NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I think GTA 5 is a good move for nintendo. Having that Day 1 would send out the right message and give us some kind of hope for GTA going forward.

good test to see if the nintendo fanbase will buy these kind of games. That game still sells very well on PS4. Its old yes but people are still buying this game.

I would be very impressed if this was released on NX and would buy it day 1.

But it isn't a good test. It's a years old game - like Batman and such wasn't a good test either. People who want it, already bought it. For me it would have the reverse affect - it wouldn't sell well which would make everyone think 3rd parties wouldn't sell on nintendo. It needs brand new current multi platform games.

But it isn't a good test. It's a years old game - like Batman and such wasn't a good test either. People who want it, already bought it. For me it would have the reverse affect - it wouldn't sell well which would make everyone think 3rd parties wouldn't sell on nintendo. It needs brand new current multi platform games.

You say that yet every month in the US GTA5 is right at the top of the pile.

This game sells truckloads even though it's old.

I agree with @liger05. GTA is one of those games that is universally popular. I thought it was too late for MineCraft on the Wii U but that stayed at the top of the eshop charts for a long time.

Daubed, you think it's a handheld, fine, but stop trying to make out it's pretty much certain based on really bizarre and twisted logic.You keep moving the goalposts to just make sure you are right.

Anyways, I'm going back to my original prediction and it's a pure hybrid. Handheld console wii u powered; streams to the TV. Fuck 3rd parties. £100. Nintendo box!!!!

Maybe the delay has to do something with PS4K as they want a more powerful console so they had to see what the PS4K actually is.

I've also read that one of the manufacturers won't have the chips ready till 2017, so this could also be the reason as they maybe want the new chips.

I will at least hope for that :D.

Maybe the delay has to do something with PS4K as they want a more powerful console so they had to see what the PS4K actually is.

I've also read that one of the manufacturers won't have the chips ready till 2017, so this could also be the reason as they maybe want the new chips.

I will at least hope for that :D.

If it can't be ready for 2016 of course it's better to wait. I just feel the original plan would of been a holiday season release but something has happened to not make that possible.

Advertising expenses has decreased from 54,834 million yen to 46,636 million yen although Nintendo expect to spend 50,000 million yen on advertising by the end of March 2017

Source

So Nintendo expects to advertise a new console (amongst everything else) for less than they spent between April 2014 and March 2015?

Source

So Nintendo expects to advertise a new console (amongst everything else) for less than they spent between April 2014 and March 2015?

Nintendo's suicide confirmed if so!

Deary me, what on earth are they thinking?!

Unless they have a completely different budget for that which isn't mentioned because it wasn't relevant in the last two years (i.e. no console launches) but would be remiss to exclude it if that's true.

Or they're just going to blow that budget up.

They pretty much haven't got many games coming out this year, and the likes of Fire Emblem and Paper Mario aren't things that tend to get big advertising blowouts anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if most of that budget is towards Zelda/NX. Also exchange rates could effect that figure.

Pokémon Sun and Moon I imagine will have a fair bit of money spent on it, even if the franchise does kind of sell itself.

I wonder what the average is they spend for each game. I'm getting targeted adverts for Kirby at the moment so they at least do something for each game!

But shhh Paul, I want a big blowout event we can go to for the launch ;)

Pokémon Sun and Moon I imagine will have a fair bit of money spent on it, even if the franchise does kind of sell itself.

I wonder what the average is they spend for each game. I'm getting targeted adverts for Kirby at the moment so they at least do something for each game!

But shhh Paul, I want a big blowout event we can go to for the launch ;)

True, 50,000 million yen is no way near enough for free alcohol at launch events :grin:

Source

Most of the advertising money they've saved this generation has been down to stopping the E3 live conferences. Those flashy lights and free alcohol were expensive ;)

You've heard of return on investment, right?

You could argue there's a correlation between E3 presence, buzz and sales. They've all gone down as the years go by.

i just don't know where to begin

So a console is launching in March (didn't the wiiu launch then over here?) that will have no presence at E3 (or will it?) Zelda is confirmed to be NX Wiiu simultanious launch, Zelda will be the only playable game at E3

I can't believe its a handheld, not from the rumours from 3rd party dev kits - the lack of any E3 mention of the console is very bad, whilst it may be devalued it is still a big event and should be utilised for the free advertising and hype. They could (and should) reveal the console name and some minor details as part of an E3 event.

