NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

You do realise that's just the new PS4 design right? Not quite the same as a brand new console :heh:

Straight out of Sony's PS4 Slim playbook :p

You used that same line on Gaf yesterday. :p

I'm everywhere!

*disappears into the shadows*

You do realise that's just the new PS4 design right? Not quite the same as a brand new console :heh:

Shit. It is? I had no idea

You used that same line on Gaf yesterday. :p

I'm everywhere!

*disappears into the shadows*

1269284.gif?b64lines=

Can't tell if sarcasm...

Damn this waking up at 3am nonsense.

Anyway, you're comparing apples with orange slices

The NX has a wireless symbol with an arrow pointing to the controller - so I don't think that wire is for the controller. To me it more closely resembles the power lead for the Wii.

And I can't get my head round the translation.. what exactly is the box at the bottom? Just thinking if it is something like a HDD maybe the cable is a usb 3.0 cable for that....

Is it not already proven to be fake? I see everyone online saying it has been, I've just not looked for myself yet.

I think its quite likely fake, yeah. I think initially it was just a mock up on a Chinese gaming forum that someone cynically took, wrote a description for and then portrayed it as being from the same Foxconn employee that leaked the PS4 Slim design.

I might ban myself from this thread until Nintendo reveal it, I think i'd rather find it all out from Nintendo than in drips and drabs - hopefully it won't be too long until they actually say something.

Wasn't the PS4 Slim design leaked by a Manc on gumtree?

Photos of it were, yeah but a Foxconn employee also leaked sketches of the design beforehand which people were suspicious of but were obviously corroborated by the leaked model.

So I've been doing some thinking on how this thing might work, if it is a hybrid.

What if it cooperates with your phone? What if Nintendo have developed an app which makes your NX and phone communicate, enabling the NX to play Pokémon Go style AR-games and play online anywhere?

Taking this a step further: what if the NX doesen't even feature a screen? Instead, the NX uses said app to transmit images to your phone/tablet screen, which you can either put on a table or somehow clip on to the top of the console. Subsequently, this negates the need for speakers, motion sensors and whatnot.

This could enable the NX to be amazing value for money, as it could be barebone, just featuring the standard console components (processor, RAM, GPU, etc), batteries and wifi or bluetooth.

It wont be that but if it was, there would be no way I would buy one. I would never want another device connecting to my phone and draining the battery.

That sounds awful and in no way would nintendo do it. I can't think of anything that would be good about it, or any logic as to why nintendo would require another bit of expensive hardware.

That sounds awful and in no way would nintendo do it. I can't think of anything that would be good about it, or any logic as to why nintendo would require another bit of expensive hardware.

It might not have been a good idea when the 3DS launched, but nowadays this "expensive bit of hardware" is so common that even 3-year olds have them. Which is why kids don't have consoles anymore.

It would enable NX to push way better graphics for the price than if it had its own speakers, screen, camera, motion sensors and so on. It would also improve battery performance.

Also, Nintendo wouldn't need to make an NX, an NX XL and an NX Mini. They'd make one device and then people would hook up whichever smart device they want depending on what experience they want, whether it's an iPod Touch, a ridiculously big phone, or a massive tablet.

Also, if Nintendo would use this value for money to bring the price down instead of bringing the graphics up, this would enable the NX to be an option instead of buying a brand new phone, as they'd be able to play games with greath graphics on their slow, old smart phone. Which is great for families where smartphones are handed down from parents to kids.

And finally: it would enable the NX to have features it otherwise wouldn't, such as GPS and internet on the go.

So lots of reasons, even if I can imagine there would be some downsides, such as me finding it difficult to imagine a clip that can hold all phones on the market well enough.

Also, Nintendo wouldn't need to make an NX, an NX XL and an NX Mini.

Nintendo already don't really need to do this... they do it because it is a good way of getting more money in. Even with your idea they would still choose to release sub models.

