all, but why do you think my house was so cheap? That's right, Gamecubes motherfuckers.

I hate to put a downer on you all, but why do you think my house was so cheap? That's right, Gamecubes motherfuckers.

Hmmmm. But if two Gamecube's strapped together makes a Wii.......

Is your house some kind of advanced Nintendo console? Like how the PS3 could connect with washing machines to become a God.

Nintendo. Stop the madness of this thread and announce nx to distract everyone!!!!

PS Chuckie Egg is one of my favourite games of all time, still brilliant today too

Casual games. Hardcore games. That's just the selfish perception of people. True gamers play their favourites.

I understood that reference.

Man, I'm such a Pokenerd...

I disagree.

Then what does that make my previously mentioned little sister? She's played more games than hypothetical Online EVE exclusive player. From Smash Bros. to Mario Golf 64 to Resident Evil 4 Wii edition. Would you say she's more hardcore?

Then what does that make my previously mentioned little sister? She's played more games than hypothetical Online EVE exclusive player. From Smash Bros. to Mario Golf 64 to Resident Evil 4 Wii edition. Would you say she's more hardcore?

I'd say she was a gamer. Someone who enjoys the games industry and all it has to offer.

I'd say she was a gamer. Someone who enjoys the games industry and all it has to offer.

Hmmm... I think I'm starting to understand you a bit.

Let me see if I've got this straight. Feel free to correct if I'm wrong.

You seem to have 3 distinct groups for gamers which depends on the variety of games they play, where most people would use the amount of time spent on gaming to distinguish gamers.

For you, a casual gamer is a person who exclusively games with a very selective amount of series. The kind of people who would buy a console, get something like FIFA and never consider trying something new. Basically, the main reason they play games is because of other people's influence.

Then you have normal gamers, who probably only has one console, maybe two, who would play a varied amount of games. Not the kind of people who would buy something the day it came out. Just someone who might just pop in to a random shop and might buy a game just because the box and the back of said box looks appealing.

Then there's the hardcore, the people who buy all sorts of games for all sorts of consoles just so they can play more games. The kind of person who has a PS4 and buys a WiiU just so they can play Ninty's offerings, and also has portables as well, of course.

How's that? Am I getting the picture?

You seem to have 3 distinct groups for gamers which depends on the variety of games they play, where most people would use the amount of time spent on gaming to distinguish gamers.

For you, a casual gamer is a person who exclusively games with a very selective amount of series. The kind of people who would buy a console, get something like FIFA and never consider trying something new. Basically, the main reason they play games is because of other people's influence.

Then you have normal gamers, who probably only has one console, maybe two, who would play a varied amount of games. Not the kind of people who would buy something the day it came out. Just someone who might just pop in to a random shop and might buy a game just because the box and the back of said box looks appealing.

Then there's the hardcore, the people who buy all sorts of games for all sorts of consoles just so they can play more games. The kind of person who has a PS4 and buys a WiiU just so they can play Ninty's offerings, and also has portables as well, of course.

But how does a person who spends all their waking hours playing just EVE Online (of which there are many) get to be considered casual in any sense? I don't see how quantity of games played can dictate this one at all. It's just so very arbitrary. You could argue that app gamers are hardcore kings as they have access to a plethora of free/59p games.

Some people play loads of games but aren't half as serious as some people playing just a few.

I'd probably actually class myself as a fairly casual gamer. Will sometimes go weeks without playing anything, then when I do buy something new, I'll play it quite a lot until I finish or get bored! (The last few months I've basically just been playing Pokémon Go!)

I go quite long periods without playing anything. Yet I have a diverse interest in video games, am interested in the industry and news surrounding it. Someone who mainly plays COD a lot is probably more of a gamer than me, they just have a more narrow interest.

Ronnie, I feel you're using casual gamer as quite a derogatory term when it really shouldn't be. People who mainly like things like COD, Fifa, GTA are very important to the success of a console.

