NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I like how you're all assuming they'll add in a bridge module.. This dock will be wireless, surely. It makes no sense to be putting in additional units, it'll complicate things, add on costs to the consumer. Nintendo will have been working on increasing it's bandwidth with Wii U streaming tech.

By using a wireless dock between controller and dock it'll open up the possibility of touch, possibly even asymetric gameplay, maps etc.

Really don't think so, especially if the dock boosts it in anyway. I think Zelda is a clear clear example that the nx doesn't support touchscreen for home play.

The big worry is what happens with multiple nx units for multiplayer, can they connect to the dock wirelessly in anyway?

Really don't think so, especially if the dock boosts it in anyway. I think Zelda is a clear clear example that the nx doesn't support touchscreen for home play.

The big worry is what happens with multiple nx units for multiplayer, can they connect to the dock wirelessly in anyway?

The dock could boost wirelessly anyway, i think? It all comes down to the bandwdth Nintendo has acheived by developing it's current Wii U tech. You'd certainly need speed and bandwidth to do this... But i'm hopeful they've worked out a way.

You could argue that if everyone is in the same room with their own NX's, is there any point to having them connect to the dock. But there are some games where you'd want that single single big display, like Smash.

Good video.. Disagree with his assertion that being a Nintendo only gamer is silly...

There are good reasons to be a Nintendo only gamer.

For me it's not a question of having multiple consoles or a single console... it's a question of having 3 consoles or having 1 and having 2/3 telescopes.. or RC cars etc.

Nintendo games, rare as they feel, appeal to me more. The games I could get on a PS/Xb wouldn't fit my tastes as well as the wii u does. And if I get 2 consoles, that's a huge chunk gone from my other hobby budgets.

Good video.. Disagree with his assertion that being a Nintendo only gamer is silly...

There are good reasons to be a Nintendo only gamer.

For me it's not a question of having multiple consoles or a single console... it's a question of having 3 consoles or having 1 and having 2/3 telescopes.. or RC cars etc.

Nintendo games, rare as they feel, appeal to me more. The games I could get on a PS/Xb wouldn't fit my tastes as well as the wii u does. And if I get 2 consoles, that's a huge chunk gone from my other hobby budgets.

I agree with you, I'm in the same boat - but I still feel that as a Nintendo only gamer I missed out on a lot of what the industry has had to offer. From MGS 4 and 5 to every GTA after PS2's 3... So I can get his point.

I just don't have (or want to) commit so much time to gaming with multiple consoles, while having a busy weekly schedule.

True, I'd like the chance of having those games.. but tbh only mgs5 really appeals to me in that list.. even then with my limited time I'm not sure I'd stretch to that. A few really good games in my collection aren't getting played because I don't have the time. When splatoon online completely dies though...

kaZldH5.jpg

Again, stealing from GAF but this is the best mock up I've seen so far. Especially love the Amiibo logo for the NFC pad, something that never crossed my mind but seems like such a no brainer now.

Nah way, that's essentially a square piece of plastic for a controller in console mode. Looks unergonomic as fuck.

From an interview with Ubisoft EMEA Executive Director Alain Corre conducted by Gameindustry.biz

"We announced that we’re developing Just Dance for NX and we have other surprises that we will announce later, but we also believe Nintendo has the power to reinvent the way families are playing. Nintendo is a fantastic powerhouse of brands that are really cherished by a lot of fans and families… I am still impressed by the reoccurrence of success and appetite even today for the Nintendo franchises on the current system."

Ubisoft ever not going to mention families when talking NX?

Nah way, that's essentially a square piece of plastic for a controller in console mode. Looks unergonomic as fuck.

As ergonomic as the Wii U controller currently is. Just narrower it looks to me.

From an interview with Ubisoft EMEA Executive Director Alain Corre conducted by Gameindustry.biz

Ubisoft ever not going to mention families when talking NX?

Could be for their shareholders, Nintendo don't produce 3rd party friendly consoles, but from a 3rd party standpoint I can see value in their reasoning if they consider "family" being a strength of Nintendo platforms. So that's probably how they would rationalise supporting the NX (at least initially) to their shareholders.

I really hope none of that is true. It's bad enough trying to keep track of the remote, let alone 4 pieces of extra controller that'll get scattered across the living room.

Does anyone else see a strained anime face on the back of that mockup above?

Does anyone else see a strained anime face on the back of that mockup above?

Looks to me like its about to throw up

Again, stealing from GAF but this is the best mock up I've seen so far. Especially love the Amiibo logo for the NFC pad, something that never crossed my mind but seems like such a no brainer now.

I may have missed this, but why do we need both sides of the controller to be separated and not in a single piece? It would look like a bit like Dreamcast's controller then though

I may have missed this, but why do we need both sides of the controller to be separated and not in a single piece? It would look like a bit like Dreamcast's controller then though

Local multiplayer gaming on the go

Local multiplayer gaming on the go

oh, I hadn't thought about local multiplayer with one handheld. It would be very useful to me, as I've moved recently to the UK and I could bring with me an extra controller or two together with the portable NX to play with friends/brothers. I still don't see a big problem to have both sides of the controller joined, but it would certainly be harder to carry.

I was thinking that they might sell new controllers at some point with motion controls (along with a VR module, as someone said a few days ago cannot find the post anymore... ), and then both controllers would need to be separated also.

Pokémon, Zelda (obvs) and Mario to launch within the first six months of the NX apparently: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pok-mon-mario-and-zelda-headline-nx-dream-line-up/0170678

It's interesting they say Nintendo isn't going after PS4 gamers, but rather trying to get smartphone gamers to upgrade. If the previous rumours about the price being "surprisingly low" are correct, maybe its the best move they can pull. Ultimately quietly drop out of the home console market but set up their own niche with a strong portable console that can also be played at home. If it can come in sub £200, especially around £150, I think it could do really well.

Edited by Ashley

This bit...

“It’s a nice bit of kit, a bit of a novelty, but a good one,” said one exec that has got hands on with the machine. “It won’t appeal to PS4 fans. Nintendo seems set on trying to upgrade smartphone gamers. That’s going to be a big job for the marketing department.”

It's a bit weird to hear that but then to see a game like Zelda which is trying to push the boundaries of gaming.

I wonder what form Mario will take on NX. Will it be a more casual orientated game (NSMB/SM3DW) or will it be a more ambitious 3D platformer that tries to push the genre forward. Miyamoto hinted at the latter at E3 but I wonder if we'll see BOTH, just as the Wii got Galaxy first and NSMB later. Both catered to very different audiences.

Miyamoto hinted that the boundary pushing Mario "might" be shown next E3, so either that will and get released very soon after or we will indeed get two.

Or Miyamoto is cray cray.

The firm has also been busy securing third-party support with Sega, Square Enix, Ubisoft, Activision and Warner Bros already onboard.

The lack of EA in that list is disappointing.

I wonder what form Mario will take on NX. Will it be a more casual orientated game (NSMB/SM3DW) or will it be a more ambitious 3D platformer that tries to push the genre forward.

Hopefully it will be something like Mario 64/Sunshine in terms of movement and a more open game.

I'd love to know why it wouldn't appeal to PS4 gamers in his mind.

I hate the thought of them trying to move phone users to it - one because I think it's a suicide mission, and also how does this affect their game development? Unless it doesn't, it just feels confident that with a combination of mobile games and connection and IP raising to the NX people will move over and get these bigger, more complex games.