NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Looking on Gaf its the lastest generation of Nvidia Tegra & apparently the current-gen Nvidia GPU architecture, used in the GTX 10xx line.

Supposedly a subscriber only article on Semiaccurate said

And aparently there is some chipset conference in August where its expected Nvidia are showcasing their newest tech, so perhaps an announcement around that time will occur if the Nvidia rumours are true?

I'm well on this hype train now

giphy.gif

So better, or different, than the X2 that's been referenced? Better is good, different...hmm. Why isn't it an X3, or is it, or what? Bit interesting on them possibly taking a loss or fighting so hard to secure a console deal(especially settling for Nintendo given WiiU's performance) - if it IS at a loss I wonder if they might be doing it at a flat rate loss and then a potential profit per console sold, if that makes any sense. So like...the better the console does the better they do, with an equilibrium number needed to sell to break even or then profit.

Edited by Rummy

So better, or different, than the X2 that's been referenced? Better is good, different...hmm. Why isn't it an X3, or is it, or what? Bit interesting on them possibly taking a loss or fighting so hard to secure a console deal(especially settling for Nintendo given WiiU's performance) - if it IS at a loss I wonder if they might be doing it at a flat rate loss and then a potential profit per console sold, if that makes any sense. So like...the better the console does the better they do, with an equilibrium number needed to sell to break even or then profit.

It's the same as the X2 that's being referenced, the X2 has yet to be formally announced. The NX dev kits reportedly use a fan cooled X1, so it could be assumed that its being overclocked to run at the base clock speed of the X2.

It would be great news if true, as it would put the console closer to the Xbox One than the Wii U in terms of processing power. From the little that I know about graphics card technology the fact that could be using Pascal architecture is very exciting, as its much more efficient than previous tech due to the larger number of transistors they can fit in a chip with the Pascal tech.

I dunno, X2 reminds me of the second X-Men film, which was awesome.

The Last Stand was a bit shitty. So, this could be a good omen.

NX-men.

If it gets the Tegra X2 chip and the dock for TV use is the (finally acquired) Supplemental Computing Device patent, then the NX could very well be a fantastic bit of kit!

If the handheld is Tegra 2 then surely it wouldn't need to be boosted by a dock st all. That would be fantastic power wouldn't it?

Could the Tegra 2 be in the dock as a boost to the Tegra 1 in the handheld?

I literally have no idea how any of this works. I know PCs can scale up and down, doesn't make any sense to me how that could work on a handheld to home console, it can either work or not. Better resolution/frame rate only does so much doesn't it?

If the handheld is Tegra 2 then surely it wouldn't need to be boosted by a dock st all. That would be fantastic power wouldn't it?

Could the Tegra 2 be in the dock as a boost to the Tegra 1 in the handheld?

I literally have no idea how any of this works. I know PCs can scale up and down, doesn't make any sense to me how that could work on a handheld to home console, it can either work or not. Better resolution/frame rate only does so much doesn't it?

It would need to boost the resolution regardless of Tegra 2.

540p on a TV would look horrible.

It would need to boost the resolution regardless of Tegra 2.

540p on a TV would look horrible.

Meh, just make it a fairly small TV and you'd be fine :P

By fairly small I absolutely mean that you'd be better off playing on the handheld

But seriously, this Pascal/X2/Days of Future Past talk has me all pretty excited. If Nvidia does indeed show off its tech at some point in August, and they are indeed working with Nintendo on the NX, then surely a September reveal for the NX is locked in at this point?

I wonder how warm this thing will get when being used as a handheld.

I wonder if the fact its display is rumoured to be 540p means that the processor can run more efficiently when playing on the go, allowing the system to run cooler and for longer, but the processor can then kick up and use its full power when docked and connected to TV and running games at higher resolutions.

I'm not sure how much processing power is freed up when rendering games at almost half the resolution but I'm sure it would be a substantial amount and maybe enough to give the console a reasonable battery life and efficiency.

I wonder if the fact its display is rumoured to be 540p means that the processor can run more efficiently when playing on the go, allowing the system to run cooler and for longer, but the processor can then kick up and use its full power when docked and connected to TV and running games at higher resolutions.

I'm not sure how much processing power is freed up when rendering games at almost half the resolution but I'm sure it would be a substantial amount and maybe enough to give the console a reasonable battery life and efficiency.

In before the "dock" is revealed to be just be a bladeless Dyson fan! :D

12048-fan.jpg

I must have missed these 540p rumours, can anyone shed any light?

There were some rumours towards the end of last year that pointed towards the screen resolution of the handheld portion being 540p. The rumours also stated that it would be two devices though, so I don't think they really have much weight to them but I just thought restricting the resolution when playing on the go would be a good way to converse power.

No, I want a traditional Nintendo home console.

Its looking like I'm getting a handheld that connects to the tele. Is this going to be as powerful as the PS4?

Are games going to be targeted towards the small screen or the TV?

Why do we need all of the removable bits and bobs?

If the NX is this then Nintendo really needs to send a clear message to the consumer explaining and showing what it is about otherwise we could be in another Wii U mess due to confused consumers.