So, what would you class me as? Someone who loves games, but doesn't actually play them as much as many "casual" gamers due to various factors?

Hell, why label anyone? Just let people enjoy what they enjoy!

But how does a person who spends all their waking hours playing just EVE Online (of which there are many) get to be considered casual in any sense? I don't see how quantity of games played can dictate this one at all. It's just so very arbitrary. You could argue that app gamers are hardcore kings as they have access to a plethora of free/59p games.

Some people play loads of games but aren't half as serious as some people playing just a few.

I do mostly agree with you, but assuming I'm right about @Ronnie's interpretation, it certainly is an interesting take on it.

If you took said Online EVE player and pitted them against my sister in a hypothetical general gaming quiz show. They'd both probably do poorly, but just from the wider amount of games my sister has played, she'd fare better.

I think Ronnie's trying to say the time spent gaming shouldn't be the only deciding factor in deciding what constitutes a hardcore gamer.

Hypothetical hardcore EVE player is just that, a hardcore EVE gamer, but assuming that's all they've played, you could argue that his gaming experience is, well, kinda crap.

Anyone got some free time to create a nice flowchart explaining the different types of gamers and what we should think of them as people.

Anyone got some free time to create a nice flowchart explaining the different types of gamers and what we should think of them as people.

I know you're joking, but I'm kinda tempted to draw something up on Pokemon Art Academy...

I know you're joking, but I'm kinda tempted to draw something up on Pokemon Art Academy...

I'd like to see that :p

Another, so called, "leaked" pic...

[tweet]780773224879648768[/tweet]

Thinking of people as people, and not as predetermined labels? The horror.

I just label myself as a Pokémon Master and be done with it :p

Hypothetical hardcore EVE player is just that, a hardcore EVE gamer, but assuming that's all they've played, you could argue that his gaming experience is, well, kinda crap.

I wouldn't say someone wasn't a hardcore athlete for being just a full time runner. I don't see how it's any different. They're gaming...all the time...and they take it very seriously.

That's it exactly, or at least my take on things.

I think the people who devote time every day for COD or FIFA (and nothing else) are just as casual as the ones who played Nintendogs on DS and not much else.

Anyway, as Serebii suggests, they're just labels, it's really not important.

But @Ronnie, these people having been playing CoD and FIFA for years, still are and will do for years to come with future releases!

Those that you refer to who played the Wii and DS but don't anymore are different in that they're not still gaming. Hence the casual nature of it.

Casual games. Hardcore games. That's just the selfish perception of people. True gamers play their favourites.

So true gamers don't try and expand their horizons at all is what you're saying? ;)

These last few pages would make a decent 'how do you personally define a casual gamer' thread in general gaming but I'm on holiday so...

This is purely anecdotal, but the people I know who I would to label "casual gamers" still own old generation systems. One of them was recently bemoaning the fact that the new South Park game was not coming out on Xbox 360 and only releasing on the "new" consoles.

I would also add that CoD and FIFA have very broad appeal. They are played casually but also have substantial hardcore followings. I don't see how they're that different to Smash Bros or Mario Kart is terms of their appeal and the types of gamers that buy them.

I just see it as how much time they dedicate to gaming and whether or not they consider it a hobby or a passing amusement. Doesn't matter how many games they play IMO.

Much like someone who only drinks whiskey can still be an alcoholic.

https://www.destructoid.com/rumor-nintendo-funding-beyond-good-and-evil-sequel-346059.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is one of those games that has been rumored to exist for years while still staying weirdly in limbo every time it is discussed. Ubisoft insists the project has not been canned, and brings it up multiple times each year, but nothing concrete seems to surface.

According to a rumor received by Destructoid this week, the game may actually come to fruition in the not-too-distant future. If the information is to be believed, Nintendo has pulled a Bayonetta 2, securing the Beyond Good and Evil sequel as an NX exclusive for 2017