NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I'd love to know why it wouldn't appeal to PS4 gamers in his mind.

If "here's a console with lower technical specs from the PS4, a touch-screen controller and fantastic Nintendo titles" didn't work with the Wii U, why would it with the NX? Yeah the PS4 came out in the middle of that, but it's hardly like there's going to be an upswing towards the option now the PS4 (and One) is out.

I hate the thought of them trying to move phone users to it - one because I think it's a suicide mission, and also how does this affect their game development? Unless it doesn't, it just feels confident that with a combination of mobile games and connection and IP raising to the NX people will move over and get these bigger, more complex games.

Maybe the angle is "hey smartphone users, you love playing games on the go - how about this [which costs less than a phone off contract] which can play much greater games [and access to back catalogue]?"

I think it really does come down to costs and the marketing.

If "here's a console with lower technical specs from the PS4, a touch-screen controller and fantastic Nintendo titles" didn't work with the Wii U, why would it with the NX? Yeah the PS4 came out in the middle of that, but it's hardly like there's going to be an upswing towards the option now the PS4 (and One) is out.

Maybe the angle is "hey smartphone users, you love playing games on the go - how about this [which costs less than a phone off contract] which can play much greater games [and access to back catalogue]?"

I think it really does come down to costs and the marketing.

1. Well if it is a really low price point, it has a new Zelda, new Mario, and the output should equate or even better than 3ds and Wii u combined, plus it is much closer in power to ps4 than Wii U; I see these reasons as being more attractive to gamers than Wii u with its staggeringly bare release schedule.

As for smart phones, I get the general idea, just don't see it working. Hope it does, but seriously doubt it.

1. Well if it is a really low price point, it has a new Zelda, new Mario, and the output should equate or even better than 3ds and Wii u combined, plus it is much closer in power to ps4 than Wii U; I see these reasons as being more attractive to gamers than Wii u with its staggeringly bare release schedule.

As for smart phones, I get the general idea, just don't see it working. Hope it does, but seriously doubt it.

Hmm fair enough. I suppose it depends on what the magic price is for people that might be tempted. There might be a large chunk of the PS4 fanbase that simply don't care about Nintendo's games any more.

I suppose it also depends on what the NX's range of Nintendo games look like*. Zelda is a promising start because its trying new things.

*and by that I mean in terms of gameplay etc, not visuals. Bad phraseology I know.

Edited by Ashley

Hmm fair enough. I suppose it depends on what the magic price is for people that might be tempted. There might be a large chunk of the PS4 fanbase that simply don't care about Nintendo's games any more.

I suppose it also depends on what the NX's range of Nintendo games look like. Zelda is a promising start because its trying new things.

Yeah exactly. THat's why I wished the person explained WHY they thought that, didn't know if there was a specific reason, or just a general feeling.

In fairness Nintendo has long claimed Microsoft/Sony aren't "direct competitors" so it's just that coming to fruition.

So if the NX is actually a handheld that happens to connect to the TV is that Nintendo dropping out of the home console market?

So if the NX is actually a handheld that happens to connect to the TV is that Nintendo dropping out of the home console market?

No they're just innovating again instead of releasing the same box over and over

I think they are quietly dropping out of the home console market. If anything I think they're trying to set up a new market between smart phones and consoles.

If they hadn't had said Game Freak, I'd believe it, but they did so I don't

Could just be Pokémon Snap 2 which the fans all want :heh:

I believe MCV. They're a pretty credible source for what it's worth.

Things are sounding a lot better than the Wii U launch. Not sire about that quite saying they are targeting smartphone users.

A powerful handheld targets gamers full stop.

EA will jump in if the hardware sells

Edited by liger05

I don't think it will be that close to the power of PS4. It's got to be mobile compatible. Certainly not enough for easy PS4 game porting.

Like Ashley said, most of the issues present with the Wii U are here too. The main thing it has going for it is that it brings handheld and console buyers to one device.

No they're just innovating again instead of releasing the same box over and over

Oh God. Please stop Nintendo.

Things are sounding a lot better than the Wii U launch. Not sire about that quite saying they are targeting smartphone users.

A powerful handheld targets gamers full stop.

Maybe they're targeting them more because they know "hardcore" (urgh) gamers are likely to pick it up anyway because as you said, there's an existing interest in a powerful handheld console.

Just don't tell that to the Vita ;)

Well I think it's both. So no I don't think they are dropping out, I just think they feel their business is best served by doing a hyrbid, and maybe the technology has finally caught up so that's a realistic proposition.

I don't think it will be that close to the power of PS4. It's got to be mobile compatible. Certainly not enough for easy PS4 game porting.

Like Ashley said, most of the issues present with the Wii U are here too. The main thing it has going for it is that it brings handheld and console buyers to one device.

Ultimately we don't know yet, it could be really close, as for porting, I have no idea if the tegra stuff is easy to port to, is it not? That's a huge problem if so.

