NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Made Nintendo need to announce it with an Oprah moment.

Edited by Ashley

I am wrong in thinking there is not an actual delay? This is the first time they have announced the launch date so why is everybody saying there is a 4 month delay?

Maybe they wanted to launch pre Christmas and hit snags, maybe they wanted to give Wii U one more Christmas period to drain every last drop of sales from it and maybe that's just when the NX will be ready.

Maybe there is no NX and it's all just some Japanese joke.

To be fair, they were NX-nominated.

I take it with NX being delayed you will now be getting a PS4 for your FFXV fix?

Definitely so! And the thing with acquiring a PS4 for the first time is the backlog, as well as future games - and with no NX in the near future, its easy customer picking for Sony and Microsoft.

Then when the NX does finally arrive, and the PS4 is filling my console spot, I'll be automatically on the fence as I just don't have time for two consoles.

Ah well.

An article off LinkedIn of what Nintendo could do with 2016:

http://mashable.com/2016/04/28/nintendo-2016-plans/?#rIZF_JzX0Eq8

I am wrong in thinking there is not an actual delay? This is the first time they have announced the launch date so why is everybody saying there is a 4 month delay?

Maybe they wanted to launch pre Christmas and hit snags, maybe they wanted to give Wii U one more Christmas period to drain every last drop of sales from it and maybe that's just when the NX will be ready.

Not releasing before Christmas is an incredibly risky move, for many, many reasons that I think we've all gone into.

One of the major pointers to this being a delay is that we were last year promised more information at this year's E3 by the late Iwata (may he rest in peace). I mean, his death alone left a massive void in Nintendo.

What makes even less sense, though, is that we're seeing a game scheduled for an NX launch next year, the new Zelda game. With the informed rumours that porting games will be easier than ever this time around, the only viable argument for the delay seems to be manufacturing issues.

Because we all know that Nintendo ideally needed a release before Christmas of this year.

It's possible plans can be changed though right? if they bring the date forward or move it backward.... But I think maybe Iwata's death could have had an impact on productivity - actually I am certain it did. Mourning is a pretty crappy mode to be in, and I'm pretty sure when I've been doing it I haven't had my mind 100% on the task. So the death of the big boss will have affected those who were round him at the top... pretty sure Zelda development team will have been very affected, NX development team, Miyamoto etc. Rather than rush out a lot of rubbish in time for christmas, they did the " a rushed console is always crappy, a delayed console..." thing. better to have a steady stream of games coming out.... also if they do a My Nintendo thing, where we get big bonuses for being early adopters, they can build up a 10 million or so user base fairly quickly... if they can get that in time for Christmas 2017 then do a big out reach for gamers around November/December with marketing, hopefully having a viable system with an attractive early library.....

sure Christmas would be ideal, but I do think maybe Iwata's death could have been the thing that pushed all this backward...

I have to say that this delay is good for me.

I will have time now to play the Wii U games I haven't played yet, but also it gives me the chance to buy the NX almost at launch (I have to order it from Germany, which means that I need cash for it).

Made Nintendo need to announce it with an Oprah moment.

You mean with a Saturn moment.

"This is the NX. It's on store shelves RIGHT NOW. You get an NX! You get an NX! Everyone gets an NX!"

cde.jpg

[tweet]725840703452893185[/Tweet]

erretro204cgu.png

Firstly, I hope this is true. Far better to hold on to their game for the NX rather than release it on a failing platform.

Secondly, of course it's not DKR2 as Monster Games are handling that. :p

Lastly, screw the new IP! It's time for Eternal Darkness to make a return. :grin:

I've heard the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumour for so long now I just assumed it to be true, will be sad if we don't get something along those lines.

Great for Retro to be making a new IP.

But this only further weakens the NX launch from where I'm standing, because regardless of how good the game could turn out to be, it won't sell like a home console Metroid game would.

But it might draw attention in a way a Metroid game would not. New IPs may not sell as well as established franchises most of the time, but they do get a lot of attention.

I'd actually rather have something new than safe. Nintendo has played it safe this time around (in terms of software). I want to see some risks.

Great for Retro to be making a new IP.

But this only further weakens the NX launch from where I'm standing, because regardless of how good the game could turn out to be, it won't sell like a home console Metroid game would.

I don't think Metroid sells that well tbh? That's why they barely make them. New IP is good, look at the success of Splatoon

I don't think Metroid sells that well tbh? That's why they barely make them. New IP is good, look at the success of Splatoon

He's not talking about unit sales, he's referring to how many consoles it may sell. Metroid Prime was the reason why a number of U.K retailers decided against dropping the Gamecube just a few months after launch.

That said, I'm all for a new I.P. Hopefully it's got some good western appeal to help sell some consoles and bring in a wider audience who are no longer interested in Nintendo.

Guys! Let's all just admit the truth.

It's a gritty reboot of Devil's World.

Also, doesn't the tweet flat out say "Rumour", but spelt incorrectly? Let's not go too mental on this.

Yeah, that's the American spelling.

Like colour becomes color, centre becomes center...

perhaps the guys we sent over initially weren't the best when it came to spelling

On another note, I'm all for the IP; I just fail to see how it would help shift consoles in a way the presence of another big Nintendo property would have. But FINALLY we get something else original, I remember it had been a LOOOOOONG time coming when Splatoon came around. Let's hope they don't disappoint.

Isn't that how people in the US spell rumour?

Yep, they spell it incorrectly.

Am I on Miiverse or something. That went right over your head, huh?

Yep, they spell it incorrectly.

Am I on Miiverse or something. That went right over your head, huh?

I guess that joke of yours was just trousers ::shrug:

Yeah, that's the American spelling.

Like colour becomes color, centre becomes center...

perhaps the guys we sent over initially weren't the best when it came to spelling

Actually the spelling of the word "colour" (and similar words) existed without the 'u' in English before America was even a thing. The British standardised it with a 'u' and the Americans took the more logical (i.e. more akin to how we actually say it) spelling when they standardised it.

And that's the random linguistic history lesson for the day.

I love Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country Returns but part of me fears that, for whatever reason, Retro's next game will be something which won't appeal to me :eek:

Hopefully it is amazing, though :heh:

Actually the spelling of the word "colour" (and similar words) existed without the 'u' in English before America was even a thing. The British standardised it with a 'u' and the Americans took the more logical (i.e. more akin to how we actually say it) spelling when they standardised it.

And that's the random linguistic history lesson for the day.

Simple strokes for simple folks I guess?