I've forgotten what a traditional Nintendo console is!

I'm not sure it's important where games will be targetted. If we ask ourselves if there ever was wide gulf between portable and handheld games design, do we really come to the conclusion that there is? Remember all those SNES ports on GBA, or core titles like Doom, Resident Evil, The World Ends With You, Monster Hunter 4 appearing on handhelds? Heck, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy are on mobile! If there was/is such a difference between handheld and home gaming, it's a difference that is dictated by technology; handheld technology just was not on par with in-situ technology, that's where the gulf existed. Handheld technology was always a generation or two behind. That has changed in the last few years, and Nintendo are - allegedly - proposing a system that recognises that handheld tech has (nearly) caught up.

Sure, I think certain concessions may have been made to, ahem, portable-ise a core game (added save points and suspend play, for example)... But would these techniques deminish the equivelent title on a home console? I don't think they would.

The screen resolution has to be 540p minimum. Will be ridiculous if nintendo go less than that.

I'm mad excited for how powerful this could be for a handheld. The difference between this and the 3ds could be one crazy upgrade

Edited by liger05

No, I want a traditional Nintendo home console.

Its looking like I'm getting a handheld that connects to the tele. Is this going to be as powerful as the PS4?

Are games going to be targeted towards the small screen or the TV?

Why do we need all of the removable bits and bobs?

If the NX is this then Nintendo really needs to send a clear message to the consumer explaining and showing what it is about otherwise we could be in another Wii U mess due to confused consumers.

Same I want a Home Console and a Handheld on there own

There's no way they would go 540p. Maybe only for the handheld and the tv would output the game at 720/1080 but even then. I think either 720p handheld/1080p TV or 900p for both.

Yes Nintendo have to be extremely clear leaving no confusion. Shit I would be happy if they just showed this off and said handheld more powerful than Wii U. Play new Zelda on the move..

The rumours of the spec are quite surprise. Just don't expect Nintendo to release hardware which is cutting edge. Really excited by what I'm reading.

I've been apprehensive about all of this so far and I'm certainly concerned about how everything is going to turn out.. but who cares..? ::shrug:

BRING ON THE HYPE :bouncy:

I hope Nintendo speak to the people who run dolphin. That looks sick on the Nvidia shield.

The screen resolution has to be 540p minimum. Will be ridiculous if nintendo go less than that.

I'm mad excited for how powerful this could be for a handheld. The difference between this and the 3ds could be one crazy upgrade

Jeez man, all that crazy power in a handheld? Insane.

My mind is genuinely blown with stuff like Monster Hunter and the N64 Zelda games being on 3DS. There's only so much I can take (and need) on a portable. I'm not sure more is more when it comes to the small screen. Nintendo can go ahead and make it as powerful as they want, of course, and I will be the last to complain but the ideas have got to be there when it comes to software, not just extra mad processing power. And the new Zelda? It would be criminal to play it on a handheld. From the little snippets I've seen it demands a 14 inch TV atleast.

@Nicktendo makes good points.

Jeez man, all that crazy power in a handheld? Insane.

My mind is genuinely blown with stuff like Monster Hunter and the N64 Zelda games being on 3DS. There's only so much I can take (and need) on a portable. I'm not sure more is more when it comes to the small screen. Nintendo can go ahead and make it as powerful as they want, of course, and I will be the last to complain but the ideas have got to be there when it comes to software, not just extra mad processing power. And the new Zelda? It would be criminal to play it on a handheld. From the little snippets I've seen it demands a 14 inch TV atleast.

@Nicktendo makes good points.

I think Zelda on a handheld will be amazing. I would never of thought I could play a game like that on a handheld.

I am not believeing this rumour until Nintendo says something because they did say in 2015 that it was a Home Console

I am not believeing this rumour until Nintendo says something because they did say in 2015 that it was a Home Console

Same. I think people are investing too much energy (and emotion) on something that remains just a rumour - Eurogamer have got stuff wrong in the past.

Same. I think people are investing too much energy (and emotion) on something that remains just a rumour - Eurogamer have got stuff wrong in the past.

It's not just Eurogamer though. There are multiple sources.

I think Nintendo have controlled the leaks to a certain extent

There's no way they would go 540p. Maybe only for the handheld and the tv would output the game at 720/1080 but even then. I think either 720p handheld/1080p TV or 900p for both.

could be 360p/540p in handheld mode, then double for the tv - keeps things simple. If things look ok on a 32 inch tv (what is the average tv size these days?) it should look great on a 6 inch or however large the handheld portion would be. 480p is about what the 3ds is capable of, so 540p would be a modest increase in output and tbh is most likely in my head, with the main console aiming for 1080p 30 or 720 60

The only reason I think 540p is because it would dramatically reduce the work being done by the console - a quarter of the screen.. doesn't necessarily mean a quarter of the work, but it would reduce the heat of the chips a lot quicker - once a chip gets too hot it needs a LOT of active cooling. keeping it cool would allow it to be cooled passively, and the easiest way to do that is dropping resolution

Edited by Pestneb