What issues with the Wii U? It sounding too similar? Maybe. Especially if the gaming public are confused about the NX - "so what, this is just a slightly updated Wii U" like they were with the WIi U then Nintendo will have effed up again, but I feel there is enough in all this to think it could be appealing to the wider gaming base. Like you and others said in other boards, people do want to play Nintendo games, maybe not enough to buy a console for Smash/Zelda/Mario; but what if that console was pretty cheap, and extra value of handheld and a home console in one, and also that rather than a few Nintendo games that appeals, maybe there's a good 20. Maybe it would appeal as a second console.

It's all guess work. And to be honest I'm not that confident, but there's 'some' cause for a certain amount of hope.

Could just be Pokémon Snap 2 which the fans all want :heh:

I believe MCV. They're a pretty credible source for what it's worth.

They said Game Freak. Game Freak only develops main games.

And I don't trust MCV. They have been wrong many times and when they had comments, they banned me because I kept correcting misinformation they were spreading :p

Maybe they're targeting them more because they know "hardcore" (urgh) gamers are likely to pick it up anyway because as you said, there's an existing interest in a powerful handheld console.

Just don't tell that to the Vita ;)

Nothing to do with the post as such, but saying "hardcore" (and casual) gives me the same reaction; have we come up with better terms for this yet? To distinguish people who play games every so often and people who spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds and hours on the hobby?

I have no issue with the term causal or hardcore. For example, I would use the terms to describe a person who follows football, goes to every match, looks at stats etc. as a hardcore fan. People who watch the odd match or simply watch the international games I would say are casual football fans.

My issue with this whole targeting the mobile market is how fickle that audience can be. I mean, they left Nintendo up the creek when they didn't return for the Wii U. I'd rather they cater to core gamers first and once a solid base has been built then start trying to reach the expanded audience. If you target them first then the core may shun away from it altogether.

Before the Wii U launch Iwata spoke about this.

"The Wii was able to reach a large number of new consumers who had never played games before by bringing hands-on experiences with its Wii Sports and Wii Fit," he explained.

"However, we could not adequately create the situation that such new consumers played games frequently or for long, consistent periods. As a result, we could not sustain a good level of profit.

"Moreover, regrettably, what we prioritised in order to reach out to the new audience was a bit too far from what we prioritised for those who play games as their hobby. Consequently, we presume some people felt that the Wii was not a game system for them or they were not willing to play with the Wii even though some compelling games had been released."

"Once consumers have a notion that 'this system is not for us', we have learned that it is extremely difficult to change their perceptions later," said Iwata.

Great post @Hero\-of\-Time, the only mistake with Iwata's statement is that it should say this:

..."Once consumers have a notion of 'Nintendo is not for us', we have learned that it is extremely difficult to change their perceptions later,"...

The only mistake with Iwata's statement is that it should say this:

It's funny because in my experience I have certainly found the change you made to be true. My oldest nephew and my oldest brother are fine examples of this. Both really despise Nintendo and won't give them the time of day, despite both of them loving Nintendo offerings when they were younger.

Nintendo have suffered for a long time with how many gamers perceive them. Maybe that's why they go after the expanded audience because a lot of them wont have any preconceptions about the company.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I remember a friend questioning why Zombi U is on the Wii U because "Nintendo is for kids"

I remember a friend questioning why Zombi U is on the Wii U because "Nintendo is for kids"

This is exactly what I was talking about. They just can't shake that image.

It's a shame people aren't more opened minded about the company. Yeah, they make mistakes and have cocked up this generation badly ( at least in terms of sales, their games are still killer IMO ), but their visual style and polish is something that most games just don't have these days. Many gamers are missing out simply because they think a game looks like a cartoon or childlike.

Nintendo could literally take over the world, and put half the population of the world to death and there'd still be people who think they're only for kids.

The thing is, Nintendo HAD the mature audience with the N64. That console, for all its problems, did well in the West and was praised for its western focused catalogue. When it came to sports titles and FPS's, it was the king of that generation.

Nintendo's entire software strategy around the Gamecube and its marketing was such a clusterfuck. They let Microsoft come in and dominate the FPS space, a genre which they owned on the N64, and from day one they said that the Gamecube's audience was children.

They've simply never recovered.

Regarding Zombie U, I am amazed Ubisoft made that game for the Wii U. Everything Nintendo showed off, from Nintendo Land to Wii Fit U to NSMBU, suggested that Zombie U's audience was not the Wii U audience. You can't just put one mature exclusive on a console and expect people to flock to it. It's the equivalent of Microsoft releasing a 2D platformer and expecting all Nintendo fans to purchase the XBO; it just ain't happening.

ZombiU was actually the reason I bought on day one. I thought it had a great use of the Gamepad. The game hasn't aged well and the pad was never really used in a way I liked after that.

Didn't Zombi U sell a million copies? That's not bad is it?

Nintendo can change their image, but it needs a sustained approach. The question is do they want to, and should they even?

Aiming for the family market doesn't hurt Disney or Pixar.