Also it would be me out.. I don't have a smart phone and I don't want one... so if the NX required me to have one I'd skip out.

It might not have been a good idea when the 3DS launched, but nowadays this "expensive bit of hardware" is so common that even 3-year olds have them. Which is why kids don't have consoles anymore.

It would enable NX to push way better graphics for the price than if it had its own speakers, screen, camera, motion sensors and so on. It would also improve battery performance.

Also, Nintendo wouldn't need to make an NX, an NX XL and an NX Mini. They'd make one device and then people would hook up whichever smart device they want depending on what experience they want, whether it's an iPod Touch, a ridiculously big phone, or a massive tablet.

Also, if Nintendo would use this value for money to bring the price down instead of bringing the graphics up, this would enable the NX to be an option instead of buying a brand new phone, as they'd be able to play games with greath graphics on their slow, old smart phone. Which is great for families where smartphones are handed down from parents to kids.

And finally: it would enable the NX to have features it otherwise wouldn't, such as GPS and internet on the go.

So lots of reasons, even if I can imagine there would be some downsides, such as me finding it difficult to imagine a clip that can hold all phones on the market well enough.

People buy phones first and foremost to use as phones. Games are just an added bonus.

People like to buy new phones as they just that new. Higher resolutions, New designs, new cameras, new features etc etc.

You don't have a two year old phone and then decide I won't bother with the latest Galaxy or iPhone as instead I can use some third party gadget.

Nintendo already don't really need to do this... they do it because it is a good way of getting more money in. Even with your idea they would still choose to release sub models.

Also it would be me out.. I don't have a smart phone and I don't want one... so if the NX required me to have one I'd skip out.

You'd still be able to play it at home ;)

On a more serious note, I agree that it's not likely that Nintendo would do this. Nintendo have been adding more and more features to their consoles, I don't think they'd do the polar opposite.

Although, I do find my first idea a fair bit more likely: the ability to hook up to your phone to use online features on the go, as well as get access to GPS.

Edited by Hogge

You'd still be able to play it at home ;)

On a more serious note, I agree that it's not likely that Nintendo would do this. Nintendo have been adding more and more features to their consoles, I don't think they'd do the polar opposite.

Although, I do find my first idea a fair bit more likely: the ability to hook up to your phone to use online features on the go, as well as get access to GPS.

I can see them making the NX compatible with their apps, so say an NX player could play pokemon GO battles vs smartphone Pokemon GO players. Maybe even have the NX compatible with the smartphone, have maybe just the "dock" part without the handheld component as a basic format that requires a compatible smartphone (haha - maybe being sold on that contract version someone earlier on had proposed :P)

But the first seems the most likely, simply having apps on mobile phones that can interact with NX consoles, perhaps with small advantages for the NX version to encourage people to make that leap. I think it is unlikely though, much in the way a mario game on a mobile phone was...

I honestly hope this is not true. I know Nintendo said that they are not continuing with the Wii brand but I can't help but feel that they are lying. They seem to be continuing with the Wii philosophy just without the Wii brand. (blue ocean, under powered etc) but I hope I'm wrong.

The Hybrid idea has never got me excited and looking at the potential leak is just pissing me off.

Like many people have said before me - with respect to consumer confidence - NX could be make or break for them.

Saying all that, I can't wait until they reveal the damn thing and I pray to the Nintendo gods not to fuck up again.

Lol that d-pad, people didn't really fall for that did they? Then again I thought the rumours of a 6inch screen on a controller before the Wii U reveal were ridiculous.

Well, the wait will be over shortly, there's an investors meeting next month on the 26th and it's only logical that the reveal will be before that. If not my money is on a delay which isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility given that Nintendo attribute a lot of their lost earnings to the strength of the yen and the recent economic panics hasn't helped.

So, Tesco put up, then quickly pulled, the listing for it.

They had it listed at £349.99

giphy.gif