NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I see no problem with it, other than the fact March is normally incredible for game releases. Which if you've already got a PS4/XB1, you might be more likely to spend your money on, and further strengthen the back-catalogue of these machines for those looking to buy a new console. Of course if they're going to come to NX, then fine.

You also miss out on the likes of FIFA, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Disney Infinity, Skylanders etc. by launching in March. If you can get these yearly franchises on your console they are bankers for some sales and would pad out the launch lineup and make the console an a lot appealing prospect. Launching in March means you have them late, or not at all until 6 months after launch.

Unless Nintendo plan for a "soft launch" in March with the "hard launch" (is that a thing?) being Christmas next year. Essentially they're looking to get the early adopters in March and spend the rest of the year building up software and awareness and will do a marketing blitz come Christmas?

Unless Nintendo plan for a "soft launch" in March with the "hard launch" (is that a thing?) being Christmas next year. Essentially they're looking to get the early adopters in March and spend the rest of the year building up software and awareness and will do a marketing blitz come Christmas?

That's the only thing I can think of which would make sense to me.

That'd actually be ridiculously clever of Nintendo.

So yeah, probably not. They may just happen onto that strategy by mistake :p

How would that be clever? It sounds like a dumb idea to me. Basically says to early adopters "we're just launching this half-heartedly but we know you'd buy it anyway".

giphy.gif

The risk is that FIFA, NHL, NFL 2017 and that whole lot come out for the Wii U at launch, sell poorly because everyone already got them for the other formats, causing EA to jump ship immediately.

The risk is that FIFA, NHL, NFL 2017 and that whole lot come out for the Wii U at launch, sell poorly because everyone already got them for the other formats, causing EA to jump ship immediately.

They need to let these version pass, don't get them. Start with the iterations next year. They need to make sure they don't get half-hearted and late ports.

They want on par releases.

I know there's a huge danger that brings in pissing off the publishers as it means they'll not get any revenue from those games, but I feel it'd be better for them all in the long-run.

The only benefit I see of that is they can get over any stock shortages by Christmas. I think it'd be better to just have a big launch and hit the ground running. As @kav82 says, any signs of weakness at launch could cause developers to drop support straight off the bat.

The only benefit I see of that is they can get over any stock shortages by Christmas. I think it'd be better to just have a big launch and hit the ground running. As @kav82 says, any signs of weakness at launch could cause developers to drop support straight off the bat.

Exactly. Nintendo are in no position to launch softly. The NX has to shoot right out of the gate.

You also miss out on the likes of FIFA, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Disney Infinity, Skylanders etc. by launching in March. If you can get these yearly franchises on your console they are bankers for some sales and would pad out the launch lineup and make the console an a lot appealing prospect. Launching in March means you have them late, or not at all until 6 months after launch.

Forgot about that. Good point.

Edited by liger05

That would literally be the worst idea ever! All this shite I hear about 'soft launches', this thing needs to come out of the gate like it means business witha real push from day one just like the Wii did.

That would literally be the worst idea ever! All this shite I hear about 'soft launches', this thing needs to come out of the gate like it means business witha real push from day one just like the Wii did.

We've seen what happens when a console fails in the initial launch period. There is no going back.

You get to launch once and only once. There is no second opportunity months down the line. They can't afford to mess this up again.

If it released with Zelda, Retro's game, Pikmin 4, MK8 and Smash NX editions, as well as some third party games would that be "out of the blocks" enough?

Then for the holiday 2017 push they bring the next big 3D Mario game.

That would be a hard launch followed by another "hard launch", might it not? Spaces out Zelda and Mario fairly nicely too. ::shrug:

We've seen what happens when a console fails in the initial launch period. There is no going back.

You get to launch once and only once. There is no second opportunity months down the line. They can't afford to mess this up again.

Tell that to the 3DS... but yes, you are right really.

The 3DS and PS3 show the issue of launching at a too high price. You could probably argue that with the Wii U too - it's still too bloody expensive right now!

Nintendo really need to get this launch right.

The 3DS and PS3 show the issue of launching at a too high price. You could probably argue that with the Wii U too - it's still too bloody expensive right now!

Nintendo really need to get this launch right.

That's absolutely right.

So, question for you guys: how much do you think the NX will cost for us consumers at launch?

Definitely going to be the first Nintendo console to sell for more than £300 at launch, in my opinion. (Then again the premium 32gb Wii U was £300, so that's really not saying much)

That's absolutely right.

So, question for you guys: how much do you think the NX will cost for us consumers at launch?

Definitely going to be the first Nintendo console to sell for more than £300 at launch, in my opinion. (Then again the premium 32gb Wii U was £300, so that's really not saying much)

My thoughts are in here...

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58045&page=4

I'm going to be pessimistic and say it'll be £350 with no pack in title. We'll all be spending at least £500 if we want to pick one up with some games at launch.

I hope it's a lot less, would be great if it was £300 with Zelda but Nintendo always like to make a profit on their systems so unless it's less powerful than the PS4, then we can expect to be spending a lot of money.

That's absolutely right.

GameCube X2... ;)

At launch the GC was £130 so £260 sounds about right to me. :)

Cheaper than the Wii U but around about the same price - perhaps a little more - than current machines on the market.

This is of course for a home console... for a portable?

£195 of course! (GameCube and a half) :p

Those are my predictions, let's lock 'em in! : peace:

I've just got in from work and made a cuppa. I checked the Zelda thread and saw the delay to 2017. Fucking awful. Day ruined.

I saw that this thread had loads of activity. No NX at E3? Are you fucking shitting me? What's this about no playable WiiU games?

I really don't understand what Nintendo are doing? They're becoming more irrelevant by the second. So, what exactly are they going to show at E3? 3DS stuff?

Fucks saaaaaake. Awful day to be a Nintendo fan. They've basically told us to just forget about 2016...in April.

I will be a lot more positive and say that they are preparing something big, really big.

I will be a lot more positive and say that they are preparing something big, really big.

For E3 or for the NX?

@Hero\-of\-Time was updating me this morning while it was all being announced, I couldn't believe it.

No NX at E3, NX launching in March, Zelda delayed to 2017 and only one playable Nintendo game at E3. ONE game!

Only way it could get worse is if they stick Wii or DS in the name. Hell, just call it Wii DS and be done with it.

Also, where has this talk of Retro Studios releasing a game on the Wii U this year come from? Why would they do that?!

It would absolutely crazy if they did that this late in the Wii U's life. Save it for the NX.

Also, where has this talk of Retro Studios releasing a game on the Wii U this year come from? Why would they do that?!

I think people are just pointing out they've not released anything for a while and assuming it will be Wii U. Nothing confirmed at the moment.

For E3 or for the NX?

NX :). I mean, if it's not something big, than the only other reason, which wouldn't be a big problem, could be that they have to wait a bit longer for the tech they want to use.

I just don't want to think negative, but it's easier for me as I haven't played most of the Wii U games so I could wait another 2 years.