NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Then the Neo reveal happened :p

Shudder. Funnily enough Nintendo revealing NX shortly off the back of that disaster might have actually been for the best!

So IGN had a few interesting things to say this week. They think Nintendo will soft announce the concept in their investor meeting (26th October) and do a direct/event in January to avoid the Christmas craziness. They also said a friend of the show said there's something else about the NX no one has guessed yet!!

So IGN had a few interesting things to say this week. They think Nintendo will soft announce the concept in their investor meeting (26th October) and do a direct/event in January to avoid the Christmas craziness. They also said a friend of the show said there's something else about the NX no one has guessed yet!!

It's all speculation but I can imagine plenty of people being incredibly frustrated if we don't get an in-depth NX reveal this year!

I'm as eager to know what it is as anyone, though seemingly not anywhere near as impatient as others :heh:

This is actually the most believable theory to come out as of late. I said in a post earlier on that something has to come out this month as the investors aren't going to stay quiet with the little information they have on a device due to launch in half a year's time.

Waiting until January for a full reveal would be hell for us fans though god damn!

I'd have thought that Nintendo would be a little wise to announce it prior to Xmas to try and dissuade some people from buying alternative gaming devices and wait for NX.

If they soft launch it in March they have what, 5 million sales up to Christmas, then really push hard for November in the US, December in EU to push a few million extra. With BotW I think that will sell the console reasonably well amongst the core users initially. This may be their way of avoiding console shortages - probably only 10 million or so users will be looking to upgrade in the first year. What were those sales estimates for the first year again?

I'd have thought that Nintendo would be a little wise to announce it prior to Xmas to try and dissuade some people from buying alternative gaming devices and wait for NX.

To be honest, I could have done with with knowing what NX was earlier this week. I was about to drop £149 on a PS4 with FIFA 17 but also had the desire to hold onto this money for NX in 2017. If the NX somehow gets revealed as something I'm barely interested in, will I regret not picking up a great deal on the PS4 when I had the chance? ::shrug:

Having said that, spending £149 on something you don't really want maybe can't be considered a 'great' deal :heh:

Then the Neo reveal happened :p Plans change :p

Sony announced another console other than the Pro last month?

If they soft launch it in March they have what, 5 million sales up to Christmas, then really push hard for November in the US, December in EU to push a few million extra. With BotW I think that will sell the console reasonably well amongst the core users initially. This may be their way of avoiding console shortages - probably only 10 million or so users will be looking to upgrade in the first year. What were those sales estimates for the first year again?

What was the launch period sales like for the Wii U? 5 million seems like a lot when you think that's 40-odd% of Wii U's lifetime sales. Not that one console dictates the next, just curious how the U did over the same time frame.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo said they would talk exclusively about NX in Q4, so I'd be surprised if they kept everyone waiting that late.

What was the launch period sales like for the Wii U? 5 million seems like a lot when you think that's 40-odd% of Wii U's lifetime sales. Not that one console dictates the next, just curious how the U did over the same time frame.

I wondered the same thing, looking on wikipedia (because I'm being lazy)

Independent estimates put the number of Wii U consoles sold by the end of 2013 between 4.5 and 5.2 million.

I was assuming that 3DS fans would also be interested, because I suspect a large number of Wii U owners won't be ready to make the jump into a new machine just yet, while 3ds owners might.

If they can achieve 5 Million by the start of November just off BotW and presumably a few other first party titles (and hopefully some 3rd party offerings) that would be a very promising start.... assuming that sales would pick up in November and December.

I've seen production is aiming at 10 Million for the first year. I'd say 8 Million 2017, with another 2 mill for Jan-Mar 2018 to make that target....

Obviously how likely that is depends largely on just what NX is and how it resonates with gamers and the public.

Personally I'm determined to hold off till the second full financial year (around mid 2018) before picking one up, if I am interested then.

Edited by Pestneb

...What was the launch period sales like for the Wii U? 5 million seems like a lot when you think that's 40-odd% of Wii U's lifetime sales. Not that one console dictates the next, just curious how the U did over the same time frame.

I'd expect it to do similar, better if it is a hybrid/handheld. I can't see a dedicated home console selling even as much as the WiiU.

I'd expect it to do similar, better if it is a hybrid/handheld. I can't see a dedicated home console selling even as much as the WiiU.

A dedicated home console could sell more than the Wii U, but it would need to be up to the standards set by the competition.

But I guess you're working off the basis that the NX won't be up to those standards.. which seems a fair assumption.

I'm seriously considering a return to PC gaming... I miss strategy games (Command and conquer, civilisation, Age of Empires, settlers, Anno series, Total Annihilation, Theme Hospital.. worms etc.) and fps (mainly Unreal tournament style). I would have loved a decent strategy game to come out on the Wii U - pikmin was good... but it didn't really take full advantage of the touch screen interface imo. FPS wise, I think Splatoon is the most fun I've had with an fps in years, but with that exception it has been nearly a decade since I really enjoyed a fps (maybe being a bit harsh - red steel and red steel 2 both had their moments... and I seem to recall DoD not being too terrible either :D)

But I'm not sure if the NX will be capable of supporting those types of games like the Wii U may have... and even if it can, I don't think the games I'd want are likely to appear. Obviously it all depends on what games come out on PC, and if any really draw me over to the PC experience!