The march release is very odd, but perhaps they fear going up against the PS4K? missing the Christmas rush might be a mistake a really silly one.

The march thing i can't see pointing to a handheld, the 3DS is doing very well, the WiiU is dead, just because the handheld traditionally launches in march and is due first should not detract from all the other rumours and need for a console launch.

That said the tweet about not replacing the Wiiu AND 3DS could be hinting that what is released covers both - aka a hybrid of sorts

I still can't get over the E3 thing though, jesus nintendo what is this hari kari?

I think Nintendo could just be stepping away from the traditional gaming industry. Seems that way. Pretty much no presence at e3. Nothing released of note on a home console for the whole year (after a pretty barren 2015). 3DS and Wii U severely dying. No xmas launch and missing all the years biggest games (or if they do come out, missed the boat). Feels like they're just admitting their position, refusing to play along and doing their own thing.

Either that or they're just willing to take a couple of bad years, saving all their development teams, launching only when it's ready and the games are ready and absolutely going to smash it out of the water!!

Can't help but feel the NX is going to have a marketing presence at the Super Bowl next year (February 5th). I think Pokémon's near pointless $5 million ad in the Super Bowl just gone shows that they may want to go down that route.

Especially with it being a month before release? Makes far too much sense to me for them not to go ahead with a big Super Bowl presence.

I think Nintendo could just be stepping away from the traditional gaming industry. Seems that way. Pretty much no presence at e3. Nothing released of note on a home console for the whole year (after a pretty barren 2015). 3DS and Wii U severely dying. No xmas launch and missing all the years biggest games (or if they do come out, missed the boat). Feels like they're just admitting their position, refusing to play along and doing their own thing.

Either that or they're just willing to take a couple of bad years, saving all their development teams, launching only when it's ready and the games are ready and absolutely going to smash it out of the water!!

It made me suspect that they might be stepping away from the games industry and move onto mostly mobile.

But *if* that was the case, why bother with NX at all?

Just got around to reading their official tweet about the release:

The next generation of #Nintendo is coming March 2017! #NX

next generation

Don't know about you guys but this definitely doesn't just feel like a change in home console. It sounds more like a revamp of their entire line.

Hybrid or not, could they be simultaneously releasing the new home console and the new handheld? That would be bold.

Very bold.

WTF!? Just realised that it seems that Smash Bros Brawl (yes Brawl, not Smash 4) sold roughly half a million copies last year!!

That's just nuts! :o (NSMB Wii also managed another 280,000 copies and MK Wii did 220,000! Games from 2008 and 2009 respectively! HOW!?)

7.5 million copies of MK8 also puts it at near Wii Sports levels of attach rate to hardware. Wow!

Edited by Dcubed

I imagine its pretty expected for Nintendo games such as MK8 to have high attach rates. People buy their machines for their games.

Excellent numbers nonetheless.

I imagine its pretty expected for Nintendo games such as MK8 to have high attach rates. People buy their machines for their games.

Excellent numbers nonetheless.

More than 50% (almost 60% in fact!) is pretty much unprecedented. Only other games that have ever managed that to my knowledge are Wii Sports, the original Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt.

Edited by Dcubed

More than 50% is pretty much unprecedented. Only other games that have ever managed that to my knowledge are Wii Sports, the original Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt.

Apart from Nintendo games there hasn't been much killer apps or a wide range of games on the system.

Like I said they are impressive numbers but i'm not shocked by them at all really. People have bought Nintendo games with MK8 being the system seller if you like. Nothing much else to buy apart from Nintendo games.

With there being no NX presence at E3 and the release being in March, and if it's a home console, I can only see it being successful if:

It's a hybrid.

They hold a dedicated event for it, similar to the Spaceworld's of old but entirely to do with the NX and its software only (no WiiU/3DS stuff at all).

They then put ALL of their marketing budget toward the NX.

It made me suspect that they might be stepping away from the games industry and move onto mostly mobile.

But *if* that was the case, why bother with NX at all?

I don't think mobile, they've said animal crossing and mobile strategy in general is to support their console business. I think they'll release a cheap hybrid and go the nintendo box route. One device they'll be able to make so many games for it, ridiculous amount of games