Having said that, Nintendo console games tend to be the ones that I enjoy the most... so I don't know.. maybe a smart phone and a PC :P

PC gaming really is the way to go these days. We've moved past the cheap and easy ports of console games so its usually the best place to go. I still keep my consoles for exclusives but if I have a choice then I nearly always go with the PC version.

. They also said a friend of the show said there's something else about the NX no one has guessed yet!!

It is also a drone and can fly.

I'm seriously considering a return to PC gaming... I miss strategy games (Command and conquer, civilisation, Age of Empires, settlers, Anno series, Total Annihilation, Theme Hospital.. worms etc.) and fps (mainly Unreal tournament style).

I bought a PC last november after seeing loads of great games coming out, and nothing hit the Wii U. Best gaming decision I've done in a long time. PC + Nintendo is also probably the best combo you can have, imo. All the great Nintendo exclusive you want, and also every other major multiplatform game in the business. It's great :D. And the steam holiday sales is also one of the best "games" I've played! ...even though it hurts my wallet :P.

I bought a PC last november after seeing loads of great games coming out, and nothing hit the Wii U. Best gaming decision I've done in a long time. PC + Nintendo is also probably the best combo you can have, imo. All the great Nintendo exclusive you want, and also every other major multiplatform game in the business. It's great :D. And the steam holiday sales is also one of the best "games" I've played! ...even though it hurts my wallet :P.

Was about to say that - PC-Nintendo is the way to go for me. Im a new Steam user and Im pretty surprised as to how many third party title games are on it - Im pleasantly surprised that I can play the latest MGS without a PS4.

not really too keen on windows 10 tbh, but I guess I'll be forced to make the jump eventually - what specs do games want these days? like I have 2.7Ghz PC with 4Gb Ram (I know it doesn't work this way, but roughly double my Wii U :P) how far off is that from running most games?

back to NX rumours.... it could be useful to look back at the Wii U and speculation surrounding it:

April 15th 2011

http://www.develop-online.net/news/wii-2-fresh-rumours-emerge-on-project-cafe/0109153

April 21st 2011

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/04/21/project-cafe-the-tech-behind-nintendos-next-console

April 25th Nintendo officially announce release of Wii U in 2012

E3 2011 Nintendo revealed the Wii U in more depth.

Not sure what people can draw from that if anything....

@Pestneb - Yeah Im not to clued up on specs and really dont want to be. But after buying my beloved Surface Pro 3 i7 I realised its one of the few fairly capable laptops Ive owned. But I downloaded Sonic 3 only to be met with unplayable lag, yet Pro evo 17 and AC4 work a charm.

Anyway... Steam and Pokemon may just tide me over until NX arrives.

@Pestneb - Yeah Im not to clued up on specs and really dont want to be. But after buying my beloved Surface Pro 3 i7 I realised its one of the few fairly capable laptops Ive owned. But I downloaded Sonic 3 only to be met with unplayable lag, yet Pro evo 17 and AC4 work a charm.

Anyway... Steam and Pokemon may just tide me over until NX arrives.

Sorry to go off topic everyone but I really want PES 17 on PC, but I've heard it's not as good as the console versions. What says you King V, would you recommend it? I've not played since '11 or '12

I wonder if Pro evo will be on the NX....

Guys... murphy's law MAY help you out. My predictions for NX info... Either October the 6th OR October 25th.

Also the "detachable controllers" will actually be bands you wear on your wrists. They detect muscle movements within your wrist to deduce finger and hand orientation, allowing for a completely flexible input interface. In addition to this, your pulse and body temperature are now able to be monitored by the NX, allowing games to read agitation/excitement of the player and adapt the game experience accordingly.

Actually I don't think the NX will be announced this month at all, I'd put my money on mid/late November to try and steal some mind share from Microsoft and Sony for the end of November and going into December.... so I'll say between the 22nd-24th November.

Sorry to go off topic everyone but I really want PES 17 on PC, but I've heard it's not as good as the console versions. What says you King V, would you recommend it? I've not played since '11 or '12

Im loving it - more than ever before. PES has never been about graphics for me, its the beauty of the life-like animation... im just fully absorbed in Master League and MyClub after work...Like the old PS2 days :heart: :heart::heart:

Definitely recommend. Most of the complaints are just that the graphics on the PS4 are noticeably better, still looks good though - and Im playing on low settings.

Edited by King_V

I'm starting to wonder if NX is actually intended to be Nintendo's only piece of hardware in the future.

The upside is naturally that Nintendo will be able to focus all their resources on ONE system and that a combo system theoretically SHOULD sell more than either system alone. The drawback is that the NX is launching mid-generation and unlike the Wii U, not even slightly more powerful than what's already out there.

There is a second option. What if Nintendo only intend to be a stop-gap for home console owners? What if Nintendo desire to release a new console that'll be on-par with the PS5/XboxTWO at the same time as those machines?

The Nintendo 3DS launched in Japan on February 26, 2011. On March 25, 2011, the system launched in Europe. On March 27, 2011 the Nintendo 3DS launched in North America.

In March 2017, the NX will launch.

Frankly, to me this is Nintendo withdrawing from the home console business but allowing the handheld to operate with a tv.

looking at the resolution increase from ds to 3ds, it isn't too big a leap to have expected 720p from the next handheld anyway... with a resolution like that it wouldn't be too big a deal displaying on a hd tv screen.

Edited by Pestneb

...There is a second option. What if Nintendo only intend to be a stop-gap for home console owners? What if Nintendo desire to release a new console that'll be on-par with the PS5/XboxTWO at the same time as those machines?

I can't see this happening in a million years!